American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:19 pm 

[quote="Michael Lauer"]In my attempts to return I found that after months of officially requesting reinstatement into the club my name had still yet to be added back into the roster. While this is trivial and I do not know the circumstances behind the delay. The point I am terribly attempting to make is we need to figure out why people are leaving and what we can do to keep those we have active and bring in new members. I am sure this has already been discussed and wont go into details here. We need to keep the initiative on this and not lose it and become totally reactive.[/quote]

Speaking as someone who is/has been a webmaster & admin person in 5 different Clubs over 11 years, it boils down to a few things. The CSA really has gone down to the bare bones when it comes to webmasters. Nick Kunz is doing his best to keep most of that part of the show alive. You use to have a Club was flush with webmasters, but many have come & go and some don't do it anymore. The systems you have around it awards, dossiers et al, all of the "perks" some are not as easy to maintain as others. I personally have not stuck my hand up to help with army websites in years due to the very consuming task of keeping Officer Dossiers up to date. I tried once at the NWC years and years ago with a small army of 20+ men and could barely keep up. Nick basically does all of the CSA, except the ANV, which Steve Kitchen does.

Another issue involved are who initially receives a request, how long it takes to get to the right person and how much time it takes that person to get to it. Speaking as someone who used to have a lot of free time to manage a lot in four or five Clubs, I no longer have that time for one really, let alone the many I did and I have no idea how I did it either. But sometimes the most basic of tasks can get lost in the shuffle, of daily life, of email inboxes, what have you.

A further issue is treatment of volunteer/admin staff and also how spread out they are. We sort of arrived in this predicament due to the poor people skills of a previous CoA, who is no longer a Club member. I don't want to start a fight about it, but a lot of folks who were good admins were basically shoved out of their spots for various reasons. We in various command levels had spent years building up a good system and finding people who would work in key spots and having to find others when the folks in those spots had issues come up. But the system wasn't broke, it needed some fine tuning, but not a overhaul. Now it has been enough time since then that a lot of those folks have moved onto other things or have become more busy in real life than they were even prior. Treatment of people does a lot when it comes to these things. Another club I know is slowly learning the hard way on what happens when you mistreat folks. If you take the time to support & build up your staff , they will work wonders for you. :) The other segment of this is as volunteers decline, unless you have a real streamlined & centralized system, you have to retool things. Reducing spots that are open, getting key staff in those spots, building them up, motivating them & treating them well and presenting a helpful style of command to newcomers with key contacts can go a long way to helping an organization become better & do some of the things you cite.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:22 pm 

I've been pretty much a non-entity for a bit, and I first offer my apologies to the members of the CSA that I was unable to continue my duties as CoA. 2014 has not been a good year and as it progressed I found myself with less motivation or ability to get much accomplished. I thank General McOmish for stepping forward once I resigned and again offer my apologies to everyone for my shortcomings.

I also believe option C to be a good move.

Highest regards,[/quote]

I am sorry to hear it has been such a bad year. I hope things eventually get better for you Neal.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:16 am 

HI,

Option C looks good. Easy and keeps some historical value.

Regards

MG Bonferroni

Army of the West

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:54 am 

Option C

with one change "Army of Tennessee"
We must take back Tennessee :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:40 am 
Most has been said already, so I will only add a thank you to Cam and all the others who have committed to revitalizing the CSA army of our ACWGC. I believe our basic structure is sound, and a little tweaking with option C and "a few good men" committed to leadership positions will return our CSA to health and glory!

So you've got my vote and support. I do think an affirmative muster program is a minimum requirement for encouraging continuing and regular participation by members who are at least minimally committed to membership!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:28 pm 

I prefer option (C), that reduces the work is always better. :D :D
I don't want to switch back to none,Although I am new, I am available to give help as possible.
Regards

2nd Division
III Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:52 pm 

Option C sounds fine to me as the most feasible plan.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:02 pm 

Sir,

Option c sounds fine, although I happen to enjoy the system that we have when it is running correctly and I hate to see it removed. With the changing times and the current situation I guess we must adapt for the good of the community. I must say that over the years and maybe it's a bit selfish, that I liked looking over my dossier and seeing how I progressed and the progression of others. I enjoyed the since of accomplishment I got from it..

Nathan Bedford Forest Cavalry Corp (3rd)
Army of The West

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:34 pm 

C sounds like the best solution to me.

Army of Georgia
CSA

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance"
MG John Sedgewick-1864

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:50 pm 

Sir,

I am fine with any option. I do request that the western army be the Army of Tennessee, though, if, as seems likely, we adopt option C. It was the largest Confederate army in the west, and participated in most of the largest battles in the western theater.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_Tennessee

Respectfully,

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:25 pm 

As I have said to Gen Whitehead, my only attachment to the Army of the West was that it had a great flag :D – but if the Army of Tennessee is what we should go with then I am ok. 8)

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:43 pm 
On April 2, 1865, the date of General Lee's surrender, the last 2 remaining Confederate Armies were the "Army of Northern Virginia" and General Johnston's "Army of the South". The "Army of the West" ceased to exist by February 1863. I suggest "Army of the South" to be a more appropriate name for the other of the last 2 surviving Armies in the ACWGC. It is historically accurate, and removes any individual bias toward or against any one of the previous organizations of club's CSA.

Some of us may prefer not to wear orange or sing "rockytop"!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:15 pm 

Colonel Haines has made a suggestion of some import. It should be given due consideration.

Commanding

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:23 pm 

Gents, once I have concensus on the way forward, I will be putting up a poll to vote on the name of the new Army :mrgreen:

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:25 pm 

Doesn't matter much to me. Army of the West makes some sense since it will be serving as the only army in the Western Theater. To be rightfully honest, I fully expect that we will be at 2 armies for the remainder of the Club's existence, if not for a very long time to come.

If we want to get real technical and maybe consider this but, the official last full army to surrender was Edmund Kirby Smith's Army of the Trans-Mississippi, a Western Theater army.

Oddly enough, who knew that Stand Waite's 1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles was the last land-combat force to surrender?? :P

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next