American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Recon before a Battle?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:32 pm 
Gentlemen,

What is the kind of information that you feel you want to know before you begin a battle? Do you look at the terrain first? Or maybe the numbers and/or disposition of troops?

Just curious.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:18 pm 

Never, NEVER!

Chances are if I've played a scenario before then the benefit of familiarity is unavoidable. But I never bother to scout a new situation beforehand so as to maximise the fog-of-war. Most scenarios are designed as balanced so I don't see the point of figuring out where and when exactly my enemy has his reserves turning up or where exactly their start positions are.

I've suffered the unpleasant fact of opposite numbers taking a rather unhealthy interest in my dispositions in the past so I feel I always owe it to an opponent to fight the "fairest" game possible.

There are very few genuine surprises to be had in these games so I enjoy it when something truly unexpected happens ...just recently hidden movements and ambushes. The real test of Generalship is dealing with the unforseen ...not managing the mundane.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:21 pm 

My approach is definately different.

I only assume that my opponents will do all that is within their power to gain any kind of edge in a game against me, whithout, of course, actually cheating. ie. replaying turns for best results, changing game files, etc...

Under this assumption I do everything possible that I can to better prepare myself for the battle, or should I say game. And it is under these circumstances that I will review a scenario, read up on the actual historical accounts, you name it, I will prepare my self the best way possible for a new game. My goal is to win the game. I get enjoyment out of winning! I am often surprised how battles actually do unfold with the all hindsight we have of these battles.

I have thought the way General Wilkes has, and I have even tried not reviewing replays at one point to enhance FoW, but the game was less fun, for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:47 am 

I prefer the FOG of War. Fighting a battle before hand was not an option for the real soldiers, nor should it be for us. Studying Maps is ok, but not refighting the battle. Historical accounts are ok, but not refighting the battle. Did I just say that?

MG Elkin
3rd Div/(2nd Cav)/XVIth Corps AotT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:22 pm 

Curiously, What do you mean by "do not refight the battle" Are you talking about not using the same strategy as was done in real life? Or, do you not play the same scenario twice?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:37 pm 

I will replay certain scenarios that I like and the opponent wants to play. What I mean is that I don't first fight the AI to get a feel for the battle before the contest starts.

MG Elkin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:01 pm 

i dont recon any field,,if i have been there before then i have some idea,,if not then i can only go with my gut,,of course iam wrong alot. it makes it more interesting that way i think.

Nathan Bedford Forest Cavalry Corp (3rd)
Army of The West

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:27 pm 

Koch46 wrote:
My approach is definately different.

I only assume that my opponents will do all that is within their power to gain any kind of edge in a game against me, whithout, of course, actually cheating. ie. replaying turns for best results, changing game files, etc...

Under this assumption I do everything possible that I can to better prepare myself for the battle, or should I say game. And it is under these circumstances that I will review a scenario, read up on the actual historical accounts, you name it, I will prepare my self the best way possible for a new game. My goal is to win the game. I get enjoyment out of winning! I am often surprised how battles actually do unfold with the all hindsight we have of these battles.

I have thought the way General Wilkes has, and I have even tried not reviewing replays at one point to enhance FoW, but the game was less fun, for me.

+1

So I check out the startup and reinforcement schedules first and then let the mop flop. I used to play with total ignorance of the opposing side until I found out my opponents were not so humble. Replays are a must unless fighting in the woods.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:30 am 

You shouldn't assume the other side doesn't know the general situation and when troops are available. Few of us who have been in the club a long time and/or are history buffs on the subject don't know the overal situation by heart. Especially in games like Gettysburg that I have played I think hundreds of time. Unless you are playing a true double blind scenario it just ain't going to happen. Some of the random arrival scenarios do throw a bit of fog of war into the mix.

It is up to the player to undo this by looking for ways to do the unexpected.

Which isn't that hard since I have always been amazed at the lack of good recon by my opposition. I have marched entire Corps along roads that should have been in plain sight but no one was looking. Many an opponent has found my entire army on their flank without knowing it until the bullets started flying.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:07 am 
To echo what Ken said I have experienced the same thing. Poor recon by an opponent has led to some amazingly easy victories. I have had guys enter the board and rout entire enemy brigades because they were within the Safety Zone of the entry hex. Fine with me! Other times I have moved men straight down a road and found the enemy facing the completely wrong direction. If I had only had blue uniforms my leading regiment we could have approached and bagged the whole lot of them.