ACWGC
* ACWGC     * Dpt. of Records       * CSA HQ    * VMI    * Join CSA    
   * Union HQ    * UMA    * Join Union     ACWGC Memorial
CSA Armies:    ANV    AoT
Union Armies:    AotT     AotC      AotP      AotS     Union Army Forums
     Link Express
American Civil War Books, Magazines and Games for sale (See other items)
Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: New PDT weapon values.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:52 am
Posts: 1057
Location:
C. Hecht wrote:
The researched ranges have no impact on the organization of the batteries, but it's up to the player how to employ them.
Besides this there were also uniform batteries, likely more common in the Union but nonetheless.
That rifled pieces were deployed side by side with smoothbores is no reason to somehow shorten their ranges.


I see your point now. I have no problem with increasing to the max range if the likelihood of any damage over a certain range is minimal, like .1. But I also have no problem with an
artificial max range based on the technological limitations of that period. They have already done that with (small arm) rifles, even though they could hit at much greater range. Sniper rifles at over twice the range. Color me neutral. But thanks for that artillery file. Pretty interesting!

_________________
MG Mike Mihalik
Forrest's Cavalry Corps
AoWest/CSA


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: New PDT weapon values.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:24 pm
Posts: 728
Location: Terra
0.1 would mean not even a half casualty for a 6 gun battery. The lowest value currently used is 0.25 and that gives at least 1.125 casualties, I think that should be the bottom line.

_________________
Major General Christian Hecht
Commander I Corps, Army of the Potomac
Image
Union Cabinet Secretary
Support adding a AAR SUB-FORUM


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: New PDT weapon values.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:52 am
Posts: 1057
Location:
C. Hecht wrote:
0.1 would mean not even a half casualty for a 6 gun battery. The lowest value currently used is 0.25 and that gives at least 1.125 casualties, I think that should be the bottom line.


Then there is the problem of ADF. Do you really want the choice to be essentially 4 hexes or max range with a chance of inflicting one casualty at a range greater than, say, a mile?

_________________
MG Mike Mihalik
Forrest's Cavalry Corps
AoWest/CSA


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: New PDT weapon values.
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:24 pm
Posts: 728
Location: Terra
Will we also see new PDT movement values that are standardized over all games?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20968

_________________
Major General Christian Hecht
Commander I Corps, Army of the Potomac
Image
Union Cabinet Secretary
Support adding a AAR SUB-FORUM


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: New PDT weapon values.
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:32 am
Posts: 1691
Location: USA
You have to be careful giving units long ranges just because their weapons could fire that far. Unless you are going to play all games with manual control of both offensive and defensive fire you are going to have the AI run you out of ammo. Ranges should reflect weapon use doctrine as well as potential. Long range artillery fire was done more to harass the enemy rather than to actual do damage. Likewise rifle fire was seldom used except for harassment at range of 300+ yards. There was little chance of a hit unless the target was unusually massed.

_________________
General Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
AoT II/1/3 (CSA)


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: New PDT weapon values.
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:24 pm
Posts: 728
Location: Terra
True, anyhow AI should be not our concern especially as a HvH club.
I wouldn't mind if the AI gets improved in that aspect but just to refrain the use of correct ranges so the AI can handle it while the human player is the fooled one isn't OK at all.

_________________
Major General Christian Hecht
Commander I Corps, Army of the Potomac
Image
Union Cabinet Secretary
Support adding a AAR SUB-FORUM


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: New PDT weapon values.
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:52 am
Posts: 1057
Location:
C. Hecht wrote:
True, anyhow AI should be not our concern especially as a HvH club.
I wouldn't mind if the AI gets improved in that aspect but just to refrain the use of correct ranges so the AI can handle it while the human player is the fooled one isn't OK at all.


I think AI HAS to be our concern as long as the vast majority play ADF or turn. A needed fix is changing the range settings. Instead of the intermediate range being a random selection of firing units it should be a hard max, like the minimum setting only farther out, like maybe 10 hexes. Unless you want to give everybody unlimited artillery ammo, which would render range settings unnecessary anyway.

