American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:01 am 

Having just acquired Campaign: Chancellorsville, I'm dipping my toes into the Rappahanock River for the first time, in the first AI scenario (AI Challenge April 30th). I'm playing the Union side (per scenario instructions). I've moved a regiment to a ford, but can't move into the ford. I keep getting the message "Units cannot move into water hexes" (or something to that effect). I can, however, move a leader into that hex. I know about rebuilding bridges, but this isn't a bridge hex. What am I missing? Is it just that Yankees are afraid of the water? :O

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:00 am 

Hi David,

I did a couple test and found that the Ford are acting just like bridges. You can only move into them in Column/Mounted formation and in the direction of the Ford. If you are in column formation, coming from an angle or the Ford is occupied you will get the message, "Cannot move into water hex".

I've tried to move cavalry and infantry across the Fords in column/mounted formation and had no issues.

Hope that helps! :)

Army of the Tennessee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:15 am 

Although it says "Ford", if there isn't a road or trail running into it and out of it on both sides of the ford, you ain't crossing. Been a long time since I played Chancellorsville but Overland is loaded with these types of fake fords.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:48 pm 

nsimms wrote:
Although it says "Ford", if there isn't a road or trail running into it and out of it on both sides of the ford, you ain't crossing. Been a long time since I played Chancellorsville but Overland is loaded with these types of fake fords.

General Simms - Thanks. If that's the case, this scenario must REALLY be a challenge for the Yanks, since a large part of their reinforcements coming in won't be able to cross over and engage the enemy! :(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:49 pm 

D. Hampel wrote:
Hi David,

I did a couple test and found that the Ford are acting just like bridges. You can only move into them in Column/Mounted formation and in the direction of the Ford. If you are in column formation, coming from an angle or the Ford is occupied you will get the message, "Cannot move into water hex".

I've tried to move cavalry and infantry across the Fords in column/mounted formation and had no issues.

General Hampel - Thanks, I'll try that! :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:04 pm 

D. Hampel wrote:
Hi David,

General Hampel - That worked! Of course, I'm still having to approach a stiff Reb position (with artillery, and behind breastworks) with infantry in column, but at least I'm able to cross. Rather wish I was the Rebs again in this one, though! lol