American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: passing
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:26 pm 

As information, I have been just advised by a family member that Steve Kitchen has passed away. I know he has been a past officer of this Club and I think he will be sorely missed.

ANV CSA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: passing
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:50 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
Gentlemen, Sirs! <salute>

He send out an email last month indicating that his health was not good!

He was a class act of the highest order in both his conduct on and off the field and by the many hours that he dedicated to this gaming Club and especially to the Army of Northern Virginia and his many years as it's Chief of Staff! He will be sorely missed!

Respectfully,

Your Obedient Servant,

General Nick Kunz
Commandant,
Vicksburg Military Institute

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:17 pm 

Steve put a lot of time and effort into our club - he will be sorely missed. General Kitchen <SALUTE>

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:32 pm 

R.I.P. <<<SALUTE>>>

Condolences to family and friends.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:54 pm 

<SALUTE> Always a class act and a hard worker for us all.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:17 am 

Thanks for letting us know and thanks Steve for walking down the road with me for a little while -rip

XX Corps
Army of the Cumberland

Post subject: passing
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:53 pm 

A thought for his family and his friends.

Respectfully,

Patrick Hollevoet

3rd Brigade
1st Division
II Corps

The Army Of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:07 pm 

<SALUTE> With respect and prayers for Steve's family.

UMA Superintendent 2020-2021
Union Cabinet Secretary 2020-2022

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:30 pm 

<SALUTE>
Condolences to his family and friends.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:52 pm 

Bravest of the Brave - by Mort Künstler

In Remembrance of Lieutenant General Steve Kitchen

It is with a heavy heart that news of Steve's passing has been received. Lieutenant General Steve Kitchen joined the ACWGC in May 2004, Graduated in June and was assigned to the Army of Northern Virginia (ANV) where he spent his entire 17 years of service in the Club. In 2007 Steve would go on to command the 1st Division, I (Longstreet's) Corps and from 2009 to 2015 he was Corps Commander of II (Jackson's) Corps. Also in January of 2009 Steve assumed the position of which he would leave the biggest impact and greatest legacy on, Chief of Staff of the Army of Northern Virginia (ANV), which he held until last year, retiring back to II (Jackson's) Corps in command of the 2nd Brigade of 2nd (Hill's Light) Division.

Steve was a great guy, friend to many in the Club & was the right man at the right time. He served with unwavering dedication to the CSA and the command positions he has held. Having assumed the Chief of Staff position during a time of crisis, he spent many years working behind the scenes as one of the club's most competent administrators. He served first under General John Newton and then under General Stewart Stiles, where they would lead the ANV for over a decade!

I had the privilege of knowing Steve for 18 years, having met him in 2003 when we were starting off in the former iNWC. Together for almost 10 years, we worked as webmasters & administrators there. He managed the game forms and the scoring of them for almost all of those years, doing everything "long handed", in the old days before automated systems. He was always precise & consistent and often caught my own mistakes in the admin work we did together. At a time when I was just starting out as a webmaster, he already had very good webmastering skills and taught me a lot. I'd never be able to work with PHP forms if it wasn't for him. Efficient & quick with scoring, updates & awards the iNWC's founder Tom Lachenmaier gave Steve the nickname "Lightning" a befitting term that would hold true for many years to come. He also helped build many wonderful graphics & images for that club and would continue to make a large amount of great graphics for the ANV & CSA.

I was not surprised in the least that these qualities shined through when he took over as the ANV's Chief of Staff. From that moment on the ANV would be well looked after. He not only created a brand new website for it, he organized, managed & updated an extensive ANV Officer Records Charts that tracks a whole host of data on current and former ANV officers and has proven to be very helpful over the years. He also meticulously created Officer Battle Dossier's (OBD) on every ANV officer, a feature on the site that I have not been able to live up to Steve's standards on updating them. When the former Army of Georgia (AoG) was folded into the ANV, Steve made short work adding in all the records into the ANV Charts and creating OBD's for the reassigned officers. Over the years he would issue almost every type of award, announcement, notice, report or promotion you could think of and with this all having been in Steve's trusted hands for such a long time, the tapestry of an archives he created & maintained, with over 1,000 files, is woven into the ANV & Club for the rest of our days as an organization. Because of this and his ability through every up & down the CSA had to stay the course, Steve has left an indelible mark on the Club.

When I was making changes to the Eastern Theater website years ago, I added in a photo of Walter H. Taylor to represent Steve on the page. We all probably know Taylor was Lee's most trusted & competent aide, keeping detailed records and acting as a "court of last resorts" in the post war era debates. Steve carried all these traits and over the years has been a little bit of a "court of last resorts" on issues in a few of the clubs.

Steve was a member of four clubs, ours, the former iNWC, the CCC & NWC. He joined all of them in either 2003 or 2004 and was an active member in the three around today right up until his passing. He played 297 games and had 15,065 points in all four clubs combined. In the former iNWC he would rise to the rank of Major General and serve as the Commander of the Anglo-Allied Army & the Allied Coalition Commander-in-Chief, serving on the Club Consul, which was a panel of 5 primary club administrators similar to our Cabinet here. In the CCC he would be known as Lieutenant General The Viscount Kitchen of Eutaw Springs, DSM and would eventually be the General Officer Commanding the Brigade of Guards. At the NWC, Field Marshal Steve Kitchen, 1st Earl of Halifax G.C.B. commanded the 3rd (King's Own) Regiment of Dragoons, 1st (Heavy) British Cavalry Brigade, Cavalry Corps in the Anglo-Allied Army (AAA) and held the honorary command of the 2nd Squadron, Royal Regiment of Horse Guards, Household Cavalry Brigade within the Guards.

Steve hailed from the UK, was born in the city of Bradford, West Yorkshire. He was a Yorkshireman through & through. Went to school in the nearby city of Halifax, which is how he chose his nobility title at the NWC. Like a true Yorkshireman, he let me know that no Lancastrian title would do! :D He was a lifelong fan of the Bradford City Football Club (soccer for us Americans). He also liked photography & was a big fan of trains. For a while the ANV had an address that started with lner2868. He pointed me to this page http://www.railalbum.co.uk/steam-locomo ... -b17-1.htm which Liner 2868 is for Bradford City. Earlier last month Steve passed peacefully at home. He was 55 years old. Notice in his local newspaper is viewable at: https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/ ... __Kitchen/

Steve was very personable & well liked by all those who played games or interacted with him in the different clubs. He had two primary opponents over the years Dave Miller and Lucas Kling. Together Steve played 120 games with them both. His OBD record with the ANV can be viewed here: http://www.wargame.ch/wc/acw/sub/ANV/an ... tchen.html

You'll Be Missed Steve, but we know you're at peace now!

Your Friends at the American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

- In a similar fashion to Dave Danner & Derald Riggs' buy-a-brick donation for John Dragan, a gift In Memory of Steve has been made and a brick for him should be placed next in November in the circle at Gettysburg.

Remembrance Posts for Steve have also been made in the other two clubs:

NWC - http://wargame.ch/board/nwc/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16585

CCC - http://wargame.ch/board/cc/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10141

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:17 pm 

<Salute>
My respects and my condolences.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:49 am 

I was not acquainted with Lieutenant General Steve Kitchen but his dedicated service to the club places him on my list of those I wish I knew better.

<Salute>

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:00 pm 

Steve, you have crossed over. Enjoy your rest under the shady trees.

<salute>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:07 pm 

A very touching tribute, Scott.

May he RIP.

I remember him from the old group.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:49 pm 

Salute and rest in peace sir

Army of Tennessee