_________________
MG Mike Mihalik
Forrest's Cavalry Corps
AoWest/CSA


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: New PDT weapon values.
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:24 pm
Posts: 728
Location: Terra
Yea simple max hex range is the way do go. Question is if Berto can "easily" change the current system to that.

_________________
Major General Christian Hecht
Commander I Corps, Army of the Potomac
Image
Union Cabinet Secretary
Support adding a AAR SUB-FORUM


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: New PDT weapon values.
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:32 am
Posts: 1691
Location: USA
AI is a major concern. Not because player's are using it as an opponent but because you have to use the AI's fire logic to eliminate having to have an extra mail round to resolve defensive fire in phased play. For Turn play you have no choice by to use the AI to handle defensive fire. It is a particular problem for the Rebel player because he usually has limited ammo supply. The Union player can in most scenarios let the AI bang away at anything it can find to shoot at. The Rebel player however will lose most games if it allows this. Some games it is necessary to set the AI for both artillery and small arms to minimum range if the player doesn't want to watch the Union walk over him toward the end of the game because he can't even fire.

This is a significant problem to a player who has limited supplies because he has to give up having a defensive fire phase because the AI has almost no settings between not shooting except at adjacent units and blasting away at maximum ranges.

It is also a problem that should be easy to fix since all that is needed is a few more choices in what ranges the AI will try to fire in. In most cases, that would handle the worse of the problems. It would be nice to have an AI that actually made good choices in what to fire at but it isn't necessary to fix the problem for most situations.

_________________
General Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
AoT II/1/3 (CSA)


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: New PDT weapon values.
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:15 am
Posts: 310
Location: Australia
Quote:
AI is a major concern. Not because players are using it as an opponent...


Fwiw, that actually is the reason it is a major concern.

_________________
[*]JTS Graphics Coordinator (one of them).
[*]JTS Artist (one of them).
[*]JTS other duties as assigned...
[*]http://hist-sdc.com


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: New PDT weapon values.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:20 pm
Posts: 1278
Location: USA
Are you saying, Steve, that AI play is a necessary asset to the sale of these games?

_________________
General Jos. C. Meyer, ACWGC
Union Army Chief of Staff
Commander, Army of the Shenandoah
Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)


Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: New PDT weapon values.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:15 am
Posts: 310
Location: Australia
Joe Meyer wrote:
Are you saying, Steve, that AI play is a necessary asset to the sale of these games?


Basically that is the gist of what the feedback to the company has been for a long time now, although I don't know how WDS will approach things -I am speaking more generally across the range of series'.

_________________
[*]JTS Graphics Coordinator (one of them).
[*]JTS Artist (one of them).
[*]JTS other duties as assigned...
[*]http://hist-sdc.com


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: New PDT weapon values.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:52 am
Posts: 1057
Location:
Speaking strictly for me, playing against the computer holds little attraction for me anymore, even against a challenging AI.

_________________
MG Mike Mihalik
Forrest's Cavalry Corps
AoWest/CSA


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: New PDT weapon values.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:24 pm
Posts: 728
Location: Terra
Yea HvH in phases is the way to go even if more mails have to be send.
But I guess the majority of the clubs member's are US citizens what always leaves the option to do at least the smaller scenario by direct-play what is much faster then even playing in turns.

_________________
Major General Christian Hecht
Commander I Corps, Army of the Potomac
Image
Union Cabinet Secretary
Support adding a AAR SUB-FORUM


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: New PDT weapon values.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:32 am
Posts: 1691
Location: USA
S_Trauth wrote:
Quote:
AI is a major concern. Not because players are using it as an opponent...


Fwiw, that actually is the reason it is a major concern.


If its a major concern then the game is screwed. :wink:

I doubt anyone will be able to program an AI for a game that has hundreds of units operating across thousands of hexes. At best it will be like play a ten year old who doesn't not the game rules. The possiblities that an AI would have to evaluate just to move one unit would be staggering much less trying to coordinate those moves.


The AI's in most of these board games are just scripted movements. They can make a very stagnant situation playable but usually they are easily exploited. Most rely on just giving the computer better everything to compensate for dumb but that does not create a very interesting game.

Maybe if you interface your computer opponent to Big Blue it might work.

_________________
General Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
AoT II/1/3 (CSA)


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: