American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:03 am 

Well, let's see.

I work in Manufacturing up in the Pacific Northwest, building medical devices. Currently, I'm the Production Manager for Medtronic building heart defibrillators. My lines specifically build products for commercial areas (airports, schools, public buildings, etc.) and Emergency Medical Services (ambulance and police, mostly). Been here for 2 years now, and have been doing similar work at other companies for the past 10 years.

I'm also an officer (enlisted, made it up to E-7, got a Commission in 2002) in the US Navy Reserve, spent 6 years on Active Duty from 1989 - 1995 (submarines as a Nuclear Reactor Operator), and have been a Reserve member since then (Explosive Ordnance Disposal, then Communications), so 15 years of service in total, including a call-up after Sept. 11th for 6 months (nothing exciting, inspecting ships and piers in the Puget Sound shipping area).

My boargaming experience was Squad Leader mostly. Computer games are all over the map.

Married, with a 3 year old daughter, and a second child due any day now! -My proudest accomplishments![:)][^]

Lt. General Jeff Laub
I Corps, Fighting First
Army of the Potomac, USA
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/I_Corps/

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:30 pm 

I live in Marshfield, WI. I am a high school science teacher at Marshfield High School. I teach Astronomy, Meteorology, Chemistry and Biology. Although I teach science, I have always loved
history, particularly American military history. Although I never served in the military, history and the Civil War have always fascinated me. I remember making my parents take me to Shiloh and Gettysburg when I was a little kid!

In addition to teaching I also coach football (American), basketball and track. I am also working on my Masters in Astronomy. I have 2 grad classes (Astrobiology and Major Project: History of Astronomy) starting in early March. I should finish my Masters (my second one actually) in June. Wargaming is a past time of the over educated!

Col. Randy Hartwig
1/IX/AoO, USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:02 pm 

Gentlemen,

I'm a writer. Well, that's what I decided in high school back in the late 70's. In college, I studied Journalism. About half-way through, I started thinking about what I was going to do to make a living. The only thing I could think of doing with a Journalism degree was to be a newspaper reporter, and I was beginning to realize that wasn't exactly a lucrative career choice. I checked into the service--my Dad was career USAF, enlisted, and he encouraged me to check into the officer route. The Air Force wasn't hiring writers at the time, but they were interested in engineers and math majors.

I thought, "Maybe if I minor in math that will be enough . . ." Not a very bright thought, mind you, considering I hated math. In my first test of my first college-level math course I made a D. Fortunately, I was also taking "Intro to Data Processing" (a requirement for a Math minor), and absolutely loved it. I dropped the math course. Graduated with a degree in Mass Media/Writing, with a minor in Comp Sci. At that point (1979) companies were hiring as computer programmers anybody who could spell c-o-m-p-u-t-e-r and count to 16, so I stumbled into that career.

I'm no great shakes as a programmer, as it turns out (too much math-oriented thinking involved, I guess), but it has paid the bills and then some for over 25 years now. I really shine when it comes to documentation, though -- I found out that most computer programmers can't write worth a darn! [:)]

I've just celebrated my 25th wedding anniversary. We have one son, now a senior in college. He's going for a double major in -- you guessed it -- Computer Science and English. (Sometimes I think that boy NEVER listens to me!)

My start in wargaming was with Avalon Hill's Midway -- I thought the hidden movement was great. Picked up several other board war games over the years, especially anything related to the American Civil War. The Great Battles of the American Civil War series (by SPI, perhaps?) was fascinating, but I found all the hex-counting tedious. When I picked up the Talonsoft "Shiloh" game, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Then I found this club and it got even better.

Oh, and I'm a Baptist deacon. (Captain Lynn, I'll join you for a Sasparilla [:D]!)

Great post, General Turner!

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - Lieutenant General, First ('Grey Line') Corps, AotM
CCC - Corporal, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:21 pm 

I was born and raised in Tennessee, was an engineering major at the Univ of Tennessee for 2.5 years but graduated from Columbia in Business (my loyalty is all Orange and White). I'm retired U.S. Army (1989), worked for 3 years as a Construction Supervisor/Contract Administrator on multi-million dollar projects, and then gravitated back to the U.S. Army as a civilian in Alabama. I'm 57 years old, been married for 58 years (I told you that I didn't finish my engineering degree, so maybe it's been 37 years), no children but for the past 7 or 8 years there has been a mother-in-law with us that E-Bay continually refuses to accept.

