American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:59 pm 

When I began to have battles with Col. John Brogden 6/1/XIV, AotC he requested that we have a house rule where he proposed that artillery stacking be limited to a maximum of eight guns per hex as he considered it a more realistic interpretation than the limits imposed by the game. It sounded right to me so I readily agreed. Whether I am wargaming with miniatures, boardgames or computer games I am always hoping to have the most realistic representation that is possible.

I recently came across a manual titled Instruction for Field Artillery (https://books.google.com.au/books?id=G2cDAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false) where on page 185 it instructs that the distance given must be 14 yards between each piece (and each piece would probably occupy a frontage of 1-2 yards) - it was printed by the Union in 1864.
This would mean that as the John Tiller hexes have are considered as 125 yards, a limit of 8 guns would fit the manual instructions almost exactly. [The manual also instructs that the limbers are to be 6 yards back from the pieces and the caissons back another 11 yards from the limbers.] In short, they took up a lot of room. The reasons for such spacing between the guns is obviously because of smoke and safety.

Furthermore, when I mentioned this rule to another Union opponent (who agreed to have it for our current game) he provided me with this link (https://www.battlefields.org/sites/default/files/atoms/files/Gettysburg--July%203%201863--Picketts%20Charge%20Artillery%20Positions%20%28October%202019%29_0.pdf). That link shows artillery positions at Gettysburg and when examined you can see that in most instances there are no more than six guns placed within 125 yards.

What do others think of this house rule? A more realistic option?

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:51 pm 

COL Swanson - -

I believe that the 8 guns per hex stacking limit does indeed represent a more historically accurate representation of artillery deployment in the War of Northern Aggression. The manual you cite was brought to my attention as well (by COL Nelson AotP) and is a great source for backing this stacking limit. I usually include it in new games (now that I am aware of its existence, and rationale).

Josef Seidl, COL, CSA
Commanding Stuart's Cavalry (4th Div / I Corps)
ANV

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:57 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
Gentlemen, Sirs! <salute>

I have within the past year or so begun to be more or less in favor of that rule, actually I usually say 6 Gun rule but on occasion there can be the odd 7 or 8 Gun battery in the Order of Battle. When sometimes, at my age happens more times than not, I forget to adhere to the rule until reminded by my opponent, I make the correct adjustment, right Walt! :mrgreen:

Respectfully,

Your Obedient Servant,

General Nick Kunz
Commandant,
Vicksburg Military Institute

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:57 pm 

I remember many years ago when the games were still in the Talonsoft stage there were the Norris-Frost conversions that reduced the maximum size of infantry units to 400 men. I forget the max artillery number but the intent was to have a max number more in keeping with historical frontages. I played one of the conversions once. It slowed down the action considerably.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:37 pm 

mihalik wrote:
I remember many years ago when the games were still in the Talonsoft stage there were the Norris-Frost conversions that reduced the maximum size of infantry units to 400 men. I forget the max artillery number but the intent was to have a max number more in keeping with historical frontages. I played one of the conversions once. It slowed down the action considerably.

I'm unsure how a change to infantry would impact the game but I could see how reduced infantry unit sizes could do so. Also, I could see reasons why infantry units during the war would reduce the required distances specified in a manual either purposely or unintentionally (road column probably excepted though) but the very nature of artillery is that it takes up a lot of space (on the field or on the march).

In the battles I have had where artillery limits have been in place the action has not slowed to my notice compared with battles where there were no such limits. Current engagements at Gettysburg and Chancellorsville (both full historical versions) are fast and furious.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:39 am 

Gentlemen

Here are the house rules I am using in just about every game I play now:

-Melee by infantry may be conducted in column only across bridges, ford hexes and into town hexes. Cavalry may melee in column.
-Artillery Stacking. No more than 6 unlimbered guns/hex.
-Entry hexes—friendly forces may not voluntarily move within 5 hexes of an enemy entry hex unless it is an exit hex for friendly forces.
-NIGHT rules: No melees except against surrounded units.

See ACWGC House rules below.

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader