American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:35 pm 

When reinforcements arrive on the map, typically they are allowed a 5 hex leeway, and any opposing unit within that 5 hex range will be routed. If an opposing unit is actually on the hex that the reinforcement arrives on, I assume that the unit still just disappears. How can a player open a scenario and verify that the 5 hex leeway remains and is not 0 or 7 or 10 hexes in the scenario?

VMI Class of '00

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:52 am 

When last I checked, a unit on an arriving hex when the enemy shows up on it does disappear.

To find the protective halo around an entry hex - go into the the Scenario Editor and load the scenario. Then go to the Units drop-down menu and select Scheduled. Then find the time and arrival force you are curious about and highlight it, then click Modify. It will show you the "Protection" number for that entry point then. Be sure to hit Cancel so you don't change anything when done.

It's very rare to ever have a protective halo other than 5. Off the top of my head, only Pittsburg Landing at Shiloh has a 0 hex halo. I can't immediately name any other scenarios like that. They probably exist, but I can't think of them at present.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:40 pm 

WOW, that's Brilliant, it works too, thanks for sharing

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:12 am 

Yes, thanks for the info. I wish that they had included it in the PDT but I suppose that there are reasons why it isn't. I probably should also add that when we say that a unit disappears because it is on an opponent's entry hex when reinforcements are brought on board, they truly just disappear. There are no points awarded for their disappearance. It's like removing a unit from the map from a non-exit hex.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:40 am 

nsimms wrote:
Yes, thanks for the info. I wish that they had included it in the PDT but I suppose that there are reasons why it isn't. I probably should also add that when we say that a unit disappears because it is on an opponent's entry hex when reinforcements are brought on board, they truly just disappear. There are no points awarded for their disappearance. It's like removing a unit from the map from a non-exit hex.

Using the example of Shiloh, the Landing has no protective radius but Lew Wallace's arrival point does. Each arrival point can have a different protective halo setting in a game. I do agree the info should be more accessible though. Maybe in the actual game along with their arrival time and such in the Scheduled Dialog box.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:05 pm 

All good points above and agreed but, it is noted, I believe, in the CWB manual, that there is a 'halo' around an Entry Hex and which would indicate, at the very least, an element of caution, in sitting a unit on top of it :shock:

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.