American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:08 pm 

Do you know of any way in the HPS system to slow the replay or to view it on a step-by-step basis, so that one can more easily observe and comprehend the actions that transpired in your opponent's turn? I find the replay engine moves much too quickly! Anyone else out there with the same problem?

Lt.-Col. Jos. C. Meyer,
4th Brg'd, Cav. Div., 14th Corps, Army of the Cumberland

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:03 pm 
Set it for off map results....then go a step at a time.....then you get to watch every shot occur....Regards, Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:05 pm 

If your opponent has his system set up so he doesn't have ON MAP RESULTS, but gets little info boxes with each combat situation, then the replay will go slower as you have to advance past each box. Other than that I don't know of a way to slow it down.

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:17 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Al Amos</i>
<br />If your opponent has his system set up so he doesn't have ON MAP RESULTS, but gets little info boxes with each combat situation, then the replay will go slower as you have to advance past each box. Other than that I don't know of a way to slow it down.

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hey Al,

Is that the case? That may explain why in a few games, in which I've elected to have results shown "on map", I'm still having to close dialogue boxes as casualties are incurred. As is usually the case, I've been spending my time trying to figure out what I did wrong. Hmmm...

Not at all wanting to shanghai the thread in a different direction however... yes, there are times I too wish I could slow things down a bit. Still, we get more intel than any real field general would have.

Gen. Den McBride
ANV
swampfox_csa(at)yahoo.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:46 pm 

The "On Map Results" feature impacts both players:

The player with it ON should only see the results on the map itself, not having any pop up boxes.

The playing watching the replay will also see the results on the map.

The inverse is also true - so Joe - if you can convince your opponent to turn that feature off, then you will get your dialog boxes and be able to step through the replay.

Personally I love ON MAP RESULTS and couldn't imagine playing without it...saves a ton of mouse clicks!

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:38 pm 
I like them mouse clicks.....Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:49 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Hamilton</i>
<br />The "On Map Results" feature impacts both players:

The player with it ON should only see the results on the map itself, not having any pop up boxes.

The playing watching the replay will also see the results on the map.

The inverse is also true - so Joe - if you can convince your opponent to turn that feature off, then you will get your dialog boxes and be able to step through the replay.

Personally I love ON MAP RESULTS and couldn't imagine playing without it...saves a ton of mouse clicks!

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I love the on screen results as well, but I do think they move too fast in most cases. If it would at least give us 1 or 2 seconds per result - no matter which view (2D, zoom, 3D, etc) - it would be much better. Most of the time 3D is too slow but 2D just zips by with each result one after another with hardly a millisecond between - hardly time to find the current result before it goes away and bounces to a new one, which I then must try to quickly locate before it too dissappears. [:(] I could really use a second to find things - and I'm one of the young bucks around here. I loathe getting older - I'll have to play in 3D Zoom, haha.

Regards,

Major Gen. Alan Lynn
CSA Chief of Staff
3rd Bgde, 3rd Cav Div, II Corps, AoA

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:54 pm 

Dang...

Sometimes I wish there was an easy way to replay the replay.
Just when I start a long one, the wife wants me for something.
"Just a minute honey, I have to watch this"...

"We won the Civil War dear, come on NOW!!"...

Ok, I exaggerate...

but still... she has to wait...

Col Thompson
1/3/VI
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:36 am 
General Lynn,
And what Suh, is wrong with having to play in 3D zoom? [:0]
Hank Smith

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:38 pm 

So, OK! It looks like we've got only two choices here for the moment. Either we play with the ON MAP RESULTS option "ON," and put up with those battle replays being too fast, or we play with the ON MAP RESULTS option "OFF," and deal with all the tedious clicking of pop-up windows! Let's consider this thing a little more closely.

First, all that clicking of the pop-up windows... If you're watching the normal replay from an opponent in a major battle turn wherein he's commanding soemthing like five to eight divisions, all on the move, and battling like crazy, you're going to be clicking for a long, long time!<b> <font color="yellow">("General, there's an enemy cavalry brigade coming up on our right, rear flank!" "Don't bother me now, son, I'm clicking!")</font id="yellow"></b> Its a long, aching road to carpal tunnel syndrome!

