American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:36 pm 

Fellow Countrymen

I am Cadet R.T Coyne C.S.A .
My home is but a short 15 minute ride to the
bridge over the Neuse River that is so Vital to the Army of Virgina

Goldsboro Bridge. Averasboro, Bentonville, Kinston ,and Wise Fork are all within 1 hr from me
Ft Fisher is 2 hr

what are some local battles where you live or the closest ones.

Respectfully
Cadet R.T Coyne
C.S.A

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:56 pm 

Greetings sir,

I am in North Carolina at the moment as well. About as close to those places as you are (Chapel Hill). I consider myself a Tennessean though and am returning to the Volunteer State this year.

Welcome to the Club!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:48 am 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
Cadet Coyne, <salute>

Rick, welcome to the ACWGC and thanks for dragging General Doug Burke back to active duty with the Yanks!

What a wonderful place to live as the ACW history is all around you!

Growing up and living in the Pacific NW we really aren't touched by the ACW but there are some connections!

The Treaty of Point Elloitt in 1855 was lead by the Washington Territorial Governor Isaac Stevens, later a Union General who was killed at the Battle of Chantilly on 1 September, 1862.

In 1859 the boundary dispute over the San Juan Islands with Great Britian broke out! Called the Pig War because it was triggered by the shooting of a pig.

There were no human casualties on either side but Captain George Pickett was dispatched with members of the 9th Infantry Regiment with orders to prevent the British from landing!

Here in the ACWGC we all can share in the history of the ACW on the battlefields of the WDS ACW Campaign games!

Lots of good and friendly gamers here to get to know and game against that will last a lifetime!

Again, welcome to the ACWGC!

Respectfully,

Your Obedient Servant,

General Nick Kunz
Commanding,
2nd Corps, AoT

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:23 am 

Rick and I have been playing VG's "Civil War" for years. We talk on the phone all the time (almost daily when we're playing something) but we've never met.

I convinced him to go a little more tactical since he likes the GBACW system so here we are. We warmed up with a demo game, he bought GB and FC and now we're in the middle of the full Gettysburg....my cav is getting butchered.....lol...... When he gets his training game done we'll register our GB game and maybe start up an MP game with other club members.

Regarding nearby battles, not much here in Delaware where I live now but when I lived in Virginia I was in the middle of Mosby's Confederacy and during the Battle of Aldie (June 17, '63) the monument to the 1st Mass. cav was a quarter mile up our road (apparently I can't upload a photo of it) and Breathed's horse artillery set up on our property.

Gen. Doug Burke

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:23 am 

Great to have you here Rick! Very cool your long friendship with Doug! Some cool sites you live by....never spent much time in the coastal Carolinas, but hope to one day.

Closest major battlefield is Gettysburg. Though I drive a lot of the roads both armies took to Gettysburg and Antietam very routinely. Part of my commute is along Stuart's path to Gettysburg. Pass a couple markers and roadside stops each day.

Doug, if you want me to post the picture from Aldie, let me know. Very cool you were in the heart of it in VA!