American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:40 pm 

The paper is he Franklin Repository and Transcript (Pennsylvania, Republican

Source: http://valley.lib.virginia.edu/VoS/news ... ening.html

Pennsylvanians at Pittsburg Landing
(Column 2)

Summary: Publishes the official report to Governor Curtin of the actions of Pennsylvania troops in the battle at Pittsburg landing (aka Shiloh).

Official Report.

Head-Quarters Fifth Brigade,
Battle-field near Pittsburg Landing, Tenn.
April 12th, 1862.

Honored Sir:--I embrace the first moment of time allotted me since the terrific battle of the 6th and 7th inst., to inform you that the old Keystone was represented in the battle of the 7th inst., by the 77th regiment.

We were 28 or 30 miles from the scene of action from the scene of action on Sabbath morning the 6th inst., when we distinctly heard the cannonading, and, of course, made all possible haste to reach the battle field. Leaving our transportation we marched forward 22 or 23 miles, over roads almost impassable, to Savannah on the Tennessee river, where we arrived at 7 o'clock P.M., and after standing in the street under a most drenching rain for eight hours, we embarked on board a boat at 3 o'clock A. M., on the morning of the 7th, and landed at Pittsburg Landing at 6 o'clock the same day, when, after a hasty cup of coffee and a cracker had been disposed of, we were ordered forward into battle. The 77th was held in reserve for the 5th Brigade from 6 o'clock to 11 o'clock A. M., under a galling fire, without being allowed to fire a gun, when we were ordered to support the 4th Brigade, commanded by Gen. Rosseau, which they did till about 12 o'clock, when the Regiment was detached by order of Gen. M'Cook, for the purpose of flanking three regiments of the enemy, which the 77th nobly did, and also in the meantime fired upon and silenced one of the enemy's batteries by killing all their horses and many of their men. Just here a considerable body of rebel cavalry charged down upon us, but were repulsed with severe loss. Again they came and again the 77th repulsed them, when they retreated in confusion. Our Regiment took many prisoners that day, among whom was Colonel Battles, of the 2d Tennessee infantry.

Suffice it to say that all the officers and men of the 77th fought cooly and bravely that entire day. I am especially indebted to Lieut. Col. Housum and Maj. Bradford for distinguished services during the battle.

Our loss is quite meagre--only two or three mortally wounded, and some five or six seriously and slightly. This, I apprehend, is on account of our loading and firing lying on the ground.

The loss on the Federal side is very heavy, but nothing to compare with the loss of the Rebels.

The ranking officers of our brigade all being wounded, I find myself in command of the Brigade, and I may add it was the Brigade on Monday.

Trusting that you will pardon this incomplete and badly written epistle, written on a drum head,

I am, dear sir,
Your obedient servant,
F. S. Stumbaugh.

To his Excellency, A. G. Curtin, Governor of Pennsylvania.

supplied by Colonel Elkin
Chief Engineer AoT

“I have come to you from the West, where we have always seen the backs of our enemies. . . . Let us study the probable lines of retreat of our opponents, and leave our own to take care of themselves. Let us look before us, and not behindâ€

Profile Send private message