American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:24 pm 

Blake wrote:
Quaama wrote:
As I said above, "the ratings in the game are related to very specific things". In terms of those specific things Lee's ability and application never wavered. Consequently, he should have very high ratings for 'Leadership' and 'Command'.

But, Paul, in another thread you wrote, "The 'real' ratings must try to take account of what actually happened during the battle and not solely rely upon a unit's, or a leader's, previous reputation. The reasons why are too variable to list but a couple are illness or the leader simply 'having a bad day'. One example may be Lee at Gettysburg; believed to be suffering from a heart condition at the time and also didn't really seem to be operating at his usual high ability. I always thought that he was not 'at his best' due the absence of Stuart and was therefore tentative in his general approach."

Now, wait a cotton-picking minute here :mrgreen:

Just for fun and (literally) arguments sake - your idea of "having a bad day" for R E Lee equals a rating of "B" and "A".

Hell, he was rated lower on the Peninsula ("B" and "C") where he actually walked away with a strategic victory.

Was his performance then at Gettysburg equal to, worse, or better, than during the Seven Days? Remember Malvern Hill.

I love these silly debates of ours. What else would I spend 10 minutes a day doing?

In the other thread the ratings were predominantly to do with those for units and was an attempt to simulate 'surprise'. A difficult thing to do in a wargame where you have a bird's eye view and know, exactly, the numbers involved and generally where they are and when they arrive.

Lee's performance at Gettysburg: my reasons are similar to yours, being heart condition and the absence of Stuart. I'd also add 'being on unfamiliar ground' which is enhanced by the absence of Stuart but also because the maps available would be far from ideal (unlike those Jackson and Lee had in Virginia thanks to Hotchkiss [CSA maps in the west were also rudimentary, or non-existent]).

I'd contend that the ratings for Lee at Peninsula are also wrong.
Two ratings for each leader:
Command Rating - This rating is essentially used to determine if Disrupted units become un-Disrupted that turn; and
Leadership Rating - It is used to determine 'recovery from rout' and can include influence on subordinate leaders for the same thing.
In those two areas of ability and effect Lee is top of the class, at all times.
In the games we are Lee or Meade. We sometimes perform well and sometimes perform badly, and that should (all other things being equal) determine the outcome. [As you and I saw in a recent test game, once the first couple of moves have been made, we have departed from history - the outcome is in our hands.]

So, how to simulate that a leader is not at his best (or is performing better that he normally does) for whatever reason? I think the only thing that exists in these games to do that is 'Command Range'. Unfortunately, that a generic thing in the Parameter Data that applies to all leaders of that level of command rather than to individual leaders. A change to that aspect so it applied to individual leaders could effect how that particular counter (representing a real person) was performing at that time by inhibiting their overall control of the situation.
It's not an ideal thing but that's the only thing I can think of that exists in these games. Other games can simulate it better with one or more mechanics including: command range; number of orders that can be issued to units under their command; types of orders that can be issued; and presence of the enemy (e.g. threat zones). Those mechanics often include a chance element as well that can be dependent upon other variables.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:37 pm 

Karl McEntegart wrote:
Blake wrote:
Quaama wrote:
As I said above, "the ratings in the game are related to very specific things". In terms of those specific things Lee's ability and application never wavered. Consequently, he should have very high ratings for 'Leadership' and 'Command'.

But, Paul, in another thread you wrote, "The 'real' ratings must try to take account of what actually happened during the battle and not solely rely upon a unit's, or a leader's, previous reputation. The reasons why are too variable to list but a couple are illness or the leader simply 'having a bad day'. One example may be Lee at Gettysburg; believed to be suffering from a heart condition at the time and also didn't really seem to be operating at his usual high ability. I always thought that he was not 'at his best' due the absence of Stuart and was therefore tentative in his general approach."

Now, wait a cotton-picking minute here :mrgreen:

Just for fun and (literally) arguments sake - your idea of "having a bad day" for R E Lee equals a rating of "B" and "A".

Hell, he was rated lower on the Peninsula ("B" and "C") where he actually walked away with a strategic victory.

Was his performance then at Gettysburg equal to, worse, or better, than during the Seven Days? Remember Malvern Hill.

I love these silly debates of ours. What else would I spend 10 minutes a day doing?

