American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:12 pm 

Lt Col Garret FitzGerald and I had just finished Brawner's Farm, and decided to do a short Antietam campaign starting at 2nd Bull Run, then Chantilly and on to Sharpsburg.

We each had one campaign choice to choose before the first battle, I, as the Confederates, chose 'Hood arrives from the north'. The other option is 'Archer and Pender start on the other side of Sudley Springs', which is supposed to surprise the Yanks but I think against any halfway competent player will just kill Archer and Pender. Hood arrives from the north brings Hood down towards the right rear of Jackson which seems useful. I would have liked a 4th option where I get D.H. Hill and 20,000 men but the scenario designer chose to spite me.

I launched a counterattack with Gregg vs Schimmelfennig(?) and my melee failed horribly despite him being disrupted, me having a leader, and me attacking from behind. Sigh.
So, for those of you that know the battle, is it historical that Jackson auto loses 4 guns on the first turn as they are in front of his army and the Union goes first?

I am unsure what else you can do as the Confederates, but I will probably do as historical as Garret allows. If I had to take a guess as to his playstyle (from playing 1 scenario against him!) I think he will attempt to disrupt Longsteets line as it arrives.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:53 pm 

We are on turn 4 now. I routed a couple of his 1st corps, AoV troops after they took my guns on turn 1. After that he faded back into the woods. I am not sure what his arrival/release schedule is, so maybe he does not have much to work with yet. Lee and Longstreet showed up with 1.5 brigades of cavalry and next turn Evan's brigade with 2 batteries shows up. Hood is moving just behind my line trying to stay out of sight.
Garret seems to be quite good at staying out of sight, so not much to report.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:11 pm 

Turn 12. At first I felt Garret was being cautious, but now he is pushing hard at Longstreet NOT Jackson. Unexpected. So, general battle all around. Hood launched his first charge this turn. I am falling behind in points cause I keep screwing up. If you play against Garret he is an expert in artillery placement. I have forgotten so much of these games! Oh, well, I am slowly remembering.
1400 Union losses/1250 Confed losses, but I have lost 6 or 7 guns. 4 were a freebee the Union gets in this scenario.

I would show you pictures but your website was built in 1986, not judging...