American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:17 pm 
i am playing campaign corinth as the csa in the historical davis bridge 43 turns. it has exit objective points for the csa. i think the victory points amount is flawed and wondered if anyone elso has noticed this.
i have checked how many points you get for exiting the 3 unit types for art,cav, and inf units. even if you hold all vp hexes(which is insignificant compared to what the victory conditions call for) and even if you inflict 3 times as many casualties on your opponent than what you suffer you need about 20 thousand troops to exit the map and you only start with a little over 12000 so it is mathmatically impossible to get the 12000 points it takes to get a major confederate victory.

Larenzo R. Brown Major 4th Bde/3rd "Virginia" Cavalry Division/Jackson's Corps/ANV
duty is mine.
consequences are God's.
ALWAYS CONFOUND,MYSTIFY,AND SURPRISE THE ENEMY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:14 am 
I've been through that scenario a few times, both as CSA and USA. It's basically a no win for the Rebs. I always figured that since to get to that scenario, if I remember correctly, the Rebs got beat back from Corinth the campaign is pretty much lost anyway. It's just a matter of getting the remnants of your army away in one piece. That is just my take on it. I've never actually played the scenario through to the bitter end. Once I figured out what the victory level will be, I'm quick to conceed as the Rebs and not waste my time. Again, just my opinion.

BG Ted Huffman
5/2/I/AoNV/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:03 am 
My experience matches what Ted has written below. I botched my assault on Corinth (and my opponent Atle Jennsen did a great job making sure I did). Davis Bridge appears to be the Hell we're sent to when that happens. I can't remember what turn we're on right now... maybe 20 or so, but the result is a forgone conclusion. I'm hanging in because Atle is a great opponent and I'll play even something that's unwinnable if I think there's something I might learn or practice. [B)]

Gen. Den McBride
ANV, C.S.A.
ACWGC Cabinet Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:43 am 

I also suspect the victory conditions are established for the scenario assuming the forces are at full strength. I'm currently in game 5 of a campaign and we are at Corinth and both forces started at around 50% -- I assume if we get to Davis Bridge it will more likely be down to 35-40% --- so if you were at 100% troop strength would you have enough points to get a Draw by exiting units?

Lt Gen Bob Breen
Commanding 4th Bde, 2nd Div, VI Corps, AoS
"Where we lead, the Army follows" - VI Corps

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:37 pm 
i forgot to mention that this battle of davis bridge is not part of a campaign but a standalone battle that we just picked becuase it looked interesting. as a standalone battle and not part of a campaign it seems that it should at least give the csa a mathmatical chance to get a major victory. i am probably going to hold all victory hexes, exit about 90% of my troops while inficting 2 or 3 to 1 casualties upon the union player and still will be lucky to get e minor victory.
comments would be appreciated.

Larenzo R. Brown Major 4th Bde/3rd "Virginia" Cavalry Division/Jackson's Corps/ANV
duty is mine.
consequences are God's.
ALWAYS CONFOUND,MYSTIFY,AND SURPRISE THE ENEMY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:19 am 

Actually one of my pet peeves is that major victories are all too common in these games -- often from either side in the same scenario. I would like to see victory conditions that make it harder to achieve, and would have no problem if "Draws" were the most likely out come. In fact a scenario that has about 65% of the "on field results" (ie not defaults) as Draws would get my attention as a possible "balanced" scenario.

But I would also agree a scenario that is "mathematically" biased toward one side is not a good one.

Since you've put effort into understanding the scoring, you might want to consider creating an alternative scenario with the editor, that balances things out. I think it is relatively easy to change the point vlaues of units and victory hexes.

Lt Gen Bob Breen
Commanding 4th Bde, 2nd Div, VI Corps, AoS
"Where we lead, the Army follows" - VI Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:57 am 

"I think it is relatively easy to change the point vlaues of units and victory hexes."

It is.

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!