American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:01 pm 

Hi All:

I hope someone can help my opponent General Andy Taylor and myself get our Gettysburg Campaign game going again. I have a new computer and my other HPS games all single battles have transferred to my new computer without any problems but my v1.05 Gettysburg campaign game will not recognize the games cpf file. Both sides have v1.05 installed and Andy sent me his bto and btc files. Still no go. Any help on how to resolve this issue is much appreciated. I am running under Windows 7.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:06 pm 

I'm also playing the Getty Campaign with Gen Taylor and had to update. I had no problem.
I went from 1.04 to 1.05... was that the same update?

Perhaps you can send me the file (with Gen Taylor's permission) and I'll see if my software will recognize it, I'm also on Win7.

E-mail is patoooo (at) aol (dot) com.

"That's damn ungenerous! I shall take those guns for that!"

-General Phil Sheridan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:05 pm 

Hi,

I suggest you both load any scenario from the main menu, go to "help" at the top right, and access "'about". That will tell you if your version is 1.05.
I have had a problem before thinking I upgraded and finding out I opened in the wrong folder.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:30 am 

Probably need a lot more detail on where you are in the game sequence. That is, you can't even start your own campaign or just can't open the cpf file sent by your opponent. Did your opponent start the campaign or did you. Was he able to open your file. Etc.

Be sure to verify what version of the game you are playing using the method posted earlier. There isn't any problem between version 1.04 and 1.05 since all 1.05 introduced was an interface change but its best to bring your game up to date and on the same version.

Sometimes its a good idea to make a clean install of the game. Games sometime accumulate files they aren't suppose to have when updates are made to updates. With HPS you only need to install that last update so its best to install the original HPS game from CD then update it once to 1.05.

Next is to clean up all those extraineous campaign files. They are all in the form of "campaign.???" so delete them all then copy in the *.cpf file your opponent sent you. Only the "cpf" file. Delete the others they will be recreated. Now try running the campaign game against it. If it fails, ask your opponent to open his copy and see if it fails. Campaign games aren't protected so you can start your opponents turn. They should be careful to make a copy since once openned the game will be advanced to the next turn. If it fails for him this will tell us something, if it doesn't then there some more diagnostic steps you will need to take. But first will be to answer the question did the cpf file sent you come zipped?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:04 am 

Quote:
Both sides have v1.05 installed and Andy sent me his bto and btc files.

I have a feeling that you each need your own unique bto and btc files created from the start. You cant use his and vice versa.