American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:09 pm 

Officers of the ACWGC!

On behalf of UMA Superintendent General Scott Eichelberger and VMI Commandant General Nick Kunz, it is my pleasure to announce the roll out of a combined UMA/VMI campus today. Please take a look at it https://www.acwgc.net/acwgccampus and let us know your thoughts. Be sure and check at the War Libraries while you are visiting https://www.acwgcwarlibrary.net/. A primary goal of this new site is to ensure that all new ACWGC members on both sides of our Club start out with the same level of basic tactical and technical training, while still giving them a side-specific Union or Confederate introduction to our Club. We believe this change will help new members start out -- as much as possible -- on a level playing field, while still allowing each side to develop their own (password protected) advanced training and War College.

Many thanks to Gen. Blake Strickler for devoting countless hours of his time and boundless creativity to make this a premier training site for all JTS Civil War games. Further, thank you to Nick Kunz, D.W. Mallory, and Blake Strickler for their willingness to make much of VMI's previously private manuals available to new Cadets, and Members, on both sides of the Club..

At this time, I wish also to thank General Joe Meyer (retired) and General Scott Ludwig for all their many years running the UMA and VMI sites.

A <SALUTE> to all!

And a Happy 4th of July to all!

General Walt Dortch
President, ACWGC

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:05 pm 

Sir
I just did a quick view of this site and found it very informative and will be giving it a more closer read. One correction that needs to be done is some of the illustrations are covering some of the paragraphs making them unreadable other than that it is a very good presentation.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:14 pm 

Looks like the Union has been given a huge gift by the Confederacy.

I can see nothing new there for members of the CSA side other than to have a number of things renamed (although a number of Confederate references/names have been cancelled some seemed to have escaped the censor's attention).

I think it would have been preferable for the campuses to have remained as separate entities as that would have been more in line with the philosophy of the Club. I am surprised that such a change was not put forward for members to comment upon before it was imposed upon us.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:18 pm 

Remember all of the "best stuff" remains locked up in the CSA War Library. The lessons and guides were already unlocked dating back a few months and open for all to see and use. Remember it is always in the best interest of the Club to help all new Members become as advanced as possible as quickly as possible. After graduating from VMI/UMA they are thrown to the wolves and some simply can never get over being slapped around the battlefield by a few Club veterans. Some will learn from their errors and stick around but others might get discouraged and leave. This new site takes more steps to aid new members by presenting them with more information, videos, and quizzes, to help them get over the huge learning curve members must get past when they join.

Ken Miller's recent updated User's Manual really does an excellent job of explaining the games mechanics. 95% of the info UMA/VMI share is contained within that manual as it is. While Ken did a phenomenal job his main purpose was to teach people how to play the game - not how to WIN the game. I think UMA and VMI will pivot more towards "how to win" as opposed to simply "how to play" in the future. That's where the War Libraries come into it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:13 pm 

Neat! A nice addition.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:33 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:55 am 

Quaama wrote:
Looks like the Union has been given a huge gift by the Confederacy.

I can see nothing new there for members of the CSA side other than to have a number of things renamed (although a number of Confederate references/names have been cancelled some seemed to have escaped the censor's attention).

I think it would have been preferable for the campuses to have remained as separate entities as that would have been more in line with the philosophy of the Club. I am surprised that such a change was not put forward for members to comment upon before it was imposed upon us.

Gen. Swanson, <salute>

Hi Paul!

You correct -- this is an absolute "gift" from the Rebs to the Yanks, courtesy of Gen. Strickler, with the full & generous agreement of Gen. Kunz. As stated, the goal is to bring both academies up to the same basic level in order to provide (as much as possible) an initial "even" playing field for all new club members as they start out. Given all the extra work that Blake had recently done at VMI, this was not the case before this rollout. We can look still at making further adjustments after getting everyone's thoughts, so nothing is final (in terms of being "imposed") at this point -- possibly including going back to two campuses (though we need to check with Blake about the feasibility of that). So thank you for giving us your thoughts and feedback!

Cheers,
Scott

UMA Superintendent 2020-2021
Union Cabinet Secretary 2020-2022

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:12 pm 

While this change seems indeed to be a major one and might have required to ask the membership, I have no doubts that the membership would have agreed to such a step.
There is no gain for all of us if new members of one side start with a worse level of training and by that possibly leave the club if they are not able to stand up against new officers from the other side.

Refining gameplay to work along the character of each side to win with it is still part of the respective side.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:45 pm 

Blake wrote:
After graduating from VMI/UMA they are thrown to the wolves and some simply can never get over being slapped around the battlefield by a few Club veterans.

Respectfully, suh, yore statement is not factual.

It is only tha Yankees afta graduatin' from tha UMA that are "thrown to the wolves" and "slapped around".

'xactly as it should be, General.

It's tha natural orda of things, suh!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:16 pm 

Denny Holt wrote:
Blake wrote:
After graduating from VMI/UMA they are thrown to the wolves and some simply can never get over being slapped around the battlefield by a few Club veterans.

Respectfully, suh, yore statement is not factual.

It is only tha Yankees afta graduatin' from tha UMA that are "thrown to the wolves" and "slapped around".

'xactly as it should be, General.

It's tha natural orda of things, suh!

Ha, how true.

I'm aware that a good number of this year's CSA recruits are doing well against those from the other side of higher rank. One in my division who was recruited this year has yet to record a loss (and only one Draw); Union officers ranked from Captain up to General have fallen to his sword.

First Corps

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:37 pm 

Them Yankee Generals ain't nuthin' but a lot a hot air, suh.

They talk a mighty big game in these here forums, but in combat they throw down their weapons jest as quick as they can and make off fer tha rear like a bunch a scart rabbits.

Yankees ain't nuthin', suh.

They jest ain't much a nuthin' at tall.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:47 am 

great job !

Army of the Cumberland

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:42 am 

Excellent work guys! 2 Thumbs up!!

Army of the Tennessee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:06 pm 

How do we get in to the new schools?

Maj. Gen. L.P. Smith
Division Commander - II Corps

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:52 pm 

L.P. Smith wrote:
How do we get in to the new schools?

Col. Smith -- go to the main club page, click on either the VMI or Union Military Academy link and it will take you directly to the joint training campus. You only need a password to access the Confederate War Library (which can obtained by CSA officers from the VMI Commandant) or the Union War Library (which can be obtained by USA officers from me).

Let us know if you have any difficulty accessing the material. Cheers.

UMA Superintendent 2020-2021
Union Cabinet Secretary 2020-2022