American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:06 pm 

Part Four is now posted on YouTube.

This battle just gets better and better. I know there is a bias towards "big" battles by a lot of people - and that's cool - but don't discount these small to medium scenarios as they are often as good or even better than the massive ones.

Watch this AAR for proof! More to come...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZmshwdmtYQ

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:08 pm 

Please do not read the 'spoiler' below until after you have watched the latest video installment.

At this stage of the battle I was still not worried about the centre. Technically, the CSA controlled it as it was flying our flag. We could see that the Union did not have many men close to the centre objective (and had yet to see Osterhaus). I was satisified that we had it covered as Pemberton (Todd) was gradually shifting in that direction as we had agreed. I also felt that the centre objective was also one that, due to its placement, was difficult to defend.
The BIG concern was on the Telegraph Road. Usually when there are large Union units they are of lower quality; you shoot them up and it's not too long before they run away. Quite a few units in Sherman's Corps were large and of high quality (the "Yankee Supermen). The Confederate force could not stop them because, even though the Union units were being shot up and disrupted, they rapidly undisrupted and came on again. The concern was that they would break through and move a unit to Edward's Station. Under the rules if any Union unit occupied Edwards' Station the game was immediately over with a Union Major Victory. I believe that if the Union had continued to press their attack they would have broken through to Edwards' Station. The CSA units in that sector were badly damaged with many fatigued and disrupted.
I was fortunate in having Todd as a partner because he could see what was happening and had sent a brigade to the east. Due to communication limitations Todd and I were unable to talk during the critical period when the Union could have broken the line on the Telegraph Road. That brigade was critical in 'plugging holes' at the time. When we could talk again Todd and I discussed what to do from that point, but you'll have to wait for the next episode to see what was discussed.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:07 pm 

I agree with Paul that Todd's initiative in this one was 100% awesome. Often in a MP game people will follow orders a little too closely for fear of rocking the boat and upsetting some higher plan. But occasionally you have to just give fresh orders and if the leader has a problem with it they can work it out later.

In a "normal" MP game where you have free communications all the time I suppose this sort of thing isn't really an issue. But in my games, with limited comms, you really have to be on your toes and watch out for your partners.