American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:04 am 

Does any one have rules for Solitaire play.

Mahone's Brigade
1/111
ANV

Let us cross the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:37 pm 

Depends on what you mean.
If you're talking about playing both sides in a game I did a lot of that with the old BG games prior to discovering pbem clubs.
Also did some in my play testing.
For that I generally made a plan beforehand, used FoW and just played both sides trying not to take advantage of knowledge of other side's intentions.
Being an old boardgamer I had been doing that for years to test out what if ideas.

Against the AI, I seldom play against the AI other than for play testing purposes, I never play large or multi day scenarios.
I've done some work with the AI and there are too many problems when the AI is set just to attack or defend.
Using scripts for smaller, shorter actions can work well, especially if multiple scripts are written.
Scripts work fairly well at unit level, as the AI will follow unit orders and the only problems will be delays caused by different terrain moved through, or enemy units.
At Brigade level they are decent if well written, but that allows the AI more latitude and the problems show up more.
For larger battles the designers generally use scripts at Division/Corps levels or just the generic attack/defend AI orders.
These just plain do not work well due to the AI's inability to move large formations,
it will often deploy infantry into line even when there is no enemy in LOS of a command.
Also it's tendency to send limbered artillery out in front of the infantry is ridiculous.

So if you want to play against the AI I would suggest the smaller, shorter scenarios.
This can give you an idea of what works/doesn't work in the game.

But your best bet is to find someone with similar gaming tastes,
you'll find those who are gamers, using every quirk in the engine,
others who prefer to play with more historical tactics and those in the middle.
And if you ask you can find members who are more than willing to take on a newbie and help him learn the ins and outs.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:13 pm 

krmiller_usa wrote:
Depends on what you mean.
If you're talking about playing both sides in a game I did a lot of that with the old BG games prior to discovering pbem clubs.
Also did some in my play testing.
For that I generally made a plan beforehand, used FoW and just played both sides trying not to take advantage of knowledge of other side's intentions.
Being an old boardgamer I had been doing that for years to test out what if ideas.

Against the AI, I seldom play against the AI other than for play testing purposes, I never play large or multi day scenarios.
I've done some work with the AI and there are too many problems when the AI is set just to attack or defend.
Using scripts for smaller, shorter actions can work well, especially if multiple scripts are written.
Scripts work fairly well at unit level, as the AI will follow unit orders and the only problems will be delays caused by different terrain moved through, or enemy units.
At Brigade level they are decent if well written, but that allows the AI more latitude and the problems show up more.
For larger battles the designers generally use scripts at Division/Corps levels or just the generic attack/defend AI orders.
These just plain do not work well due to the AI's inability to move large formations,
it will often deploy infantry into line even when there is no enemy in LOS of a command.
Also it's tendency to send limbered artillery out in front of the infantry is ridiculous.

So if you want to play against the AI I would suggest the smaller, shorter scenarios.
This can give you an idea of what works/doesn't work in the game.

But your best bet is to find someone with similar gaming tastes,
you'll find those who are gamers, using every quirk in the engine,
others who prefer to play with more historical tactics and those in the middle.
And if you ask you can find members who are more than willing to take on a newbie and help him learn the ins and outs.

Hi, Ken,

I think the lieutenant is talking about the board game. They may have a vassal module for it, but no AI.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:48 am 

Many thanks for your reply. I am talking about the board game from GMT. I am finding it difficult as both sides are visible. I was thinking maybe issuing written orders to the corps, divisions, brigades.

Mahone's Brigade
1/111
ANV

Let us cross the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:32 pm 

Sorry, I didn't see the reference to the game.
You could go with what I said about making a plan for both sides for each day.
Set up orders for the commands and have them stick to them until changed.
If you want some suggestions on a system you could take a look at the tables I used when I ran an umpired MP game.
http://srmp.thealleghenyblues.com/
Go to the Tables link to see how I handled orders to non player officers.
We used something similar in our miniatures group to prevent players from reacting to actions on another part of the field that they would not have been able to see in real life.
If nothing else this might give you some ideas on how to handle it.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:53 am 

Hi Danny, I have checked both version of TSS rules and there is nothing in the old version about solitaire play, but I do have a contact than could help - just pm or e-mail me and I will give you the details.

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:48 pm 

You just have to develop a good case of multiple personalities. Make sure one is Yankee and the other Reb. :D

Barring this, solitaire can be used test strategies. It usually works best in games where one side is clearly the defender since you can plan their defense based on what they should "know" and follow it until the enemy plan reveals itself. Then make best effort you can to counter. That allows you to actively play the attacker.