American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Campaign Games
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:39 pm 

My brother and I are playing Campaign Atlanta using the campaign style of play. I am very excited to discover that casualties carry over from one battle to the next. Does anyone know which games in the series campaign games carry over casualties? I know that Campaign Antietam does. I am hoping that Campaign Corinth does as well. Any assistance is appreciated.

Thank You

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Campaign Games
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:26 pm 

I regret to advise that the 'carry-over' does not occur in any of the campaigns. They are supposed to; the campaigns were a significant part of the games, that is why each title is named Campaign 'this or that'.

I asked JTS in late 2020 about gun captures and loss carryover in campaigns, I was advised:
"... Generally speaking losses will carry over between battles - and if the next battle is within a day or two fatigue can even carry over. Gun captures are not added to the OOB however. Some campaigns are simply a series of historical battles, but not with losses carrying over, as they might just be an "overview" of battles played during a campaign, but not with necessarily the same forces ... This will be noted in the beginning description of the campaign if it applies."
That's the way campaigns in the titles are supposed to work.

In June 2022 I advised WDS that losses were not carrying over in the campaigns (with specific reference to Jackson's Valley Campaign, 1862 in Campaign Shenandoah). They asked for game files to prove this and I provided them. An update was not planned for some time at that stage but the issue was noted.

In October 2022 I was advised by WDS that "the campaign loss issue is a top priority".

Although many changes have been made to the games since 2022 the carry-over issue has not been fixed. The campaigns are broken; you are essentially just playing a list of pre-determined scenarios.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

Post subject: Re: Campaign Games
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:29 pm 

I take it back.

Although I can't see any mention of the 'fix' in the Changelog, it appears the campaigns are now carrying over losses.

I tested it using Jackson's Valley Campaign, 1862 in Campaign Shenandoah against the AI. I made notes on the men remaining in the Stonewall Brigade to see what happened in the next scenario. Although First Kernstown was a massive victory for the CSA, 27 Va. suffered terribly. By the end of the battle their compliment of 170 men was reduced to a measly 16 men. I proceeded to the next scenario which happened to be '017 McDowell V2'. When the Stonewall Brigade entered they had 63 men. Normally in that scenario, 27 Va. starts with 170 men. So, although 27 Va. had got some reinforcements, they were still a very small regiment due to how they had suffered at Kernstown.

So, it appears the carry-over problem has been fixed although no mention seems to have been made about. That's really good news. Thank-you WDS.

So Dwain, I'm sorry about the misleading advice above. Based upon the old advice from JTS, unless the opening campaign blurb says something about losses not carrying over those losses should carry over. Enjoy your game.
I also had a quick look at one of the campaigns (Campaign Corinth) in Campaign Corinth and could see nothing in the opening blurb that mentioned that losses do not carry over so I would say that that one should be fine too. You will have to read the opening statements on any campaign you want to play to see what the situation is going to be regarding losses between the scenarios.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia