American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: exiting units...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:52 pm 

Good day, gentlemen,

Ok, here is the situation: Ozark Campaign, first battle, my Missouri State Militia boys are running everywhere, a general panic, run-for-your-life! The Union soldiers are coming from the north, and east, federal cavalry is running in the western portion of the map. Major Defeat assured unless a divine intervention. (*)

I don't like to play with the rules but this one need clarification.
The ACWGC rule said that a player suffers two shifts penalty in victory condition if some of his units exit from the map, right ? If a player already have a Major Defeat with no hope for redressing the situation, is he allowed to exit some units to limit the damage in prevision of the next battles of the campaign ? The two shifts penalty means nothing in that case.

(*) Dramatization, things are not so bad. I have a chance for a minor defeat but I want to clarify this rule as my opponents can be in a similar situation very soon.

Fld. Lt. Harold Lajoie 3/2/I/AoM, CSA.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:53 pm 

Unsurprisingly, this has been discussed before ...

http://www.wargame.ch/board/acw/topic.a ... IC_ID=5981

http://www.wargame.ch/board/acw/topic.a ... IC_ID=5737

In a campaign context I think you should always be allowed to exit units. If there is an exit hex, you must be allowed to. The whole idea of a campaign is to think about tomorrow.

Obviously, the old club rule was written with standalone battles in mind.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:28 pm 

Gen. Walter, Sir

Thank you for the links to the archives. I come to the conclusion that we should negociate this with our opponent. There is too many different opinions on this subject.

Fld. Lt. Harold Lajoie 3/2/I/AoM, CSA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:15 pm 

Definitely. An agreement is always the best way to make sure you don't need a rules lawyer afterwards.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:53 am 
Gen Walter is correct, an agreement beforehand is best. BUT, if it's a campaign and not a stand alone battle, no agreement is needed IMO. If you need to run to save your army for the next fight, then by all means RUN, RUN, RUN[B)].

If your opponent complains, end the campaign there (you've already lost the battle), you'll probably just have more disputes in the future[:)].

I believe the club rules were put in place to prevent people from achieving the points for a major victory, then withdrawing their army before the other side could strike back. Shiloh is an example.

Maj. Gen. Beno
Pickett's Division, I Corps, ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:54 am 
I ran into this sort of thing when playing a Franklin Campaign. My reb opponent was getting clobbered and could see no point in sticking around. As has been mentioned that rule was to prevent a situation such as Gettysburg where a player could take the whole map and disappear in the first night preventing the blue from having any chance in the coming two days - realistic, but not fair.
So in the Franklin battle I told my opponent, sure - pull off the map, as we'll be fighting again in the next battle.
So it is not breaking the intent of the rule and both sides shouldn't have a problem with it, but need to agree... BvB/Scott

BGen, 2/XIX/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:54 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Scott Schlitte</i>
<br />I ran into this sort of thing when playing a Franklin Campaign. My reb opponent was getting clobbered and could see no point in sticking around. As has been mentioned that rule was to prevent a situation such as Gettysburg where a player could take the whole map and disappear in the first night preventing the blue from having any chance in the coming two days - realistic, but not fair.
So in the Franklin battle I told my opponent, sure - pull off the map, as we'll be fighting again in the next battle.
So it is not breaking the intent of the rule and both sides shouldn't have a problem with it, but need to agree... BvB/Scott

BGen, 2/XIX/AoS
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

General Schlitte,

I'm glad you see it that way, too. In the current battle in our Peninsula campaign, you may feel free to exit the map (to the east, of course!) any time you like [:D] !

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - Lieutenant General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America
CCC - Sergeant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army