American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:17 am 

Can anyone tell me how the computer selects a target or targets in a stack of units when the ADF option is used. I suppose this question is applicable to both the Battleground and the Campaign series. But maybe the answer is different. Furthermore, is the criteria, if known, repeated for multiple shots against the same targets in the same turn? :?

I know that there's been much written in this forum about ADF characteristics, but I couldn't find anything specific that answers the question above.

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:54 am 

My theory is it uses a "digital" Ouija Board. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:53 pm 

Hi, Joe,

I used to think the computer picked on the top unit in the stack most often. Now I am not sure.

I play phase, so each stack gets one shot. Don't remember how it works using turn op fire.

Miss the days when each unit would fire individually in ADF, even though that meant a longer replay.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:21 pm 

Turn based fire is by unit I believe. I vaguely remember some change regarding stacks but not sure it changed the fire to stacks or not on opportunity(fire triggered by movement) type fire.

But from the point of view of odds of making a hit, stack fire is better. It is one of the reasons Turn based fire performs so poorly. The calculation used makes a random roll for casualties from fire using a minimum and a maximum value. If the unit(s) firing are so weak the minimum is below 0, you lose part of your fire power that would have shown up if the unit had been combined with another unit to get a minimum above 0.

That is one of the many reasons Turn play is really bad for the CSA side. They usually have guns in sections of one or two. These fire at very poor chance of hitting resulting in just wasted ammo which the CSA side rarely can afford. I would have to dig out the formulas to demonstrate this but the result would be firing three sections independently at range will usually result in fewer casualties than if the three sections were combined in one fire. Turn play also makes this effect more likely because of the halving of Defensive Fire in it.