I got started on AH Gettysburg seemingly in the 1950s, a game which started my interest in the ACW and which taught me to pay attention to detail. I never ventured out into the wargaming community too much, sticking to ACW and WWII board/computer games. I was primarily a solitary wargamer until January or February 2000 when I conducted internet searches for the thousandeth time and this ACWGC thingy showed up. It was a dream come true. I've had a ball since then and look forward to having a ball with it for a long time to come. This is the only wargame club that I belong to and marvel at how others can balance their head and time to include many clubs. I get confused just switching back and forth between HPS Gettysburg and BG games.

I'm not a preacher, nor a deacon, nor a Sunday School teacher, but I am a Christian who is no saint and has tried God's patience day after day after day but he's still sticking with me.

Wow! It's been almost 14 years since this was written so it is time for an update.

I am now 71. Still play a lot of ACW games but now generally keep 3 going instead of 7 (prefer the longer battles). Retired 9 years ago from Federal Civil Service due to my wife's failing health. She died in early 2016 after 3 miserable years following a leg amputation and a series of strokes (48+ years of marriage). Amazingly, thanks to God, all of my health problems just disappeared while I was my wife's caregiver. I remarried in 2017. As for the future, I want a nursing home with internet access because I intend to play ACW games until I can't figure out how to boot one up.

Col Ned Simms
3/2/VI/AoS
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.

Last edited by nsimms on Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:16 pm 

It looks like Don Golan is going to be looking me up to play a game so he can pick my brain apart....I am an instructor at a technical college......I teach body work and painting....Been teaching for four years now.....Before that I was an automotive journeyman for 28 years at a dealership........Yes, I have restored many vehicles from a 36 Packard to a 61 Rolls and everything in between as a hobby.......My present hobby is gardening and I growing berry plants......With the berries I make jelly......Plan one day to open a fruit and vegitable stand......My three children are over thirty so mainly the house is quiet.......Still have my Avalon Hill games in the closet.......When I saw Gettysburg being advertised in Civil War Times I purchased the game before I had a computer....When I started to go on line I accidently found the ACW and the rest is history.......

Maj. Gen John Dragan 2/II AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:31 pm 
I am a 911 Dispatcher for a Sheriffs department in northern california. I love taking the calls from the local crazies.We have our regulars and when my coworkers realize who it is they let me talk to them. I also get to tell cops where to go and when they pull you over all pissed at the world its problem because a dispatcher just gave them a crappy detail and they are trying to get out of it by going on a trafic stop and hopefully finding someone with a warrant.I also took a call from a police department from Canada a couple of weeks a ago and they do throw in a eh every now and then.
I was married for 15 years until my exwife thought she was gay and had to move on.It was at that tiime while i was living the broke life paying rent and a mortgage that i discovered HPS.I bought Normandy 44 first then Fulda Gap.I made a mistake trying to create a short cut for the game(i am not very computer smart),So i contacted HPS support and Rich told me aboout these clubs.Then i found out about the 5 for 3 deal and away i have gone on a crusade to play every title and every scenario there is.
I also have a 14 year old daughter and a 9 year old son.
Oh i was raised southern baptist.Went to church 2 times on sunday and on wensday night.Now is another matter.I just try to go when i can.

Lt Col Karcher ,Csa
5th Calvary Brigade
II Corps Army of Northern Virginia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:41 pm 

Born and raised in Maryland, Worked twenty something years in the home delivery bottled water industry, with a few years in-between with my own woodworking business and for the past few years have owned a screenprinting and embroidery business with my brother and his wife. We do a lot of the local sports leagues, school spritwear and apparel for businesses.
Started out playing the classic A.H. games, a lot of panzer blitz, after going to my first "HGMS Cold Wars" in 86' I got into miniatures, mostly ACW but some WWI air combat and Battletech.(like painting battlemech's and played a lot of the computer game)
Also around that time I was playing SSI's Gettysburg many an hour on a Commodore 64....that was a great game. Picked up BG Bull Run at the 135th Antietam reenactment, played against the A.I. till I got bored and then stumbled onto the ACWGC back in 02'.....now I spend much to much time playing on this infernal machine.[8]

<font color="blue"><b>Brig.Gen. R.A.Weir</b></font id="blue">
<font color="yellow">-- CALVERT LINE --</font id="yellow">
<b>First--III--AoA CSA</b>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:36 pm 

Born in Hawaii Navy brat, grew up in northern California. Spent twenty one years in the Navy Seabees, retired to North Carolina and work for a boiler service company. Travel through out North and South Carolina, Virigina and Georgia working on boilers. Been playing computer games since the mid 80's.
Capt. Gery Bastiani
4/2/II AotM
Hey Mr. Blackburn I use to live up in Greensboro,NC. but the company I work for, made me an offer to move to Wilmington,NC that I couldn't refuse.

