American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:15 am 

Officers and Gentlemen of the Armies of the Confederacy <salute>

You may or may not have noticed that the CSA side of the club has been in somewhat of a decline over the past six months. This has come about due to key members either resigning or being impacted by real life situations, this in turn has allowed our side of the club to sort of drift aimlessly. You will have noticed that in many cases General Rank’s promotions have not been made, admin and conduct points have not been given, medals (both army and CSA) have not been awarded and a number of our Web sites are well out of date.
Now for some members of the CSA this situation may be ok, because they are primarily interested in playing games and all of the above is of no real consequence. However we are a club and as such we do require some form of structure and the one we have is that set up as the ACWGC. The options are to leave things as is, to drift on and let the place go to hell in a hand basket – not that attractive for new/potential members or even the current ones; or we do something about it and get things back on track. So I have been working with a number of CSA officers and the ACWGC cabinet looking at the reasons for the decline and the options we have to get us back on track, so please read below my thoughts on the subject.

The Problem (Cams View)

Over the past five years of so there has been a steady decline in the number of officers willing to take on administrative (command/web engineering) roles within the CSA side of the club. I have no real understanding why, other than some assumptions;

• People want to spend their free time playing rather than working on spread sheets
• Administrative work is not seen as rewarding
• It is not seen as adding any value
• It does take a certain type of person who has an interest in the administrative aspects and maybe we just don’t have many of this type joining

So we have a club to run and not that many people keen to participate in its running.

Why Have an Administration?

Just because we exist in a virtual world it does not make us any different than any other club – we still need rules and a structure to provide something that people want to belong to, otherwise we are just a bunch of transient blokes who do not even have a real pub to meet at.

The Function of Administration (Cams View)

The function of the CSA administrative/command is to provide something that club members want to belong to. We cater for those members who just want to play games (50%) and those who also want some historical flavour (the other 50%?). The club has always had a point of difference over other internet clubs in that we are not a Ladder Club; this is I think why we have a higher membership than the others. We are, I think, more welcoming - it makes no great difference how good you are at the game; your club standing is not based on where you are on a ladder.
So what does the current CSA administrative/command do or is meant to be doing;

• It looks after the club and Army awards systems
• It ensures officers get promoted in the general ranks
• It maintains club/Army websites and officer web dossiers
• It trains new club members
• It maintains communications with club members
• It submits various reports on club activities
• Awards conduct and administration points
• It updates the DoR

Now all the activities listed above are vital for giving the club that point of difference. But I think we could reduce the amount of work required for most of these activities and still keep that point of difference. This can be done by trimming our structure and only undertaking those activities which add value.

Getting More Command Staff

Although we act like the CSA is a military organisation any attempt at trying to make it like a real one is doomed to failure, because we can only ask someone to do something, we can’t tell them. This has been attempted in the past and it has always ended in unwanted drama. In my experience members of the CSA are a bunch of strong willed individuals (as were most real CSA officers – funny that) who do not like being told what to do. If you appeal for their help and good will then they usually come though. However I have found that it is better, in the longer term, to get officers who have an inclination towards administrative work as they will be more consistent. This type of officer is becoming less common, so let’s just deal with this fact and change our structure to cope. Please note that the CSA can make changes to its structure as long as it stays within the rules of the ACWGC, so what we can do is limited and radical change will require full club approval which would take some time

OPTION A

Do sod all – not all the viable

OPTION B

Leave the current four army structure as but change it as follows;
• ANV – leave as is it appears to be sound
• AoA, AotM and AoG, change to a 2 Corps, 2 Division per Corps structure
• Only have Army awards if the AC’s wish to keep them
• Army websites to be simplified (similar to the ANV), with no officer dossiers
• Minimal upwards reporting requirements
• CSA Awards system remains as is

This would reduce the number of command (admin) positions by about 10% and also the administrative work load

OPTION C

Fold the existing four army structure into a two army structure as follows:

• The Army of Georgia folds into the Army of Northern Virginia
• The Army of Alabama and the Army of the Mississippi fold into the Army of the West (this is a historical name)
• Each Army only has three Corps and three Divisions
• Still have two Theatre Commanders – club requirement and a good back up for the CoA and AC’s

This would reduce the number of command (admin) positions by about 35% and also the administrative work load.

Please note that this is not an appeal for volunteers to fill command roles that will come after we have reached some form of consensus as to the way forward

So Gentlemen it is your club and the future of your army so please let the debate and discussion begin. If it needs to be robust debate then so be it.

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:27 am 

<SALUTE>
My Fellow Southern Brethren
Salutations

My 2 cents....

