American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Scenario Design Novice
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:46 pm 

Gentlemen.

A cuppla questions if I may?

1. . . . . In the TS/Battleground Series, what Tool do I use to construct a Scenario? The cwedit file - transferring to the Main Folder of whichever Game I wish to alter?

2. . . . . I have a copy of the cwedit file - where I got it, I can't remember. Where would I find a copy to download pr is it on one of the Game disks?

3. . . . . I read from time to time of the "ACWGCO Launcher". Is this the cwedit file? OR a diff'rent .exe. file? If it's a scenario editor - which is the better/easier file to use for a Novice Scenario Tinkerer?

4 . . . . . I have an idea for amending an existing scenario, which would only require alterations to Objective Hexes . . . do I need to "re-build" the whole Scenario from scratch? Or can I take an existing scenario and leave it "as is" with only the alterations I wish to make - saving itunder a New .scn name?

Apologies if my questions appear Dumb to those of Ye that know these things . . . . I've never payed much attention to this area of Club Activities before . . . [8)]

But I'm now burning up to learn.

Many Thanks for all/any assistance.

Pat. [:D]

Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Major General.
Carroll's Corps,(II)
"Spartan Southrons"
Army of Georgia.
C.S.A.Cabinet Secretary

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:09 pm 

Gen Carroll,

1-2.The cwedit.exe is available at the 32 bit download site and is the scenario editor for all the Battleground games. You can still find it at http://fly.hiwaay.net/~tiller/html/program.html.

3. The ACWCO Launcher is a Visual Basic program written by Paul Wakeman that allows you to load any of the Battleground games from the same shortcut. It requires you to replace the original BG.exe file with the one that comes with the download for it to work properly. I've used it for some time and find it works well and saves me from having shortcuts for all the BG games on my desktop.

4. If you do not wish to change the OOB you can take an existing scenario and modify it however you wish. You can change units strength, class, weapons within an OOB file without causing problems but if you alter the position or number of any lines in the OOB you have to start from scratch as the scenario saves the units by their position in the OOB file then loads their values from the OOB when you start the game. The strengths are then saved in the bte or btl file when you save the game.

A suggestion, I normally load the scenario I'm using as a base and save it under another name right away thereby making sure I don't overwrite the original one. You'll want to use the folder name in the file name so players know where it goes. I would suggest just modifying the original name by adding a letter or numbers afterwards. Also in the header you'll want to id it with a name similar to the one it is based on. As an example you'll find several 06 scenarios for BGG. All are based on the historical Wheatfield to Roundtop scenario with minor changes and each has its own letter and name so there is 06a, 06b, 06h and I'm not sure how many variants. Good Luck and if you need any hlp feel free to drop me a line. I'm not an expert but I've done some work in this area.

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah

Profile Send private message