American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:21 am 

Any suggestions? I'm not a big fan of AGEOD titles but I'd bite the bullet if they are the best available.

Merry Christmas to everyone and your families. I wish you all the best for Christmas and the New Year!

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:57 pm 

LTGEN E.L.Bird, Sir <Salute,

Emmette, there is a new game coming out this coming summer from Grand Tactician:
http://www.grandtactician.com/thecivilwar/index.html

Looks to have a lot of potential.

In addition, I've been building a Grand Scenario for HPS/JTS but the map is a major project. It's built on a Division scale and covers the complete war. The OOB and leader list was a beast too. Some of the tricky parts are reinforcements and river for sea navel units. Looks interesting but it all depends on my free time to complete. Hope to have it done this coming year.

Here is a quick peak at the Jump Map:

Army of the Tennessee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:12 pm 

Of the ones I have tried AGEOD did the best job of Strategic Simulation. It does have flaws which I don't think the ever fixed.

However, they did come out with another version, Civil War 2.
I have only looked at it on UTube so can't really judge how well they did. At its core is the old game but they upgraded the graphics considerably. It looked like they added unnecessary complexity by making you have handle resources. Their changes to the combat system are a little harder to judge.

Maybe someone out there who has both can tell us what changed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:14 pm 
Gentlemen,

I have put some hours into Civil War 2 solo. Pretty decent game with a commander activation system that does a fairly decent job of simulating the frustration of trying to get commanders to move their forces and actually fight. Terrible AI. Like most strategic CW era games it can't keep up with the complexities of combining gunboat/infantry armies.

The supply and supply source system props it up pretty good along with the FOW. The commanders are well researched and most of the really good quality brigades. The research and history are there, but it does take 2 or 3 plays through to understand how to achieve a solid victory.

All indications are that in head to head play the Rebs do not stand a chance unless they can somehow get a victory by the end of '62. It has a lot in common with Eastern Front games. You have to win by a certain point or try to survive the attrition until the end and usually you won't.

You will have trouble finding opponents as few peeps have given it a go.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:03 pm 

I just picked up Ageod's CWII at the Matrix sale and was a big fan of the legacy version of the first one. Just getting into it and it looks like there are some good improvements with respect to expanding the economic options and improving the UI. There is a lot under the hood that needs to be learned in order to play it well against a human, but none of it is too difficult (like learning how to strucuture Divisions/Corps, how battles actually resolve, how frontages are optimized, and which posture works best when) but that's all part of what I liked about this game.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:10 pm 

Indeed Ageod's CWII seems the way to go, but as General Mills pointed at the Ai is pretty bad so playing against a human opponent is mandatory.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:03 pm 

Here is an old review of Gary Grigsby's strategic Civil War game.

http://armchairgeneral.com/gary-grigsby ... review.htm

I tried it a couple times but found it to be more complicated than it needed to be.

Really liked his War in the East WWII game though!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:50 am 

Gary Grigsby's War Between the States is a neglected classic. I actively play it and have for years. Its a strategic game where maneuver, supplies, leadership, and production all play roles. Railroads, rivers, naval landings, naval engagements, and the great generals commanding their armies. Its at brigade level. Infantry, artillery, and cavalry on the land and ironclads, gunboats, and deep sea naval vessels. And the engineers who build forts and supply depots. Its a great game playing either side.