I concur with OPTION C

Fold the existing four army structure into a two army structure as follows:

• The Army of Georgia folds into the Army of Northern Virginia
• The Army of Alabama and the Army of the Mississippi fold into the Army of the West (this is a historical name)
• Each Army only has three Corps and three Divisions
[POINT....OUR NUMBERS HAVE DROPPED AND WITH 2 ARMIES ... IT MIGHT JUST ENCOURAGE MORE BANTERING IN THE CLUBS AND PARTICIPATION...WE BECOME A CLOSER GROUP ... EASIER LINES OF COMMUNICATION....]

• Still have two Theatre Commanders – club requirement and a good back up for the CoA and AC’s
[CONCUR]

[CONCUR]

[RELUCTANTLY CONCUR....WISH I WAS MORE COMPUTER SAVVY]

[STILL THINK MONTHLY IS NOT THAT BAD ESPECIALLY WITH THE AUTOMATED SYSTEM...]

[CONCUR]

The Good General has put a lot of thought into this recommendation and I know we all thank him..he is trying hard to keep the CSA afloat.

I Corp
Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:16 am 

I support Option C due to the admin leadership numbers available. If there were more admin leaders my preference would be B (retaining 4 armies), but, I don't think we have those numbers. So in order to reduce leadership admin positions by approx 35% I go with Option C. The other points raised/suggested make sense to me and have my support.

Thanks for initiating the discussion Gen McOmish.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:52 am 

<SALUTE>
I am in favor of option "C" also.
A tighter organisation will benefit us all on this side.
I look forward to working with the guys in the Army of Northern Virginia.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:29 am 

I also support the option C.
It is easier to manage and not require more administrative works.
These works are important but I think it's better to recover time to play a game or to increase the topics in our site.
We can keeping the name of the old Army in the new corps and organize some CSA maneuver between the army merged.

Thanks Gen. McOmish for his work.

P.S. Finally with the union of the two armies of the west, this time maybe we can win :wink: :D

III Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:32 am 

Gentlemen,

I have had the honor to work with many of you this summer in conducting a very thoughtful review of CSA structures and practices. Commanding officers and Staff from each of the CSA Armies have put forward well considered observations. Everyone has been quite candid in sharing views and perspectives on Club history. I too have come to see Option C as our best course of action within the rules of the ACWGC.

As the long serving Commander of the Army of Georgia, let me say that I am looking forward to joining the Army of Northern Virginia. I endorse this reorganization enthusiastically without reservation.

There were some more radical suggestions made during the course of our deliberations that were beyond the authority of the Chief of Armies or the Army Commanders to implement. I join others of the CSA Staff in encouraging our Cabinet Members to continue thinking about positive steps for future developments that will further simplify administration and focus on the core mission of providing quality PBEM contacts for this very special international gaming community.

Respectfully,

1/3/III ANV

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:39 am 

Salute

I support option C and agreed with Gen. Miller notes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:45 am 

Option C makes the most sense...reduce the administrative overhead...don't split again until the two armies are bursting at the seams.

<salute>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:54 am 

Hail Comrades! <salute>

I support Option 'C' as well. Painful choices, to be sure but reality must be faced. The Club is a very special place & deserves to be maintained to the highest degree of which we are able. General McOmish's analysis seems spot on &, as is clearly apparent, he has given much thought & time to our current situation. I myself am one of those command officers that has proven somewhat lax in the discharge of my duties, particularly since rising to Corps command but I am more than willing to try to find more time & effort to give back to that which has given me so much.

Lieutenant General Tom Phillips
7th Cavalry Brigade/The Brus
Armstrong's Cavalry Division
Hardee's Corps (1st Corps)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:00 am 

I think Option C is definitely the best choice for a healthy CSA. The flexibility to know when it's time to consolidate bodes well.

Den

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:47 pm 

I concur with the majority view thus far. Option C seems the best way forward.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:51 pm 

i think the posts above make good sense..im therefore with option c

thks

keep up the fine work

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:00 pm 

Gentlemen,

I support option C. The best option to reduce adminstrative work. I agree that most members just want to play and don't like to be bothered
with administrative work.

Hardee's Corps (1st Corps)
Army of the West/CSA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:30 pm 

Brother Officers,
I fully support option C at this time. I would also volunteer for any duties to assist current admin.
Many thanks and kind regards

II Corps
Army Of The West

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

Gentlemen,

I agree with Option C. The reasons as outlined are very valid and I offer my support.

I know that the Army of Georgia command is still sending out notices for muster. It has always been well run administratively in my opinion. It will only enhance the ANV with quality people.

General Pierre D.

5th Bde, IV Cavalry Corps
Army of Northern Virginia
ACWGC President 1997 - 2006, 2012
ACWGC Forum Administrator

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next