American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Extreme War Gaming?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:20 am 

Every subject has its extremist, those who take thier love and passion for a particular subject and take it to a whole new level that those of us who don't share, say, "Isn't that taking it to extreme???" Thus the terminology.
What if war gaming were the same?
Understandably, there has to be boundaries set. No live powder charges or authentic kills. It goes without saying. But just how far would a war gamer be willing to go to get that "authentic feel"?
Examples:
1. The player sets his notification on his phone to a mail call for a bugle (I actually do have my email notifications from the club set to this exact sound ) and must leave his volume on at all times, especially at night, to simulate receiving orders at inconvenient hours (my mind went to General Meade being notified of his assuming of the command of the AOtP before Gettysburg). Imagine being in a nice, deep sleep only to have it shattered by a bugle call, or courier, telling you orders that have to be carried out immediately.
2. Somehow incorporate actual weather into scenarios you are in. Where I live in Ohio, we run the gauntlet of weather, from -16 in the winter to near 100's in the summer, much like some of you as well, I'm sure.
Put on a wool uniform and play Gettysburg outside in July. Wait until December and then play Fredericksburg...outside.
3. Actually limit yourself to a diet of hardtack and salted pork (maybe). You have to wonder after about a week of this, would hunger actually influence your command decisions?
3. Sleep outside in a canvas tent, shave with a straight edge, boil your own water, and live with any modern accoutrements at all...well...except your laptop and phone. You'll need those.
The list could go on indefinitely.
If you have ever read Anthony Hortwitz's Confederates In The Attic to know that even reenacting can be an "extreme" activity so you have to ask yourself, are you a farb or are you hardcore?

*Gents, this wasn't meant to be taken seriously at all. It hopefully gave you a quick chuckle or maybe started you thinking. One does have to wonder if there isn't a group that does this and more.*

2nd Corp

AoT
"Let's fill up our canteens, boys. Some of us will be in hell before nightfall and we'll need the water"

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Extreme War Gaming?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:26 pm 

Was in the USMC infantry in the 70's. Been there, done that, or close enough. No thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:05 pm 

Not even for a nice, generous helping of OBD points, General? :mrgreen:
All the ex military will probably say the same. Lol

2nd Corp

AoT
"Let's fill up our canteens, boys. Some of us will be in hell before nightfall and we'll need the water"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:31 pm 

I have to agree with the general!! Shaved with cold water, slept in the cold rain, I have been woke up in middle of the night, I have looked at my feet in amazement that they still work. That was all when I was much younger. Now, I prefer the couch!!! I do like to see a good reenactment, but that is as close as I wanna get in my middle years!! I really don’t see how the older gents did it, especially back then!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:57 pm 

I was in the Air Force...

While deployed, we had comfy beds, warm showers, heated (and Air Conditioned) Tents, three hot meals a day; Gosh it was TERRIBLE! No golf course or O'Club, how uncivilized... LOL

Josef Seidl, BGEN, CSA
Commanding Stuart's Cavalry (4th Div / I Corps)
ANV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:51 pm 

Josef Seidl wrote:
I was in the Air Force...

While deployed, we had comfy beds, warm showers, heated (and Air Conditioned) Tents, three hot meals a day; Gosh it was TERRIBLE! No golf course or O'Club, how uncivilized... LOL

Josef Seidl, BGEN, CSA
Commanding Stuart's Cavalry (4th Div / I Corps)
ANV

:mrgreen: Landed at Tan Son Nhut Air Force Base in 1968.(or 1969) We stayed there 2 days while plane was repaired. Sheets, pillows, running water, mattresses, normal toilets, air conditioner, actual plates and silverware, normal cups (NOT metal), cafeteria style dining, then back to reality!!!!

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:12 am 

USMC Grunt here as well. I am more of the mind to go to the extremes (but maybe not the full extremes here lol).

Quote:
1. The player sets his notification on his phone to a mail call for a bugle

Eh, kinda close, my ringtone is the Auburn fight song. War Eagle!

Quote:
2. Somehow incorporate actual weather into scenarios you are in.

I am in Florida, so its either hot or it is hot as hell. Strip down to shirtsleeves for me! When I did ACW reenacting as arty, this was quite typical. No way in hell I would be out in the Florida sun in full wool next to a metal tube with fire blasting out of it. Plus, arty are the hardest workers on the field anyways.

Quote:
3. Actually limit yourself to a diet of hardtack and salted pork (maybe).

Not by choice, but being a poor grad student (hopefully not much longer), I can upgrade to bacon and whole wheat bread.

Quote:
3. Sleep outside in a canvas tent, shave with a straight edge, boil your own water, and live with any modern accoutrements at all...well...except your laptop and phone.

Tents? More like poncho liner under the stars lol...I do use a double sided safety razor, so close enough. I also have a tea kettle, electric though because we have this newfangled electricity here in the swamps, be jealous!