American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:42 pm 

"Old Jack" by Don Troiani

Retirement Honors for Major General Larry Mills

Officers of the Confederate States of America (CSA) Armies & Fellow Club Members,

It is with deep gratitude that I wanted to gather everyone here today to honor Major General Larry Mills on his retirement from the Club. Larry has asked to be billeted out to the Veterans Corps and though I am sad to see him go, I'm happy for the time he has given the Club and in particular the CSA! Larry had originally joined in 2005. In January 2019 Larry rejoined the Club again and started lending a hand soon afterwards. From his great Clash of Titans and Pemberton Gets Help Tournaments to the many hours he spent helping the CSA in multiple different ways.

Larry has served as a Trainer at the Vicksburg Military Institute (VMI) since January of 2019. In February of 2019 he was appointed as the first ever Chief Signal Officer of the Signals Bureau, a position on the CSA CoA Staff that was tasked with continued assistance and a point of contact for new officers after their VMI graduation. Assisting & keeping up communications with new officers to help them get further involved in the Club would continue to be something Larry was more than happy to do. This was also reflected in Larry's appointment to Division Command also in February 2019. He took command of 1st (Mahone's) Division, III (Swamp Legion) Corps, Army of Northern Virginia (ANV). His division became a unit in the ANV where new officers would be assigned to. A model that has been emulated in some other CSA divisions.

Starting late last year and into the early Spring of this year Larry worked extensively with myself & General Nick Kunz on the reorganization of the Army of Northern Virginia (ANV). Though an official Club announcement hasn't been made yet, I mention it here because of Larry's immense help in the process. Him & Nick took the time to do a questionnaire survey of all the ANV members to help better guide the decisions made in the reorg. Brigadier General Walt Dortch had done the survey with his Corps in the Army of the Potomac (AotP) and was kind enough to provide it for us to use.

Finally Larry has served as Corps Commander of II (Jackson's) Corps since this past April. Larry spent a lot time getting the Corps setup and going while also working on the Pemberton Gets Help Tournament.

I personally appreciate the correspondence Larry had with me through the reorganization process and enjoyed hearing about his horse ranch & passion for horses! I learned a lot about horses too! :)

For the outstanding service Larry gave to the Club & the CSA I am proud to award him some final medals as a Thank You!

Thank you Larry from ALL of us! We wish you the best!

Three Cheers for Major General Mills!

Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

I have once again asked Drinkin' & Fightin' General Cam McOmish & his String Band play us the "Yellow Rose of Texas" in honor of Larry and and his service to the CSA & the Army of Northern Virginia (ANV)! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLUG25ccunc

The buffet of food & more importantly drinks is open! Let's all get there before Cam & Tim Miller do! :mrgreen:

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:24 pm 

Congratulations, sir! <salute>

2nd Corp

AoT
"Let's fill up our canteens, boys. Some of us will be in hell before nightfall and we'll need the water"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:23 am 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
Gentlemen, Sirs! <salute>

It was my pleasure to work closely with Larry from the beginning of his return to active duty. We spent a great deal of time exchanging emails on a broad range of topics and ideas. Larry was a very focused person and helped to generate some new excitement with his offerings of some what if battle scenarios for tournament play.

He will be missed but there are those members in our gaming Club who also have some talent in battle design and so the beat goes on!

SALUTE!

Respectfully submitted,

Your Obedient Servant,

General Nick Kunz
Commandant,
Vicksburg Military Institute

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:28 am 

Gen. Mills, Sir <salute>

Larry, it has been an honor and a pleasure working with you on projects together and me beating you in our battles. :P

It's a sad day to see such a good officer retire his sidearm and sword.

You will be greatly missed here and are welcomed back at any time.

Even thou we wear different colored uniforms and stand on different sides of the Mason Dixon line, I wish you all the best in the future and great relaxation in your retirement. Never be afraid to send a courier message out to keep us updated on how you're doing.

Respectful,

Army of the Tennessee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:58 am 

Gen. Mills,

A year ago we had a short discussion about your scenario work and although I did not take part in the tournaments you put together, your work looked very well done. Your efforts were definitely a plus for the club and I am sorry to see you leave after such a brief return.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:47 pm 

General Mills < SALUTE >, thank you for your efforts, should you wish to rejoin the colours that is alway a billet out west with the AoT

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America