Thus, the ON MAPS RESULTS option...!

I agree, here, that the on-board replays give us a heck of a lot <i>more</i> battlefield information in a more <i>timely</i> manner than most real Civil War commanders received! For instance, you receive intelligence from the "God Perspective:" that is, you can see the entire map, no matter its size, and simultaneously receive intel from areas more than 6 or 7 miles apart, all in 20 minutes of game time, no matter where you, the commander, happen to actually be on that battlefield! Even under the best of field conditions, it is hard to imagine a dispatch rider zooming from the far end of the field in that length of time to bring the intel that you could not in actuality see by virtue of the <i>commander's</i> line of sight! So putting aside arguments concerning field telegraphs, flag systems and mirror signals, it seems true that we receive much more information much more consistently than an actual Civil War commander. <b> <font color="yellow">("Captain, have all of these notes and dispatches shown to my staff, and then have them correlate everything perfectly for my benefit in the next 15 seconds!")</font id="yellow"></b>

But on the other hand there are also situations with this system that do not nearly parallel the real world battlefield conditions, simply because the intel comes way too fast! For instance, a multiple melee assault delivered against a portion of your main defensive line sustained within a 20 minute time period would of necessity be an event that, you would think, would give the commander, especially if he were within line of sight of the action, plenty of opportunity to observe! But the game zips this info by so fast that you (me, at least!) can only form some vague imprint of what actually occurred.<b> <font color="yellow">("What's that you say, Lieutenant? Did someone just kill me?)</font id="yellow"></b>

Do I sound like a complainer here? Probably yes and no at the same time! And in just a few seconds I'm going to be sounding like a blasphemer! I couldn't be using this forum for discussion if the games were inadequate or unenjoyable, because if that were the case, the forum simply wouldn't exist! But what I am doing is exploring the possibility of incorporating some kind of option or control which would at least allow an additional repeat of the replay if desired. If you accept the premise of the "God Perspective," then there should be no problem with having God running back the replay as many times as he would wish, or slowing it down to his satisfaction! If you're against the "God Perspective," then you should have no problem in supporting some attempt at limiting all battlefield intel to that which only lies within your (the commander's) actual line of sight.

Leaving everything just as it is has some merit for consideration too! I suppose one could make an argument for the one-time, speedo replay as an intentional fuzzy re-inforcement of the Fog-of-War option. Since things happen so fast that you can't really get a good solid count on the actual number of enemy units passing over the top of that hill or that you really can't understand how that lightning assault busted through your carefully crafted defenses, you will be justly exposed to the uncertainty and confusions of a Civil War battlefield! <i><font color="yellow">("MAMA!")</font id="yellow"></i>

So all in all, which would be the easiest, most equitable fix. Leave it all just as it is, provide a repeat option or speed control for the replay, or install limiters for the actual intel available? Or am I just a clutz for bringing all of this up?

Lt.-Col. Jos. C. Meyer,
4th Brg'd, Cav. Div., 14th Corps, Army of the Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:45 am 

Time for my two cents worth[:D]

Unfortunately in these games we, the player, are wearing multiple hats. On one hand we need to see battle details at the regimental levels because we act as Colonels setting the facing and formation of individual regiments. We should be able to see who is shooting at them and how much damage they are doing so we can react to it. But we are also wearing the General's hat, which means we know entirely to much about what is happening to our army than a real CW General would have known. It is hard to recancel these two since the only other solution is to have the AI act for some of these levels.

I do wish HPS would make some changes to at least make it a little better. One is we should only see the "On Map" result. The dialog one give entirely to much information since you can use it to determine the morale level of the firing units as well as their exact size. It would be nice if HPS moved this to the Game Option so it could be turned off for entire scenario.

The other problem with speed could easily be addressed with a selectible replay speed like most games have.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:29 pm 

I wish there were a "pause" button. Ya know...for when you have to go really bad. [:)]

Maj Gen Boyd Denner,
2nd Division Commanding
II Corps
ANV
"God Bless the Alabamians" Gen. Robert E. Lee - The Wilderness 1864