American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cold Harbor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:54 pm 

I am playing Denny Holt in the Overland scenario 402-640528_To Cold Harbor_A1 /100. We are 72 moves into the game and there does not appear to be a way for the Union to win this scenario against an excellent, experienced opponent. Denny has stacked artillery at the crossings and entrenched the troops guarding the crossings. Fully stacked Union artillery units firing together have no effect while fire from the entrenched troops regularly kill the artillery men. The Reb artillery destroys unit after unit of the Union artillery while Union fire has "No Effect."

In reality I am aware of the difficulty of the Wilderness but . . . the parameters of this scenario seem to be totally out of whack. Does anyone have any experience with this scenario or any advice other than don't play it as the Union.

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Cold Harbor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:08 pm 

First you may want to check what guns you and he uses and then take a look at the PDT, I doubt there is an error in them but typos can happen easily.
If these are okay you could try to change the approach, I guess the Union should have a bunch of long range rifled artillery that can dish out good damage at higher ranges, the Rebs will likely have the usually 12pd and won't make so much impact unless you are too close to them.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:40 pm 

Thank you General Hecht I will check that out. Locating my long range guns out of Confederate range but still having line-of-sight has proven difficult because of the terrain.

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:08 pm 

Col. Schwartz,

I have not played this particular Overland scenario, so am unable to make any statement concerning any imbalance. Your reference to "No Effect" when firing your guns could be directly related to the manner in which breastworks and trenches are implemented in the game system. If a unit is in a trench hex behind a breastwork hex side, it is IMPREGNABLE except to melee. Since the parameters for each are -50, the net effect is -100 (an effectiveness of 0) when firing anything at any range. You could have a stack of 20 guns at 1 hex range and still score no casualties.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:18 pm 

Sirs:

I have to agree with your assessment of the original scenario design. Once the Confederates fall behind the Chickahominy River, it is exceedingly difficult for the Union to win. I personally know from playing many of the scenarios that best way for the Union to successfully cross the river is use the cover of night to build grand batteries at the crossing sites and to rebuild the bridges during darkness and to attack at first light. I don't recall if the scenario in question has night turns though.

Another solution is to edit the scenario setup. I actually did create a custom scenario for this -- it involved placing objective hexes on the north side of the Chickahominy River to discourage the Rebels from simply falling behind the river line. It was a much better game. Drop me a line if you would like a copy.

BG Muddy Jones
co-designer for Campaing Overland