American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:27 am 

Gentlemen <salute>

I have received a notice of resignation from UA CoA General Michael Dowling.

His notice states in part: It is with great regret that I must inform you of my decision/intent to step down from the position of Union Army CoA as soon as it can be arranged.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my tenure, but it is clear, that between the requirements placed on my time by my current employer and family, I have been unable to provide the leadership time this position demands and deserves.

Recently I have also seen that there have been several new leaders that have stepped forward to accept positions of responsibility within the Union Army Group. They have exhibited the energy, time commitment, and leadership qualities that are needed at this time with the apparent resurgence of interest in club membership.

I salute the step General Dowling is taking here based as it is with putting the interests of the ACWGC front and center. In the spirit of his notice, I wish to offer the opportunity of serving as the Interim UA CoA to UA Officers who have attained the rank of Major General who are interested in learning more about serving in a key Administrative Position in our Club. If you are interested in this opportunity, please email me directly at waltdortch@gmail.com by March 24, 2021.

The procedure we are following here is established by Club Rule 3.3.5.3 which states:

"If a CoA vacancy occurs—either through voluntary resignation or through removal by vote of the Cabinet—the Club President, with the confirmation of both of the appropriate Cabinet Secretaries for that military group, will appoint an interim replacement for the removed member to serve as Interim until a special election can be held. Once a special election is held, the term of the new CoA will last for two years from the date he takes office."

I estimate that the Interim CoA will serve in that capacity for up to 6 weeks while an election for General Dowling’s successor is organized and held.

With my best regards,

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:22 pm 

<SALUTE> to Gen. Dowling for putting his family and real life first above the Club. We all talk about how the Club is important but we all know it is secondary to so many real life things. I appreciate the time and service he has given to the Club.

Question: Walt, you seem to be advertising for an interim CoA. Is Michael's resignation effective at once or are you going to search for an interim first and then accept the resignation at that time? Just curious as the way it was worded made me wonder if we needed to find an interim while we searched for an interim :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:38 pm 

Blake wrote:
<SALUTE> to Gen. Dowling for putting his family and real life first above the Club. We all talk about how the Club is important but we all know it is secondary to so many real life things. I appreciate the time and service he has given to the Club.

Question: Walt, you seem to be advertising for an interim CoA. Is Michael's resignation effective at once or are you going to search for an interim first and then accept the resignation at that time? Just curious as the way it was worded made me wonder if we needed to find an interim while we searched for an interim :)

General Busybody!

First I certainly second your salute to "real life" first made to General Dowling. He has shown remarkable attentiveness to Club Business during the Covid year.

As to your questions to me.

You ask if am advertising for an interim CoA and the answer is yes, although I would characterize it as outreaching to newer members who are eligible to let me know if they are interested in joining the management team of the ACWGC. Walking the talk on that one.

I have taken Michaels resignation note on its words when he stated "I must inform you of my decision/intent to step down from the position of Union Army CoA as soon as it can be arranged." Meaning his resignation will be considered by him as final when he is advised an interim CoA has been appointed by me. Got to like that.

And you are quite right, it would be foolish to consider the need to consider appointing an interim while I outreach for interims but I wonder if you are suggesting there is a need to do so?

Last, and this may be what you are really getting at, is that as President I will not bring proposals for voting before the Cabinet unless all seats are taken, either by interims or elected members.

My best regards,

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:41 pm 

Thanks for the clarification! I was just making sure I understood it correctly is all.