American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Moderated MP game
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:37 pm 

Due to real world problems of some players we are in need of a couple additional officers for the MP game I'm running. You can find more information at http://home.comcast.net/~krmiller8/mp2/ on the idea behind the game and the rules and mechanics of how it is done.

We currently need replacements for Gen Stuart and Gen Howard. Also later on there may be further openings on both sides so if I get more responses than needed now you will have first shot at any future openings. We are currently at the 1 PM turn of the first day and there has been only minor skirmishing to this point so there is no danger of you taking over a shot up command although Gen Stuart's cavalry are being used more as a scouting force than a combat command.

If you are interested please contact me direct as the actual players are in the dark as to who is who as all messages are handled through the moderator.

Lt.Gen.Ken Miller
Veteran's Divsion
VIII / AoS

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:06 pm 
KEN, MY NAME IS LARENZO R. BROWN. I JUST APPLIED FOR MEMBERSHIP TO THE CLUB A FEW DAYS AGO WITH THE CSA. I HAVE NOT YET ACTUALLY EVEN BEEN CONTACTED BY A VMI OFFICER YET BUT GEN PIERE D. SAYS IT IS IN PROCESS.
I ONLY HAVE CAMPAIGN GETTYSBURG. I WAS NOT NOT SURE WHAT GAME YOUR GAME REQUIRES. ONE REASON I JOINED THE CLUB WAS SPECIFICALLY TO TRY TO FIND MULTIPLAYER(HOPEFULLY PBEM NOT DIRECT INTERNET PLAY) GAMES BEING RUN AS CAMPAIGNS. I HAVE PARTICIPATED IN THOSE BEFORE WITH ACW AND NAPOLEONICS. THEY ARE MY FAVORITE GAME THING TO DO ALTHOUGH I STILL VERY MUCH ENJO BATTLES I REALLY DESIRE CAMPAIGNS THAT ARE STRATEGIC IN NATURE BUT THEN ARE RESOLVED TACTICALLY ERITHER BY A COMPUTER PROGRAM,BOARDGAME,OR HISTORICAL MINIATURES. YOUR GAME SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE WHAT I WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN. ALSO I AM IN THE PROCESS OF DESIGNING MY OWN CAMPAIGN GAME FOR ACW FOR GAMERS AND ALSO ONE FOR EDUCATIONAL GROUPS WHO DO NOT HAVE ALOT OF "GAMER EXPERIENCE(I DO NOT COUNT FPS,ARCADE,VIDEO GAMES AS BEING TRUE GAMER ACTIVITIES)" SO THAT THEY HAVE AN ALTYERNATIVE METHOD OF LEARNING HISTORY NOT JUST BOOK READING ALTHOUGHI STRONGLY ENCOURAGE THAT.
I KNOW IT MAY SEEM UNUSUAL FOR A BRAND NEW MEMBER TO JOIN A CAMAPIGN GAME BUT I THINK I COULD DO A GOOD JOB AND BE OF SERVICE TO THE GAME AND THE CLUB AT THE SAME TIME. IS THIS ONLY FOR CLUB MEMBERS AND WOULD WE GET CREDIT IN THE CLUB FOR PLAYING?
PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I AM VERY INTERESTED AND I WILL READ THE INFO ON THE GAME AFTER I SEND THIS TO YOU.
THANKS LARENZO R. BROWN
DUTY IS MINE, CONSEQUENCES ARE GOD'S.
ALWAYS CONFOUND,MYSTIFY,AND SURPRISE THE ENEMY <blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

DUTY IS MINE. CONSEQUENCES ARE GOD'S.
ALWAYS CONFOUND,MYSTIFY,AND SURPRISE THE ENEMY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:09 pm 

All-caps is really very hard to read. [B)]

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:43 am 

This is a very interesting way to play a game. I would encourage anyone interested to contact Ken.

Gen. Doug Burke
XX/AoC/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:51 am 

You do need a copy of HPS's Corinth to play this one.

And, does anyone really want to be Gen. Howard?[xx(]

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:24 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KWhitehead</i>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Not up to a little challenge, huh? [:0]

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:36 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KWhitehead</i>
<br />You do need a copy of HPS's Corinth to play this one.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

General Whitehead,

Personally, I like to improve over my historical counterpart. In that regard, playing a Howard would be much easier than playing a Lee. (Which should end all discussions about how 'easy' we Rebs have it in these games, right [:D] ?)

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - Lieutenant General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America
CCC - Corporal, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:38 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br />All-caps is really very hard to read. [B)]

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">i will note that gen walter.i normally don't use caps. i have very little experience posting as it is new to me. it looks confusing with the areas that says"quotes" and i am not sure where to enter the info. i am learning alot as i go and it is a good thing to learn although it makes me weary at times.

LARENZO R. BROWN
CSA CADET
DUTY IS MINE. CONSEQUENCES ARE GOD'S.
ALWAYS CONFOUND,MYSTIFY,AND SURPRISE THE ENEMY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:50 am 

Cadet Brown,

Don't be put off to much by the caps thing, its just something you should know about using the internet. According to internet etiquette (whoever makes up these rules?) caps in posts or emails is supposedly the equivalent of shouting[:0] and its hard to read[:D].

I was looking further through your post and you indicated you were planning to develop your own campaigns and scenarios so I thought I would give you some background on what can and can't be done. HPS in their 1.03 patch to Corinth and all their other games decided they didn't want us developing our own games so they looked some of the files. Corinth, version 1.01a, still allows you to change anything. That includes parameter files, maps, army composition, and campaigns. If you go to the Cartography Office from the main ACWGC site you will find many battles already developed for the Corinth engine. You can also develop your own battles, scenarios, and campaigns for this engine.

All other HPS games and Corinth 1.03 are locked so you can only edit the campaign branches and the scenario files. This means you can develop your own battles and campaigns they just must be based on the maps and army structures that came with the game. You can modify the parameters used in these games. This is the easiest approach to making your own games as long as you can live with the map and army restictions.

Developing a battle from scratch is a more difficult task. Particularly creating your own map. If you ever take this on you will need to contact those in the club who have done it to find out the best method of going about it.

And good luck on your project.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:45 am 

I agree with DW about the challenge of working with what you've got. I was assigned Howard in another MP (BG Gettysburg), and was quite pleased with how the men performed, though I still lost quite a few of them in a fighting retreat back to the fishhook. I think I managed to drive one of our opponents to distraction on the slopes of Culp's. The XI did its part in that one.

Hope we get some volunteers quick to take over these two commands. Otherwise, Ken will probably have them drifting across the map like powerless dreadnaughts, until they crash into something.

Lt. Gen. Matt Perrenod
<i>The Blue Ghost</i>
VIII Corps, Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:59 am 

Thanks to the players who filled in some of the blanks I left in my original post.

We have volunteers for Gen Howard and Gen Stuart. Although not needed we still have an opening for Gen Pleasanton if anyone is interested. Currently he would only have Buford's division to command but other yankee cavalry may be arriving later.

Lt.Gen.Ken Miller
Veteran's Divsion
VIII / AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:43 am 

Now for being <i>Pleasonton</i> I can see how one would hesitate. [:D]

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College