Having followed this debate most closely, my only observation is..........I refuse to be drawn into it :roll: :lol: :lol:

That's no fun! [Have a go ya mug! (as we say here LOL)]

We were asked if Lee deserve a "B" or some other grade at Gettysburg?
I say he should be graded on his performance at the time based upon what those ratings actually represent. His ability to restore cohesion to units under his command and influence subordinates for same whether it be for some disruption or rout. Lee's abilities in those areas was golden, it can not be tarnished.
The fact that Lee made some poor decisions at that battle is neither here nor there in regard to those ratings because it is we (as Lee or Meade) who is making the decisions, for better or worse.

First Corps

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:41 pm 

Parting words, the war was the war, the games are the games and the ratings are the ratings, But Lee was, is and always will be.......Lee ! We have Alexander, Napoleon and Lee, Generals who stood above all others and rightly immortalised by history. I'm done !

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:08 pm 

Karl McEntegart wrote:
Parting words, the war was the war, the games are the games and the ratings are the ratings, But Lee was, is and always will be.......Lee ! We have Alexander, Napoleon and Lee, Generals who stood above all others and rightly immortalised by history. I'm done !

I could argue with your overly concise list but I will not. LOL

You have done your bit. Thank-you kindly.

First Corps

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:10 pm 

Quaama: Lee gets a B rating for Gettysburg? The man lost 28,000 men, failed in his strategic and tactical mission, and launched the most infamous assault in the Civil War. Lee is as overrated a general as there has ever been. Lee screwed up at Malvern Hill and did not learn from it. He repeated the same error at Gettysburg with the same result. Insanity?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:24 pm 

M. Johnson wrote:
Quaama: Lee gets a B rating for Gettysburg? The man lost 28,000 men, failed in his strategic and tactical mission, and launched the most infamous assault in the Civil War. Lee is as overrated a general as there has ever been. Lee screwed up at Malvern Hill and did not learn from it. He repeated the same error at Gettysburg with the same result. Insanity?

You're not listening. The rating for leaders in these games have nothing to do with performance during the battle, or before, or after it. As I said on page 1 if the rating was for performance at the battle "I would have no issue with Lee being a 'B'. I could even consider a 'C' being applied as it was far from being his best performance."

But, and it's a big BUT, the ratings for leaders represent specific things:
Command Rating - This rating is essentially used to determine if Disrupted units become un-Disrupted that turn; and
Leadership Rating - It is primarily used to determine 'recovery from rout'.

Those ratings have nothing at all to do with performance, NOT - A - THING. How the leaders perform during the wargame is entirely up to us, the wargamers.

As Ashdoll said earlier:
"the question is the lack of appropriate game mechanics. It is hard to say Command Ranking is a proper mechanic to show such a bad performance of generals like Lee in Gettysburg. The JTS/WDS doesn't have a good enough mechanic or doesn't have at least one mechanic to exactly describe the chaos of command and orders in the higher command chains. You can give Lee a "C". But, all in all, I feel his performance (his real fault) is irrelevant to the Command Ranking."

And indeed it is irrelevant because the Command rating is only used to feed into the Command Test, which may follow down to subordinate commanders which then determine the morale of the unit. While in command of the ANV General Lee never had a problem with keeping up the morale of the units, even right to the end.

First Corps

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:45 pm 

Quaama wrote:
The rating for leaders in these games have nothing to do with performance during the battle, or before, or after it.

What?

Quaama wrote:
I say he should be graded on his performance at the time based upon what those ratings actually represent.

Which is it? Pick a poor argument and at least stick to it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:34 am 

Quaama wrote:
The rating for leaders in these games have nothing to do with performance

Quaama wrote:
I say he should be graded on his performance

The explanation will be great on this. I logged in just to comment on this fun argument.

Lee is fine rated as he is at Gettysburg. But no higher and arguably lower.

AOTP wins 51/49 times. They ain't all that special.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:46 am 

Quaama wrote:
The rating for leaders in these games have nothing to do with performance during the battle, or before, or after it.

M. Johnson wrote:
What?

What I said is completely true. Probably best to read the User Manual (pp 46-49 has most of the information on leader ratings) as it will provide a detailed explanation for you, including:
"After all Leaders have been through the Command Test, the Leaders are then used to determine if Disrupted units become un-Disrupted that turn. [That's it, nothing to do with leader performance, although there's more on Command Tests on pp 44-45]; and
The Leadership rating "determines the extent the leader will be able to affect the Morale of the units under his command" [That's all it does, nothing to do with performance during the battle].

Quaama wrote:
I say he should be graded on his performance at the time based upon what those ratings actually represent.

