American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:31 pm 

I was watching the Gettysburg 90s movie trailer earlier (not much else to do between football games on a Sunday) and thought about how "empty" a number of scenes were without background action. It could have been much better had it been made with either more extras, a larger budget, or some CGI help. That got me thinking about how they have edited Star Wars again... and again... and again... to the point where the original ones almost look like they were made in 2011 or so.

Could you... or would you... do the same to Gettysburg? Maybe add another line of men here and there around Pickett? Perhaps increase the number of dead and wounded on the fields. You could add some scenes (just as Star Wars did) to establish scenes better and add more flavor to the movie. The movie's soundtrack is top notch so you would not touch that. But it might be nice to have more period music.

One trick often used was to film using tight shots to fill the screen. Or using smoke and hills to block the larger picture from being seen. Also, where are the dead and wounded of Pettigrew and Trimble?

Blasphemy to edit Gettysburg? Probably. But more or less blasphemy than to edit Star Wars? Debatable. Just be happy they haven't edited out the Rebel flags from the movie and replaced them with inoffensive skull and bones flags or something. :wink:

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:35 pm 

As a fan of both movies, I enjoyed the added scenes that were added via CGI in Star Wars (Han's meeting with Jabba at Mos Eisley docking bay...94 to be precise :wink: ...at the Falcon). As an avid fan, I was ok with it. I think it would be ok to digitally remove something, add some effects or troops via CGI for a classic like Gettysburg as well. Just my humble opinion.

2nd Corp

AoT
"Let's fill up our canteens, boys. Some of us will be in hell before nightfall and we'll need the water"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:30 am 

The title of this post promised so much yet delivered such mundane discussion. I fully expected to find a serious discourse about the Rebel Alliance taking on the evil Union Empire - Stormtroopers dressed in garish blue armor. General Scott Ludwig, General Tim Miller and myself dressed in flowing grey robes armed with Light Sabers (MK2) holding back the hordes of Stormtroopers and Droids (Union AoT). Cut to the end where General Cam destroys the Union Battle Star with a single shot from a 20lb Parrot gun. I have General Joe Meyer pegged as the Union Darth Vader, with the whole of the AoS as Ekwok's. Hell this is potential movie plot - I am claiming the intellectual property rights. :mrgreen:

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

Last edited by cameronm on Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inability to write a coherent sentence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:24 am 

General McOmish...if you ever make this into a comic book, I request an autographed copy please, sir. Excellent! A Star Wars/Civil War mash-up! I guess Star Wars is a Civil War in itself, huh? *assumes a deep, philosophical stare*
Oh well. I could totally see this!
General Ludwig would make an extremely convincing Chewbacca, I'm sure Captain Holt could double as R2, and General Meadows would rock the cinnamon bun Leia hair do: "Help me, Obi-McOmish! You're my only hope!"
Wait a minute! If General Meyers is Vader...does that make him the Chosen One?!?!?

Attachments:
20200922065611.jpg
20200922065611.jpg [ 38.89 KiB | Viewed 3023 times ]

2nd Corp

AoT
"Let's fill up our canteens, boys. Some of us will be in hell before nightfall and we'll need the water"