American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:02 am 
I would like to clarify further the point I made earlier....

I do see the point in a novice vs a veteran looking at the initial setup, and also to check numbers on either side. I do think that there is a limit to how much information that should be looked at.

Noting down all the times of arrivals and checking every single unit of the oppositions weapons etc is beyond the scope that I intended.

The intension is to give the novice an idea of what to expect, not to give as complete a picture as could be gained from checking everything in detail.

I will again stress also that the most fun is to be had when both players are playing blind...I activly seek opponents who have not played scenarios before so that we may both enjoy the "hide and seek" of maneuver and scouting.

<center>Brigadier General Edward Stewart
[url="http://bonemash.webng.com/EdStewart.html"]Image[/url]

2nd Brig, 3rd Div,
III Corps, ANV
III Corps Adjutant
ANV Chief of Staff
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:14 pm 

Personnally I think it is okay to look at a scenario, before you play. The point has been made a number of times that if either opponent has previously played the scenario, they already have a lot of intelligence. Playing against someone who has previously played a scenario and not looking, may be noble, but is more likely to result in you being a less competent opponent. We do agree that the journey, rather then the result is more important?

Scenario designers ought to also pay atention to the comments about designs that allow leaders such as Wellington (and I think there is a similar problem with a rebel leader in one of the Gettysburg scenarios) to be pounced on by an informed opponent. There are also some issues with fixed units being able to be zoc killed by an informed opponent.

For those that think such activity is "gamey", I disagree. Looking at the scenario is the equivalent of reading about the actual battle, which I assume is something we would encourage! I also don't think the results of one game tell you very much about the skill of either opponent. In fact for those having difficulty with the system, I have often suggested they play the same scenario a couple of times so that the nuances of the scenario become less an issue in learning how to play.

Blind scenarios generally get a lot of compliments, and I think HPS would be wise to look at some system such as what some of the WWII games had that allowed you to configure points based armies and place their initial deployments on opposite sides of the map. That would enable opponents to essentially create their own blind scenarios.

Lt Gen Bob Breen
Commanding 5th Bde, 1st Div, XIX Corps, AoS
"Defenders of the Right"

Profile Send private message