American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:02 am 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0lEuIP ... 8JhDnOmeFQ

The Battle Of Gettysburg podcast most popular episode.
Yes. Yes. I know he would have stunk if he would have been there. Ha ha. Too soon. :?

2nd Corp

AoT
"Let's fill up our canteens, boys. Some of us will be in hell before nightfall and we'll need the water"

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:37 am 

Yep

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:17 am 

There is a scenario for BG Gettysburg The Stonewall at Gettysburg with the premise Jackson survives his Chancellorsville wound and is at the battle.
Although it may be based on a mistaken notion that Lee would not have introduced a third corps had he survived.
Several books I've read appear to indicate Lee was considering reducing the corps size prior to Stonewall's death.

Unfortunately I don't believe it was ever ported over to the HPS/JTS version.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:43 am 

That's a crying shame. I wish they would have transferred that over! Imagine the possibilities! A Gettysburg tournament...with Jackson on the field! Nice!
If you are a Scourge Of War fan, sir, they also offer a scenario with Jackson alive and well at Gettysburg.

2nd Corp

AoT
"Let's fill up our canteens, boys. Some of us will be in hell before nightfall and we'll need the water"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:13 am 

My second novel (no, I'm unpublished) is a time travel story about Jackson affecting the Gettysburg outcome.
It's mostly about changes in the present and how it was changed.

My quick summary is that Jackson, sick from his pneumonia, accompanies the army (yes, reformed into 3 corps).
On the 2nd day, he takes over the move around the Union right flank... and the battle is won.
But, of course, not the war.
A truce comes about...

The story is about choices, moral and others. It is set in present-day, with jumps back in time.

Haven't finished it yet.

"That's damn ungenerous! I shall take those guns for that!"

-General Phil Sheridan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:55 pm 

I'd like to take a gander at that when you get it completed, sir. Bug fan of alternate history.

2nd Corp

AoT

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:18 pm 

I'm not sure that Jackson would have made as big of a difference to the ANV, as many observers seem to think. Ewell was plenty aggressive in his decision making on July 1st, from marching towards Gettysburg rather than Cashtown as Lee instructed, and not hesitating to pitch into the XI Corps despite Lee's orders not to bring about a general engagement. Ewell's aggressive decision making did much to secure the rebel victory on July 1st. Had things gone sideways for Ewell north of Gettysburg, one could certainly make an argument that his actions were insubordinate. Whatever the outcome, Lee was clearly intending to mass the army at Cashtown before advancing westward, and two of his top commanders arguably defied orders by moving on Gettysburg in such strength.

The big wild card would be to what degree Lee would exert operational direction and control over Jackson during the campaign. While Lee had a deferential style of command when it came to Longstreet and Jackson, he tried to exhibit more control over his formations throughout the Gettysburg campaign than he usually did and arguably never found the right balance with Hill and Ewell. Lee was interested in taking Harrisburg and consequently directed Ewell to move on that spot. Jackson or no Jackson, Lee was still operating blind without Stuart, and the news that the Army of the Potomac was already across its namesake river and moving into Pennsylvania came as a great shock to Lee, and upset pretty much every part of his operational design in progress. It is unclear how Jackson would impact this development, especially if he was given the lead like Ewell had been and was operating against Harrisburg like Ewell. He might have captured Harrisburg, maybe not. Either way he would have soon received orders to move south and join Lee.

This is where things get interesting. If Jackson had received orders to march on Cashtown, would he then have moved to that spot and ignored the growing sounds of battle near Gettysburg? Jackson was if anything a stickler for obeying orders, and if he had explicit orders to head to Cashtown it's possible that he would have disregarded Hill's predicament and joined Lee. Jackson was not very good at managing meeting engagements (Kernstown, Cedar Mountain, Brawner Farm) and I think he would have run into the same indecision that Ewell did has he faced down Cemetery Hill on the afternoon of July 1st. Ewell had received reports of Federal troops approaching down the York Rd, which would have put a federal column squarely in the rear left flank of any rebel attack. These reports were partially accurate - Sykes had been heading down that road earlier in the day, but unknown to the rebels had been diverted to the Baltimore Pike route. Secondly, Cemetery Hill was not nearly as undefended as some have claimed - there was a Yankee division in reserve on the hill, and the masses of the retreating I Corps and XI Corps were all gathering on the hill.

Ewell's corps had taken a beating on July 1st, and didn't have its full strength on the field. Given the nearness of Johnson's division and the casualties, it's entirely reasonable to think that Jackson would have at least paused a bit to allow Johnson to come up before moving on Cemetery hill. Early and Rhodes were both non-committal and lukewarm to the idea of continuing the attack, and Ewell certainly took this into account when he decided to pause for the night. With the lack of reliable information on the enemy strength and disposition, an exhausted an incomplete corps, and a potential threat to the rear of his position, it's very possible Jackson might have reached the same conclusion as Ewell.