American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:19 pm 

Blake wrote:
Quaama wrote:
That doesn't seem right. WDS said you should do a "clean install" for this version. In their Blog post, they said [my emphasis]:
"** A completely Clean Install is required to obtain this update. You can grab a new copy of the installers from your Store Account. Yes, even for the Demo - please do not get another copy from the Store as that issues a new serial number and also creates duplicate entries in your order history"; and
"So, these fresh installs will resolve all of those problems in one fell swoop. You uninstall your existing copy of the game using the built in Windows "App Management" feature in the Control Panel. You then do a clean install of the game and everything is in its proper place."

Surely, once you "uninstall your existing copy of the game" that will remove everything associated with that game, including game files. WDS has a paragraph on why this Clean Install is necessary and should occur in preference to the normal method for installing updates.

LOL don't shoot the messenger :)

I'm just repeating what I was told. I am sure someone here will try it and let us know one way or the other.

LOL, not firing at you; just into the air as a warning to all. If you do a Clean Install as recommended, the uninstall of your current game version will remove the lot, all files (at least remove it to the Recycle Bin).
As Karl said, "why risk it".

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:30 pm 

For what it is worth, I made a copy of my Antietam folder, installed 4.05, and was able to pull up an ongoing game with no problem. The game turn was created in 4.04.1.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:15 pm 

Reinstalling any of the games leaves behind your game files in the Saves folder. The game folder and the Saves folder would remain with your game files.

If you were to uninstall your game and then delete the game folder you would lose your club game files.

Its been that way since the dawn of JTS time.

The same holds true for custom scenarios. If you uninstall the game and then reinstall without deleting the folders then your scenarios will be in the Scenarios folder. Now if you had an older install that was done before the new folder system was begun well then your files would just need to be moved.

Its just the custom artwork files that get overwritten with an install. Game files and scenarios and custom PDT files are still ok.

Optional Rules I Use in WDS ACW Games:
(by column from left to right)
Column 1: All ON except for Man. Def. Fire; Column 2: All ON except for Alt Fixed Unit Rel.; Column 3: All ON except for Art.Capt. & Prop.Op.Fire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:48 pm 

I have a nice setup for game files for clubs. For each Club and era I have a folder with a Game Files Done and Game Files Sent folder in each along with the shortcuts to the game start .exe and Saved folders. As I do each turn I put the file my opponent sent me into the Done folder and the file I send my opponent into the Sent folder. I have been doing that for over 25 years. I have never lost a game file that way.

So for anyone that is afraid of losing game files: I suggest always using a set up like that.

Optional Rules I Use in WDS ACW Games:
(by column from left to right)
Column 1: All ON except for Man. Def. Fire; Column 2: All ON except for Alt Fixed Unit Rel.; Column 3: All ON except for Art.Capt. & Prop.Op.Fire