American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Win2000
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:50 am 
I recently reinstalled all the BG series and changed the versions as perscribed in VMI, however after installing the 32bit files for each the games won't run. I guessing that the BG series aren't supported by windows 2000. Is there anyone that knows of patches for these that would support windows 2000. If not then I have to scrub the all the games with the exception of BGC and Corinth. Which really limits my variety. I also noticed the new camapign series. I am unable to purchase them since I am over seas because the stores don't recognize my military address for shipping. Can anyone burn a copy of them for me and send them directly too me?

MG.Luerding

MG.Luerding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:23 am 

The games definitely run with W2K. I have all of them on a W2K machine and it works just fine. I don't know what exactly your problem could be, but it shouldn't be the OS.

For purchasing the games in Europe try www.duchet.com.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:21 am 
Sir,

Then maybe its something I'm doing wrong.. I updated the versions with the links provided at the cadet school. I then installed the 32.bit engine. When I start the game and go to help and check the version it reads 1.02 Would this be the correct reading for it.

Could you send me a test file for a game so that I can check to see if the game will open and work. I currently have Bull Run installed.

MG.Luerding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:36 am 

That doesn't sound right. The version number for a 32 bit install should start with 2.

I am sure you know this, but make sure that the patch file is *in* the appropriate game folder when you run it. And make sure it's the correct version for your game (US/UK). The patch must be installed correctly *before* the 32 bit versions will work.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:32 am 
Well I uninstalled all the games and just installed BGBR and was just working with that one. Installed the 102 version then followed up with the 32.bit Now maybe I'm not clicking on the correct exe file to start the game, but I start it by clicking on the two flags icon. the other icon which changes after the 32bit is installed tells me there is an error in the file link library..which just tells me that it cant execute from that icon. Yes I do have the correct location version being U.S. since the games were purchased U.S. when i was stationed at FT.Riley.

MG.Luerding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:06 am 

If things are installed correctly your game should come up version 2.02 and you should have the following files in your main BGBR folder:

BG_START.EXE This is the one that starts the game
BGR.EXE This is the battle executable, ~594 KB file
Inetwh32.dll This is the 32 bit support file, ~47 KB file

See if you have all these and double click on the "BG_START" to run the game.

These games are getting a bit more flaky with each new patch to Windows but generally they should run but I am seeing more eratic behavior than in the past. Windows XP gives you more flexibility with emulating older versions of Windows than Win2000. If you are still having problems send me your email address and I will send you the upgrade files I have for BGBR.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:35 am 
The below text is the error message after installing the latest update version and the 32bit engine. When I click to launch the game or going by special options the below message is what I get.

The procedure entry point??_U@YAPAXI@z could not be located in the dynamic link library MSVCRT.dll.

So I'm clueless now.

MG.Luerding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:37 am 

First, uninstall all the games for the BG series. Use the ADD/REMOVE process for this. Delete all game folders, then SEARCH for all the game INI files, like BGG.ini. In some cases, there could more than one BGG.INI (or the other games) on your computer. They will PROBABLY be in your system folder. REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER!

Now (I know this is time consuming, but it covers many errors that MIGHT happen), download all the updates and patches you need from only these two sources. For the BG patches: http://www.hc-llc.net/games/patches.html
For the 32 bit patches (INCLUDING the FRONT END UPGRADES):
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~tiller/html/program.html

Now you are ready to start.

Install game 1, using the TYPICAL method, try to load THAT game. COPY or move the appropriate PATCH and 32 bit upgrades to the main game folder. Run the latest patch. (Remember if you used a different drive other than "C", make the proper change before running the patch) Try to run the game now.

Now, apply the 32 bit upgrade by unzipping the BGG_dll.zip files into the main game folder. Apply the BGG_start.zip. TRY to run the program, if it doesn't work, REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER.

TRY to run the program.

Repeat the above for each game. You shouldn't have to reboot after applying the patches and upgrades. You COULD install all of them and then reboot and try to run them.

If BGC is working, then that is fine. IF NOT, there are TWO BGC files to download from the SDC site. One is for use with XP and might be needed, if you can't get it to work, apply the BGC_GW.ZIP and that might help.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
President, Colonial Campaigns Club
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:25 am 
Ok I followed your instructions to the letter and still didn't work. Went to the SDC site and down loaded the additional file and no luck there. So I think I'm a wash for all the games except Corinth and BGC. Well better something than nothing at all..LOL

MG.Luerding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:10 am 

Hmmmm. Ok, let's try something else. I haven't worked with Win2000, but I think it has some thing like WINXP. Here is sme more info:
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/43388/43388.html

http://www.activewin.com/tips/win2000/1/2000_tips_43.shtml
http://www.winxpcentral.com/windows2000/app-compatibility.php

These all say about the same thing.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
President, Colonial Campaigns Club
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:02 pm 

The error you are getting "missing MSVCRT.DLL" is a little odd since this is a Microsoft provided DLL. Check your SYSTEM32 folder and see if its there. If it is you may need to register it. If its missing you might go to the Microsoft support site and see if you can find it for downloading. Interestingly, the new HPS games all have their own copy. It may be part of DirectX.

Any way, first step is to make sure your Win2000 install has a copy. Then we can move on from there. Aren't you glad computers are easy to use.[:D]

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)