American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Target
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:12 am 

Am I better off firing my infantry at artillery crews or other enemy infantry? I never seem to have any luck firing at crews but they destroy my men at short range.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Target
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:15 am 

If you want to see what it takes to kill an artillery crew go to Help. Parameter Data.
Scroll down till you see a line that looks like
Fire Modifiers
Enfiladed: 40% Cavalry: 40% Gunboat: 1/10
Crew Kill: 100

This may vary from scenario to scenario as it is a developer setting.
From the updated Users Manual you will see this explanation of the value.

Thus if the nominal strength loss is 25 and the Crew Kill value is 100, there would be a 25% chance the crew would become killed.
If the crew is not killed it takes the Fatigue for the losses it would have incurred from the fire casualties as if it was infantry.

From this and your experience firing at different ranges into different terrain you can figure the chances of getting a crew kill and decide if it is worth it or not.
Personally if I have a better target I take that shot, if you have no other targets then take the shot as the fatigue you will give artillery does count double once medium or high values are reached. This means the effect of those levels doubles for artillery and a medium fatigue gun unit loses 20% and a high one 40% which pretty much makes it a waste of ammo when it shoots.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:19 pm 

Thanks for you fine explanation regarding infantry fire versus artillery batteries, General Miller.

How does this work when conducting artillery fire against opposing artillery batteries?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:41 pm 

If you download the recently updated manuals at the JTS site you'll find the description above in the Users Manual under Uncrewed Artillery and Recrewing.
The download allows you to place the updated manuals in any of your game folders.
It's handled just like any other update to the games, you point it to the folder for your game and unzip.
Although you need to point it to the Manuals folder in your game rather than the main folder.

As to your question regarding counter battery fire, you can find that in the Combat Results section of Users under Artillery Loses, it uses a similar system for determining gun losses from artillery fire but the value is set at 25 men throughout the games.

You'll also find some other examples in the Users Manual that I think will be useful to players relatively new to the games.
In the Main Help file you'll find explanations of the various menu commands as well as a listing of the toobar icons and a list of the Hotkeys.

You can access the manuals from the Help menu, they do require you have Acrobat Reader installed to use this option.
However you can still access them from the Manuals folder of your game using any program that supports reading pdf files.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP