American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:09 pm 

Gentlemen,

It has been Cabinet policy for sometime now to create clear blue water between our system of medals and awards and those of the real world. We want to be distinctive and unique to ourselves.

Accordingly, by unanimous vote in the Cabinet, the Legion of Merit is being retired. In its place, we proudly unveil the Washington Medal of Merit as the highest award the ACWGC can give to those who freely & generously, usually over a period of many many years, give their time, expertise, and enthusiasm so that the rest of us can more fully enjoy their time in our gaming club.

It therefore gives me great pleasure to announce that the remaining four Cabinet members have voted unanimously to make General Blake Strickler the very first ACWGC member to receive the Washington Medal of Merit. Congratulations Blake!

Technical issues currently prevent me from attaching the certificate, but I reproduce the citation here in full:

FOR OUTSTANDING SERVICE TO AMERICAN CIVIL WAR GAME CLUB AS GENERAL-IN-CHIEF, CONFEDERATE ARMY. IN
THIS ROLE, GEN STRICKLER HAS SELFLESSLY DEDICATED HIMSELF TO THE BETTERMENT OF THE CLUB THROUGH
PARTICIPATION IN CABINET, MANAGEMENT OF THE CONFEDERATE MILITARY GROUP, THE INNOVATIVE DESIGN OF
THE CLUB’S WEB PAGES, AND THE DEVELOPMENT AND EXECUTION OF CHALLENGING TOURNAMENTS. HIS DEDICATION
TO THE CLUB, SELFLESS VOLUNTEERISM, AND ENDURING DEVOTION TO EXCELLENCE HAVE ENHANCED THE IMAGE,
FUNCTIONING, AND COMPETITIVE SPIRIT OF THE AMERICAN CIVIL WAR GAME CLUB AND ARE AN EXAMPLE FOR
OTHER OFFICERS TO EMULATE. GEN STRICKLER’S SERVICE AND ACHIEVEMENTS BRING GREAT CREDIT TO HIM, THE
ARMY OF THE CONFEDERACY, AND THE AMERICAN CIVIL WAR GAME CLUB.

Like many other officers here, I have been privileged to play in a number of General Strickler's blind MP games, justly regarded as some of the most cutting edge gaming you can do with these WDS titles. To create these games, manage and umpire them, and then to create a compelling series of YouTube videos to showcase the ACWGC is just remarkable work and we are all in your debt, Blake. Well done and thank you, on behalf of the whole ACWGC.

<SALUTE>

ACWGC President 2022 - 2024

Marshall's Brigade 'The St Andrews Greys', 2nd (Gator Alley) Division, Stewart's Corps, Army of Tennessee

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:55 pm 

Thank you, sirs! I genuinely enjoy my time doing all these extra events and projects. Without the ACWGC to amuse me for a few hours a day I am sure I'd get more things done and the wife would nag me less. But, hey, everyone has to have a hobby, right? I also enjoy all the interactions with my fellow members and appreciate you guys participating in so many of my events.

FYI - In case anyone was wondering why we named it after George Washington, he was one of the few Americans that both northerners and southerners revered throughout the American Civil War as a national hero. Seemed appropriate.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:11 pm 

So well deserved! Congrats General Strickler, your contributions to the Club are highly significant. Thank you for what you do!

Army of Tennessee
Commanding

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:15 pm 

General Strickler <Salute>

Congratulations Sir, on receipt of the very appropriate award. I have nothing that may be added to Tom Marshall's fine post in recognition of the huge range of services and selfless dedication of the time and energy you have provided to the ACWGC. Well Done Sir.

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:05 am 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
General Stickler, Sir! <salute>

Blake, congratulations on being the first to be awarded the newest and highest medal of the ACWGC!.

You richly deserve it for all of your hard work and dedication, especially these past few years that have been filled with Club wide tournaments and lots of custom created scenarios!

Respectfully,

Your Obedient Servant,

General Nick Kunz
Commanding,
2nd Corps, AoT

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:51 am 

Brandy Station Review by Don Troiani

General Strickler, <Salute>

Blake,

A fine honor!! Your services to the Club have been a true gift for us all and has gone a long way to imporve & expand the experience.......and more improtantly the fun!!

It is only right that you be the first recipient of this most excellent award!!

Three cheers to the great leadership you give to the CSA & ACWGC all around!!! HUZZAAHHH!!! HUZZAAHHH!!! HUZZAAHHH!!!

I tip my hat and sword in your honor......and drinks are on me for the next 12 days!!!

Dixie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB-o5ACJhuc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:46 am 

I echo all of the above - IMHO, although there are a lot of guys that put in a ton of time for the club (and thanks to you guys also), the vote for the first winner of this award should not have even been close. Great job Blake and thanks for all you do for the ACGWC. It is surely a much better organization for having you in it! Thanks again!

(and if we ever have a "Martha Washington Legion of Merit" award, I hearby nominate Blake's wife for allowing him the time to do all he does for us. Here's to you Mrs. Strickler!) :D

http://wargame.ch/board/acwgc/download/ ... 519280.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:42 pm 

Hear, hear!

I second the sentiments. This could have gone to no more deserving a member than Blake.

My very best regards sir!!

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:42 pm 

Blake taught me alot about the games and how to play better. Unexpected given we are on different sides. Great attitude and spirit. If he were only on the Union side then he'd really be good guy LOL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:27 pm 

General Strickler,

It's hard to imagine anyone other than you as the first recipient. What you have given to the Club over the years is truly appreciated. There are and will be other deserving recipients, but you, Sir, top the list. <Salute>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:22 pm 

HEAR! HEAR!

And if I may humbly quote the great Winston Churchill, when he spoke in House of Commons in 1942 regarding General Erwin Rommel: "... may I say across the havoc of war, a great general."

You are truly one of a kind, in the very best sense, General Strickler!

HUZZAH !

United States Army