American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:59 pm 
I am whipping up on Scott Schlitte (with Nutso advising him) at Belmont in the opening scenario of the full Shiloh campaign....there is a problem....The ONLY reason I am doing so is because of a TOTAL lack of defensive fire from his infantry (I guess that means I can't claim it is because of my absolutley brilliant Generalship)....He tells me that he has his AI set on maximum DF, yet not a single one of his infantry units has fired even once degfensively the entire scenario.....he is retreating at this point, so he retreats, then I pursue, they don't fire and then I do during my offensive fire stage phase....then we repeat the process .....(BTW my units fired just fine fer the most part back when I was on the defensive).....while I am getting a good deal from this arrangement, I don't think it is quite right.....his gunboats do fire defensively....but not his infantry.....Anybody have an idea what's up?
Regards, Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Division CO
Carroll's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:17 pm 
This most recent turn, my arty did fire defensively. And on my turn the rebel infantry did NOT fire back at me either. So now it seems neither side has rifles that work on the defense fire phase.

MajGen, 2/VIII/AoS
"Beer! It's not just for breakfast anymore!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:11 pm 

I have found that when advancing on a unit through the woods, defending units are more likely not going to fire. But that is not a game design feature, but rather a programing feature. But we did not encounter this type of problem in testing, so it might just be bad luck. The A/I fire that you mention only relates to the range that units will fire. He might try setting it to min range. But I don't think that will make a difference. I never touch that feature usually. I will do a little testing and see if John Tiller needs to address it.

Rich

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:15 pm 

Just an update,

I play tested the 002 scn and found that both sides were able to fire defensively. Also, I changed the DF range back and forth from Max to Min and back again and found no difference.

I'm afraid the unlucky side not firing is most likely, just that, unlucky. But the idea that the ADF doesn't fire often enough is, unfortunately, age old. The system has been tweaked to improve it effect, but only with moderation.

In short, everything seems to be working as programmed.

Rich W.

P.S. I'll be happy to play test this with either or both of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:40 am 

I too played Belmont and quit because my units stopped firing defensively in T4. The game was played in phases, so this is not about opportunity defensive fire. In the Federal defensive phase during the Reb turn, nothing at all happened. The Rebs *did* fire defensively.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:45 am 
Gary McClellan and I noticed the same problem in our campaign at Belmont, also played in phases. So as Gen. Walter pointed out, it is not an opportunity fire problem. I noticed on at least one or two occassions that my Rebs did not fire in the defensive phase upon Yank units right next to them in the woods, though the artillery did not have the same problem. Gary will have to refresh my memory, but I believe he had the same thing happen to a Yank unit or two as well…

Regards,
Col. Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><
Signal Corps, Assistant Editor

"The only accurate news is well researched history."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:44 am 

I don't see how a firing problem can be restricted to a single side. But I'll check it out. Would anyone care to playtest this problem with me? Send me a game file to richardw@multipro.com

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:54 am 
Our game is phased, and it does seem to happen to both sides defense fire phase, except arty fires normally.

MajGen, 2/VIII/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:48 am 

Can you printscreen your rules and place them here? I don't play phased games, but I tested it with Man Fire on with both Shiloh and Gettysburg, and got the same results. I also toggled the ADF on and off and still got the same result. So I'm not following what's going on.

Rich

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Scott Schlitte</i>
<br />Our game is phased, and it does seem to happen to both sides defense fire phase, except arty fires normally.

MajGen, 2/VIII/AoS
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:56 am 
Yep....Heck, I'll even send you a move or two....Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Division CO
Carroll's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:03 pm 

Guys,

I set up a game using the same settings and played it solo, I could not duplicate the problem. However, when I played Hanks file I lined up the units facing eachother and only one rebel unit would fire and no Union units. I sent John Tiller the files and info, so maybe he can come up with a better answer.

Rich

P.S. I'm going to keep testing.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jefferson H. Davis</i>
<br />Yep....Heck, I'll even send you a move or two....Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Division CO
Carroll's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:26 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Walker</i>
<br />Can you printscreen your rules and place them here?

Rich

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Scott Schlitte</i>
<br />Our game is phased, and it does seem to happen to both sides defense fire phase, except arty fires normally.

MajGen, 2/VIII/AoS

Rich,

Not having access to the file at the moment, I can tell you that we have ALL options on, phased play. We've since moved on to Logan's Crossroads and as of yet are still not in contact with each other on that field (there are Yankees on that map somewhere, aren't there???). If we notice the same problem in this or any other scenario, we'll let you know.

Regards,
Col. Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><
Signal Corps, Assistant Editor

"The only accurate news is well researched history."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:17 am 

The problem has been fixed. The update will be available soon.

Rich

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jefferson H. Davis</i>
<br />
I am whipping up on Scott Schlitte (with Nutso advising him) at Belmont in the opening scenario of the full Shiloh campaign....there is a problem....The ONLY reason I am doing so is because of a TOTAL lack of defensive fire from his infantry (I guess that means I can't claim it is because of my absolutley brilliant Generalship)....He tells me that he has his AI set on maximum DF, yet not a single one of his infantry units has fired even once degfensively the entire scenario.....he is retreating at this point, so he retreats, then I pursue, they don't fire and then I do during my offensive fire stage phase....then we repeat the process .....(BTW my units fired just fine fer the most part back when I was on the defensive).....while I am getting a good deal from this arrangement, I don't think it is quite right.....his gunboats do fire defensively....but not his infantry.....Anybody have an idea what's up?
Regards, Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Division CO
Carroll's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:34 am 
May we ask what caused it? Thanks, Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Division CO
Carroll's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:54 am 

Single unit orders were interfering with the AI processing.

Rich