M. Johnson wrote:
Which is it? Pick a poor argument and at least stick to it.

It is exactly what I said: "he should be graded on his performance at the time based upon what those ratings actually represent." The ratings are all to do with morale. That is what the "ratings actually represent" NOT battlefield performance/decisions at the time.
So, as the rating represent specific things (to do with morale), I can only repeat what I said back on Page 1:
"However, the ratings in the game are related to very specific things. In those things his performance remained untarnished - he is A (or higher, LOL). He never failed to 'rally the troops' or restore their good order right to the end."

First Corps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:56 am 

Tex McSwain wrote:
Quaama wrote:
The rating for leaders in these games have nothing to do with performance

Quaama wrote:
I say he should be graded on his performance

The explanation will be great on this. I logged in just to comment on this fun argument.

Lee is fine rated as he is at Gettysburg. But no higher and arguably lower.

AOTP wins 51/49 times. They ain't all that special.

And now you have it, LOL. Enjoy.

I think people are confusing leader ratings with leader performance at the battle. That's not what the ratings are in the WDS games. As Ash initially identified, the WDS games have a "lack of appropriate game mechanics" to represent a leader's performance at that time in history. As I said, to do that the games would need to introduce similar mechanisms to those used in other games including:
"command range [different ranges for different leaders]; number of orders that can be issued to units under their command; types of orders that can be issued; and presence of the enemy (e.g. threat zones). Those mechanics often include a chance element as well that can be dependent upon other variables."

First Corps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:45 am 

I'd love to keep arguing but I feel it is pointless.

We need a game designer to tell us how they determine ratings. Not you simply restating what the manual tells us they represent. Given that there are a large number of creators I doubt a consensus among them exists with rating determinations. Making our argument a moot point.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:09 am 

I suspect that each designer would have determined ratings differently based upon their own opinions flowing from their own knowledge. I'd be very surprised if there was consistency between the designers and the different titles.
Regardless of what rating they chose, or why they chose them, the ratings only affect one aspect of the games - morale.

Performance of individual leaders at the time is not simulated in the games. There is simply a "lack of appropriate game mechanics".

Performance of individual units at the time is simulated in the games as their quality rating is considered in different aspects of their performance (morale, firing, melees).
Whether or not the individual ratings for units is correct could be the source of endless debate. [I suspect in many cases the designers made a 'best guess'. Individually researching each unit and assessing their performance in particular battles would be a mammoth task; doing it properly for just one battle could be a lifetime of work.]

First Corps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:54 am 

I think we have established morale and rallying are the only things affected by leader ratings. All concede the point.

But I think the ratings are far more complex than simply, "could Lee rally his men and keep them organized?" If so, then yes, he is an "A" general. But so is McClellan. If that is the only criteria, I'd argue these two are equals.

The factors that determine ratings, as I interpret how they should be decided, are thus: (note that this is just my opinion and based on no documented instructions from WDS nor the User's Manual)
Command = Was this a good commander in the battle being represented? Did he effectively execute what he wanted to? Was he successful or not?
Leadership = Was he someone people would rally around? Did others follow his orders?

Therefore, at Antietam, Lee should be rated Double A's based on my criteria. McClellan should be rated a "C" and "B". McClellan was marginally successful but not completely. But he also failed to get Burnside to follow orders. Nonetheless, the men loved him. So Leadership, in this case, is a mixed bag. McClellan's popularity would cause me to give him a "B" despite the fact that Burnside sucked in this battle. If it weren't for Burnside's mess, I'd give him an "A" for leadership.

That's how I give out ratings to commanders. But that's just me. WDS does not give out instructions on how to determine these and so they are completely debatable. Everyone would give out ratings based on different personal opinions, so, as one of you said, it's all a moot point. You two may want to state how you would determine leader ratings. Are they different than mine?

lol, next time I ask a question I should put my criteria for how I rate people (in my opinion) in the question :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:50 pm 

Well, it was fun nonetheless. Thanks y’all!

CSA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:05 pm 

Here's my take.

It is appropriate to give Lee B command rating. That has nothing to do with the decisions he made during the battle

It has everything to do with his relationship with his corps commanders.

You will note that both Ewell and Hill have command ratings of D. That means the best command rating they can have in this battle is C.

This was their first battle under the direct supervision of Lee. Their previous battles had been under the direct supervision of Jackson, who had a very different command style.

I can't see Jackson saying "if practicable" after saying "Take that hill!"

If you recall, Jackson's first battles under the direct supervision of Lee were the Peninsula battles. His performance during that campaign is generally considered his worst during the war.

Once Jackson became accustomed to Lee's command style, his performance improved greatly.

Anyway, I think whoever assigned the command ratings of Lee and his corps commanders did a good job reflecting their relationship at Gettysburg.