USN Seabees - Can Do, Have Done, Did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:42 pm 

I'm a self-employed financial investor, carpenter, plumber, gardener, auto mechanic, painter and general handy man. Before I retired, I worked as an Engineering Manager for Lucent Technologies involved in the design and development of business communcations systems. We live in Ocean County, New Jersey.

I first became aware of Avalon Hill and its war games in the late 60's. After a few years it all went in the closet. When my sons' started getting interested in the fantasy games around 1980, I thought those old historical wargames would be a better choice, so they came out of the closet and that led to the discovery of what was new in the hobby. The journey has included historical miniatures, more boardgames, and the PC products starting with the SSI ACW games on a Commodore 64. So 5 PCs later, my oldest son manges a lumber yard and has no gaming interest, my youngest designs slot machines for a living and does little historical gaming, and I game in three clubs - ACW, Colonial, NWC.

Now with our first grandson, Grand Pa is hedging his bets for the next generation by painting some fantasy figures, just in case that historical war gaming gene didn't make it into the mix.

Lt Gen Bob Breen
Commanding 4th Bde, 2nd Div, VI Corps, AoS
"Where we lead, the Army follows" - VI Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:29 am 
I was born and raised in southern California, but spent many of my summers in the hills of Arkansas with my families, I loved being able to walk out in your back yard and hunt[:D]. A lot trivia details happened in my life that didn’t really pan out, but to make this quick. I was an art major in college, always into sports, spent two days in the Ram’s camp, one season in a semi pro baseball league in so cal, got a job at a commercial millwork company, they asked me if I could draw, told them yes but didn’t tell them it was naked ladies that I learn to draw, worked my way into the engineering department, after 14 years with that company it went under. Helped two buddies start another millwork company, after 14 years there I left to work for a much larger company, I worked my way through the engineering department to more of a Project Manager/ Engineer, but now I thinking of changing my whole career. Along the way I’ve gotten 6 children and two grandkids. I started playing in this club maybe 4 years ago, have meet a lot of great guys here, both Yanks & Rebels. These computer games are great fun but without the real history behind it and especially without the human factor they wouldn’t be worth the time..

Maj.Gen. Les Knight
**Corcoran's Legion** 2nd/VIII
Army of the Shenandoah USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:18 pm 
47 years old and still a big kid at heart. Married for 20 years next week with 2 kids 14 and 16. Work for the Government paying benefits (welfare). Started many moons ago fighting French Napolelonics against a friends Union army in a weird mixture of rules. Then moved on to games for my beloved Sinclair Spectrum (Arhnem + Desert Rats + Dr Peter Turcan's Dreadnaughts). Bought BBG Gettysburg when it first came out but soon lost interest with the AI. Stumbled across the club whilst surfing on night and never looked back! Was given a load of beatings/lessons by Marcus Remillion but did not pay enough attention. As a result am still seeking that first victory but what the hell. Given half a chance and a time machine I would be there marching out with Picketts corps on the 3rd July. Love the human opponent aspect of the games.

Away for the games it is proper motorcycles that take up my time. Here again I have a 16 year old project that still wreaks my wallet on a regular basis with a 1938 BSA. It's a damm good job that my better half Sylvia is understanding on my pasions.

So Gentlemen thanks to all that I have fought and those of you that I have yet to cross swords with. I may be an incompetant Lt Col but I will never give you an intentional easy time but enjoy this club so much that winning is not of paramount importance. HAVE FUN.

Lt Col G Howie
1/1/1 , AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:52 pm 
Well let's see where to start....

I was born, raised. and still live in Arkansas (GO HOGS)I am a purchasing supervisor for a hospital and have worked there for over 23 years. Married with a very active 2 year old, who can say on command...Go Hogs!!! My wife is from Louisana and I have taught my son, when she tells him to say Geaux Tigers, to say "Here kitty, kitty".

My first expierence with any form of a wargame was one of those games in the back of comic books. It consisted of a plastic map and plastic troops with the blow apart bridges that were held together with rubberbands...not a very realistic wargame, but it started me on my life long addiction to games. My first real game was an old SPI quad game of the 4 major Civil War battles, GB, ANT, SHI, and Chick. That was 1977. I still have that game as well as many Avalon Hills, Victory Games, their strategic ACW game is still a fun game, but especially all of the TSS games. The first computer I had for games was a 386 running Windows 3.1. Along way from today....

