American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:00 pm 

I think you have to realize the mind-set of the 1700's and 1800's. The reality of it all is there was animosity on BOTH sides since before 1620. The culture and geographic closeness of the Colonials, and then the Americans led to deep-seated feelings against the Native Americans. This persisted throughout the Colonial period and into the expansionism period, until the overwhelming strength of the US Army vs the Indians and the vast numerical superiority of the western settlers prevailed.

It was not the moral thing to do, in any context, except the context of the times. Generations of people were told of the depredations of the Indians and that persisted for 200+ years.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:42 pm 
Blake,

I have to absolutely argue with you on this one.....Custer was a Yankee.....Since the atrocity was committed by a Yankee, it is therefore completely unjustified, evil and offensive.....He is completely to blame and 100% culpable!!!! There can be no forgiving of the man.......Now had this act been committed by say Joseph Wheeler, why then it would have been completely justifiable!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:14 pm 
I'm not sure what your referring to exactly but I love it when people agree with me! So I will just nod my head :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:38 pm 

General Blake <salute>

There's a thought! A little "General Blake bobblehead" for people to place on their dashboard :mrgreen:

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:04 pm 
Eeeerr, I was disagreeing with you.....I was being arguementative.....Likely you knowed that though.....Youins wuz probly funnin me........

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:06 pm 
I like that idea!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:59 pm 
Jefferson H. Davis wrote:
had this act been committed by say Joseph Wheeler, why then it would have been completely justifiable!!!!

I think Nathan Bedford Forrest would be more likely to commit such a deed. Now there is an interesting idea: Nathan Bedford Forrest as Indian fighter! I do believe he would have been more successful than some of the ex-Union officers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:16 pm 
Had nathan bedford Forest comitted such an act, it would have been totally justified.....After all, he was a good Southern man......lol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:46 pm 

It's a simple system. If Indians win its a massacre, if the White man wins its a great victory. :D
Justification is simple too. The Indians occupied land the Whites wanted so they had to die.

But seriously, it was a cultural clash that could only end badly for the Indian. The White man had no concept of Indian tribes and how they viewed war. The Indian had no concept of nations or ideas of land ownership.