American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Battlefield visits?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:29 am 

Pandemic provided, does anyone have any plans to visit any battlefields this year?
I'm really excited to take my daughters to Gettysburg for thier first visit.
Hoping to make it over to Antietam... ahem..."Sharpsburg" for you Grey Backs. :lol:

2nd Corp

AoT
"Let's fill up our canteens, boys. Some of us will be in hell before nightfall and we'll need the water"

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Battlefield visits?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:07 pm 

I will be at Shiloh. Once back in the fine state of Tennessee I plan to visit often and stay long.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:38 pm 

I have the privilege of living in the shadow of the Kennesaw Mountain. Spent some time the past couple of days reading Earl Hess' wonderful book on the battle and went for a nice little jog across some the Union assault grounds this evening. At the end of April, I'm going to be in Gettysburg at the dinky little Colton Motel. It's may be a little old, but its cheap, clean, and directly adjacent to the National Cemetery, walking distance to everything. Be sure to visit the Blue and the Grey and get nice brew and a burger named for one of the respective generals. They used to put a novelty yankee or confederate flag holding the sandwich together, depending on the general of your choice, of course.

Colonel Zach K. Marsh
3rd Brigade/Morgan's (3rd) Division/Forrest's Cavalry Corps
Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:12 am 

Colonel Marsh!
That is indeed a privilege!
Ive stayed at the Colton Hotel myself. As you said, it's cheap, clean, and I really enjoy being within walking distance of a lot of attractions in town... especially the bars! :D
Wishing you the best on your visit, sir.

2nd Corp

AoT
"Let's fill up our canteens, boys. Some of us will be in hell before nightfall and we'll need the water"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:14 am 

Colonel Blake, sir!
Shiloh and just about every other Civil War battlefield is on my list.

2nd Corp

AoT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:16 pm 

Esteemed Colleagues!

I live in Carlisle, PA... 45 minutes from Gettysburg and have had the honor of leading corporate, public, and military "Staff Rides" on the battlefield since 2007. I walked it, talkeed it, and re-fought it MANY times. It never gets old !!!

This year, I hope to spend several days going over the Western campaigns with two old friends from my War College days. Donelson, Henry, Shiloh... you know the drill.

If any one is headed to Gettysburg this year, I'd be pleased to accompany and contribute... or lead all together if you'd like.

Let me know.

United States Army

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:51 pm 

I unfortunately don't get back East much, but -- I am in the shadows of one of the ACW battles that was fought out this way, at Picacho Peak, just outside Tucson, AZ. Never been, but I hear they have at least had reenactments in the past. Not sure how much of a tour there is, either - from what I understand, it was a small cavalry engagement, total of < 30 casualties (I think).

If I ever get to head back east and tour the battlefields, I want to go back to Chickamauga and Chattanooga, go to Shiloh (I don't remember if I've ever been there), and (one day) make it to Sharpsburg. Been to Gettysburg, Petersburg. Would also love to go to Manassas Junction and Kennesaw Mtn.

18th Alabama Infantry
Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:20 am 

Very cool David, not sure if I have ever heard of the battle at Picacho Peak! 8)

Like others I hope to get to Chickamauga, Chattanooga, Shiloh, Kennesaw Mtn. and others out West. Only been to Franklin & Nashville and even then didn't have time to look at much in Franklin, though there isn't a lot to see, did go through McGavock Confederate Cemetery.

Manassas is a good field day! :) Been only once so far & it was even more than I anticipated. I knew it was big, but it is really appreciated on foot! Wilderness, Chancellorsville, Spotsylvania all good touring. Been a few years since I've been down that way though I know Spotsylvania has development growing around it as it becomes a bedroom community for Fredericksburg.

Antietam & Harpers Ferry are both obviously great touring as well. If you want an odd/interesting one, hit up Ball's Bluff! :mrgreen: 8)

Was just in the 'Burg yesterday.....rather busy with the return of tourists. Irish Brigade store is closing at the end of the month! Couple who owns it is retiring to Florida after 31 years. They still have some items in stock. O'Rorke's, Garryowen & Food 101 are our usual haunts but that's for lunch/dinner food. Normally don't have breakfast in Gettysburg. The Adams County Historical Society is in a capital campaign to build a great new facility down towards the First Day's battlefield. The observation towers are now all open, as is the PA Monument, which had a nice cleaning this year. Work continues on the Culp's Hill restoration. Also put in a plug for the usual shops The Antique Center of Gettysburg, For the Historian which is right next to Union Drummer Boy and of course the Horse Soldier. There's a number of others too. Mister Ed's Elephant Museum & Candy Emporium is always a treat! (Pun intended) He just passed away earlier this year, but family is still running the store. In Cashtown, which is a good stop, the Rock Top Book Shop & Bindery is there. I have yet to get into it, as it is recommended you call ahead to see when they'll be open. They do have a section at the Antique Center of Gettysburg.

Antietam we hike a lot at. Final Attack Trail is a good hike. Usually watch the sunset from the 16th Connecticut's monument.

Happy touring to all!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:55 am 

Picacho Pass was marked on the National Geographic Civil War map from back in the 1960's. Sometimes you can still find that map for sale at Civil War national park bookstores.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Picacho_Pass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:07 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:43 am 

The page previously mentioned apparently needs an update. The battle was in Arizona, they have part of the location marked as the Picacho Peak located in New Mexico. No wonder you never hear much about it - a grand total of no more than 15 casualties...

Reenactment is this weekend, I guess...said it's gotten so large that they have way more than 30 people, and they reenact multiple battles instead of just that one...

18th Alabama Infantry
Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:55 am 

DBMcWaters wrote:
The page previously mentioned apparently needs an update. The battle was in Arizona, they have part of the location marked as the Picacho Peak located in New Mexico. No wonder you never hear much about it - a grand total of no more than 15 casualties...

Reenactment is this weekend, I guess...said it's gotten so large that they have way more than 30 people, and they reenact multiple battles instead of just that one...

I think the location problem deals with what was considered New Mexico Territory and what was considered Arizona during the time of the battle. Apparently it was different for the Union and the Confederacy then.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:47 pm 

I think you will need to hurry if you want to see the battlefields with their current collection of monuments, statues and plaques. Things are beginning to move fast and looks like the ones at Gettysburg are the first target (see https://www.abc27.com/news/local/protesters-push-to-take-down-confederate-monuments-from-gettysburg/?fbclid=IwAR3YKw_oR7g8N2_ab5tzcvLM5J4PXveUX-RSeSO3BLIsYaqAH7ipgfuqaDs).

If one goes (and Gettysburg would be, by far, the most significant one in the public eye) they will all go and there will be no need for HR7608 to be enacted as law to see the complete demise of the lot.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:59 pm 

sigh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:14 am 

I am looking forward to getting back to Perryville this summer. I am in southern Indiana and it is only a couple of hours away. The battlefield is undeveloped from a civilization point of view. One can still walk the ground much as it was at the time of the battle. It is small enough that it makes for a great day hiking experience and large enough that you can look across the fields and hills and become immersed in the enormity of what occurred there as you move over the land.

That is the battlefield, great in it's own right! I would be remiss however if I did not also mention that Bardstown and Bourbon County is just a hop and skip away to the west! So if in the area then consider spending one day at Perryville and another visiting distilleries. :-)

Army of the Potomac