Lt. Bobby Adams
4th Bde, 4th Art., II Corps, AOA
"Southern Statesman"
"The battle for Southern independence will never end."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:07 pm 
I was born (1942)and raised in central Texas. My dad was a Methodist minister who enlisted as a chaplain and got himself killed by German artillery in Italy after surviving the North Africa campaign with the Texas 36th Division. My mom married a farmer and I remember about 6, deciding that I had to get back to the city. (Hillsboro, population 7,000)
Twice a volunteer for Viet Nam after a tour in Korea, went Special Forces and left the army after a spell as a team leader at Bad Toelz, Germany. I've got about 90 parachute jumps. Degreed in psychology at UT of TX at Austin with lots of hours in sciences, economics and languages. I sign(deaf), and speak, read and write German, French, and Spanish, and enough of about 6 or 7 others well enough to travel. I am a neurolinguistic programmer (master level) and have several years as a counselor of depressed cancer and HIV patients, as well as medical tech work at a research clinic. I also have a year at a chiropractic college.
Presently a research assistant to an MD following up long term survivors of the deadliest cancers; especially sarcomas, brain tumors, and pancreatic cancer. I get their diagnostic slides, their CT scans, MRIs, etc to verify that they had it, and find out what dietary supplements they took in a category called glyconeutraceuticals. By the way Dr Golen, would you be interested in several glioblastoma multiforme patients who are doing well after being diagnosed in the mid 1990s? Or anyone else with someone close to them who is failing... rossmcdaniel@sbcglobal.net There is an ocean of pain and suffering all around us, and I am glad to share the information that may ease some of it.
I always loved warfare games from interracial rock fights, (friendly really, and nobody ever got anything worse than a cut or abrasion) rubber guns (knotted tire tube strips fired from clothes pin stick guns), fighting bumble bees with paddles, as well as chess, checkers, and all the school sports. (We had to entertain ourselves out in the country. [:D])
I discovered Avalon Hill's "Stalingrad" board game, as a freshman just off the U of TX campus in 1960 and was hooked. Subscribed to S&T magazine for a year, and played multiplayer such as "World in Flames" by the Australian Design Group. I have a large variety of them, in boxes now, as my wife bought me a computer about 8 years ago, my stepson gave me a TalonSoft Antietam for Christmas, and I met Gen Dustin Arnold on a matchemup website who let me know that there was a club existing to play those games.
From being an atheist about late high school through all my adult life, and finally while I was working with terminal cancer and AIDS patients, (I had about 40 people die that I was working with during the late 80s and early 90s) I had some experiences that "moved me to a different level of understanding." Those who know about the "kundalini" (eastern tradition) or "The Annointing" (Christian)may have some idea of what I went through, cooking for about 6 months. Just like an orgasm, you must go through the experience to know what I am talking about, and it is probably unknown to you. I now occasionally teach meditations at a Unity Church, open to all faiths.
Col Ross McDaniel
2nd Div, III Corps, AoG

Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:12 pm 

Well I'm in the same trade as Gen. Barlow, sort of. I'm currently in Graduate School at a university in New York State in Library Science. I graduated Undergard with a Double Major in History and Media Study. I am currently working at one of the Universities 7 libraries and we have quite an old collection. German books written in Old Gothic German that date to the 1880's. We have two copies of the first edition of Grant's 1870's memoirs, the whole collection of the Civil War OR, and the whole collection of the Records of the War of Rebellion. It also has countless auto/biographies of many Generals and officers. All together there are about 1.5 million books and bound journals in my library alone and over 2 million in the whole school not counting the over 100-200 databases of endless information it subscribes to. The Univeristy Archives is quite amazing too, having the world largest and most complete collection of James Joyce books, records, letters etc, etc and countless other amazing stuff.

It's a lot of fun and I enjoy it. I came into these games in the computer age and never really had the patience for tabletop or boardgame styles of these types of games.

Oh and no I am not in New York City, far, far from it, been there once, don't care for it. It's not the only thing in New York State and no the state is not one big city....I have been asked all these things and more in the past. [:D]

<center>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com/"]<b>Colonel Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Commanding Officer
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/ACWGC/ANV"]Army of Northern Virginia
[/url]CSA

[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com/ACWGC/index.html"]Personal Command Tent[/url]

For the Glory of Virginia!!</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:03 am 
After years in the business world I took a chance and went back to school and added to my History degree with some education classes and now I am a second career High School Social Studies Teacher. I thought I'd get to just teach history-ha. This year my load had been Psychology, World Geography, and Economics, but I love it all the same if you can get by "will this be on a test Mr. Longstreet?"

I've also been working on my masters thesis: Commanders of the 1st Texas. Just resently I moved from the gulfcoast of Texas to Winston Salem, NC to be a little closer to research materials and to be where my doctors say is "better" for my migraine headaches.

I started playing wargames when my father picked up an AH Gettysburg 1961 after my brother and I played the crap out of risk. I started on the Internet playing a game called "squares", met George Kasnic, who in turn then told me about the ACWGC . . . which all then became my down fall.

Brig Gen John Longstreet
Gainesville Regulars Division
3/I/AoG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next