American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:45 pm 

Good day gentlemen,
as I currently have some problems getting a game going with the weather scenario pack of Old Banshee, and that not for the first time, I though I do some clarification on its installation as I think the explanation on the Old Banshee webpage is misleading.

In this example I will show the installation of the Ozark weather scenarios, but the steps below should also work for the Campaign Peninsula and Campaign Gettysburg weather scenarios, in case if you have problems with these games please request help here and provide details of what problem has appeared.
Note that I use a file manager called "Total Commander" so my screenshots differ from the usual view of Windows Explorer or other file managers.

1. Download the "Campaign Ozark Weather Variant.zip" here: http://old-banshee.com/weather-downloads.php

2. After the download finished you end with a file called "Campaign Ozark Weather Variant.zip".

3. Either unpack that file by using a free packer program like WinRAR or a file manager with an integrated packer. Best would be to unpack into a temporary folder that you can delete after finishing installation. After unpacking you end up with a folder called "Campaign Ozark".

4. Now enter the "Campaign Ozark" folder and mark all its content.

5. Either move or copy the marked content to the game installation folder. The game installation folder is the folder where the cpz.exe is located just like the folders Campaign, Info, Map, Media, Music.

6. If you acted correctly you will see the weather scenarios end up side by side with the original scenarios.

7. You can also verify that you acted correctly by starting the game and again seeing the weather scenarios side by side wit the original scenarios.

If you fail to see the weather scenarios side by side with the original scenarios and if you also can't choose them in the game you obviously did not get the weather scenarios where they should be.
Besides making a mistake in any of the above steps it could also be the often arising problem of having installed the game into the "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" folder. Windows is unfriendly if it comes to programs installed into these folders. I strongly advise to uninstall the game and reinstall it into a different folder.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:47 am 

Thanks for the extended explanation. My intent was to make the installation as simple as possible, meaning all you have to do is download the file and "extract to" (usually an option when you drag and drop a zip file) the "HPS Simulations" folder. I see now that the "HPS Simulations" folder is found in the root directory, not within "Program files", which can be misleading.

Simply put, download the zip file to your HPS Simulations folder, right-click and "extract here".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:36 am 

simovitch wrote:
Simply put, download the zip file to your HPS Simulations folder, right-click and "extract here".

That would only work if the game is installed just the way the installation program sets the path.
If, like it's always recommended, the installation is placed somewhere else it's highly likely that not only the game isn't installed into a "HPS Simulations" folder but it's also likely that the name for the game folder isn't for example "Campaign Ozark" but something else.
In my example I installed the game it into a different partition, not into a "HPS Simulations" folder but directly onto the partition, and I used a different folder name. Now even if I use the correct patch where the game is installed, only extracting the zip file would lead to this:

I would advise to repack the mod but only the content and not use any pre-set game folder name. By this any interested one can download and put the zip into the same path that the game EXE is, usually one can find the path by examine the desktop shortcut. If the zip is there it can directly be extracted and the mod would end where it belongs and not in a pre-set folder.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:06 pm 

Yes, good point, especially now with the JTS switchover from HPS. I'll try to get around to doing this.