American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Groan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:19 am 

The automated computer movement is terrible. I have to redo my campaign Getty movement because the computer can't stay on the road and has to march my cavalry right into a forest. Bang, disordered! With games this long and this complex it's too much to have to move each unit. In my CC game the computer moved a unit into the river at Fredricksburg and now I can't get them out. Yes TS is a bit simpler, but I think it's also a system that is friendlier to just sit down and play someone with. [:(!]

Major General Don Golen
1st Div/ V Corps/
Army of the Potomac, USA!
"The Bucktails"

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:50 am 

Don, I have to agree. I know that TS is the old engine, but I like it. HPS has made some nice engine improvements, but has not improved overall play. Each format has included each designers' nuances. Unfortunately, I think the designers have been from south of the MD line...

Lt. General Jeff Bangma
Commander, Army of the Potomac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:56 pm 

I am playing several HPS games and have finished many more and I have not had that problem, except when I mis-clicked and sent a mounted cav unit into the woods.

In games like the GB campaign, almost all my movement to contact is using the ALT, click method to move the columns of troops around, whether on roads or cross country.

Sometimes I do worry about a mis-click, especially with cavalry on roads through woods and usually still use the ALT-click movement, but do so ONE CLICK (one hex click) at a time and follow the road; doing so, the entire column of units follw on the road and have never deviated off the road.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:32 am 
In my experience, playing the AI is like fighting a demented child, who keeps making the same moves, regardless of the situation on the field. Nothing the designers have created compares to the challenge of fighting a 'live' opponent. Long live the ACWGC!!!

Carry On Gentlemen,

Formerly
Col. Charles S. Hayes
Copperheads Brigade
2nd Division
1st Corps
AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:48 am 

Actually the AI's path finding is relatively good but you do have to watch for things that might confuse it like winding roads and towns. Whenever I think it may be getting into an area that will cause it trouble, I "lead" the column through it by using Alt but only clicking one or just a few hexes ahead to force it to use the right path. What is obvious to use at just a glance at the map, is a major analysis problem for a computer. Which is why you haven't run into to many robots wandering the streets.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:56 am 

OK, OK, sorry guys I was pretty frustrated when I posted this. Next time I will wait a day. The other half of this story is, I had just finished moving my entire army, I went upstairs to get a soda and then I was gonna come back and double check that everyone had moved where I wanted them to, my daughter asked me to help her with some math homework she was doing and by the time I got back downstairs my wife had turned the game off and was reading her email so I was , in effect redoing the move a second time when I moved into the forest. As far as Bill's point, I try not to set too many club rules with my opponents, time has taught me that they tend to create more problems than they solve. The movement rule I use on myself is if I don't learn anything by the mystake , i.e, I don't run into my opponents by accident or discover something that will change my strategy by my mistake I will redo the movement. This movement was really not particularily critical to the game just to my need to "get it right". One of my pet peeves is when opponents are marching into my well placed traps, and then redoing their movements so that they magically knew that unit was there and show up in line instead. If I walk into someone's trap, that , obviously would be a situation where I have to take my lumps, and visa versa. Finally, I'm playing Kennon, the King of exploiting little mistakes, the guy is just plain killing me. lol,[:)]

Major General Don Golen
1st Div/ V Corps/
"The Bucktails"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:24 am 

Don!

Be <i>Very, very, VERY</i> tactful - else Ye'll end up with summit other than Yer games "minimised"!!!!

[B)] [xx(] [:o)] [:D]

Pat.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by HomerS</i>
<br />OK, OK, sorry guys I was pretty frustrated when I posted this. Next time I will wait a day. The other half of this story is, I had just finished moving my entire army, I went upstairs to get a soda and then I was gonna come back and double check that everyone had moved where I wanted them to, my daughter asked me to help her with some math homework she was doing and by the time I got back downstairs my wife had turned the game off and was reading her email so I was , in effect redoing the move a second time when I moved into the forest. As far as Bill's point, I try not to set too many club rules with my opponents, time has taught me that they tend to create more problems than they solve. The movement rule I use on myself is if I don't learn anything by the mystake , i.e, I don't run into my opponents by accident or discover something that will change my strategy by my mistake I will redo the movement. This movement was really not particularily critical to the game just to my need to "get it right". One of my pet peeves is when opponents are marching into my well placed traps, and then redoing their movements so that they magically knew that unit was there and show up in line instead. If I walk into someone's trap, that , obviously would be a situation where I have to take my lumps, and visa versa. Finally, I'm playing Kennon, the King of exploiting little mistakes, the guy is just plain killing me. lol,[:)]

Major General Don Golen
1st Div/ V Corps/
"The Bucktails"

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

General Golen,

Sounds as if you need to have a little talk with your wife about the use of the 'minimize' button -- but make sure you do it <i>tactfully </i>or you're apt to have all your games turned off [:D]!

I agree with you about not redoing moves. Actually, however, if you move somewhere and do not run into enemy troops you have, in effect, still 'scouted' the area and learned something (namely, that the enemy is not there). The only time I retake a move is when my machine crashes before I finish -- which it did Friday night, after about two hours of painstakingly moving up on General Schlitte in a Penninsula campaign [:(!] ! (I had Yankee death on my mind. Instead, I got the 'blue screen of death' myself [V] .) I decided I had had enough for that night. After restarting my machine, I called it a night and went to bed. I still let him know about the re-do, and tried to make all the same moves I had the first time.

To your original question, though, in all fairness to HPS, I experienced the same pathing problem in Talonsoft games.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Sergeant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:40 pm 

Ha Ha! Why do you think I posted here! My wife and Larry's moose are the only two things in this world that truly scare the crap out of me. I do NOT mess with her.[:D]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmallory</i>
<br />Don!

Be <i>Very, very, VERY</i> tactful - else Ye'll end up with summit other than Yer games "minimised"!!!!

[B)] [xx(] [:o)] [:D]

Pat.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by HomerS</i>
<br />OK, OK, sorry guys I was pretty frustrated when I posted this. Next time I will wait a day. The other half of this story is, I had just finished moving my entire army, I went upstairs to get a soda and then I was gonna come back and double check that everyone had moved where I wanted them to, my daughter asked me to help her with some math homework she was doing and by the time I got back downstairs my wife had turned the game off and was reading her email so I was , in effect redoing the move a second time when I moved into the forest. As far as Bill's point, I try not to set too many club rules with my opponents, time has taught me that they tend to create more problems than they solve. The movement rule I use on myself is if I don't learn anything by the mystake , i.e, I don't run into my opponents by accident or discover something that will change my strategy by my mistake I will redo the movement. This movement was really not particularily critical to the game just to my need to "get it right". One of my pet peeves is when opponents are marching into my well placed traps, and then redoing their movements so that they magically knew that unit was there and show up in line instead. If I walk into someone's trap, that , obviously would be a situation where I have to take my lumps, and visa versa. Finally, I'm playing Kennon, the King of exploiting little mistakes, the guy is just plain killing me. lol,[:)]

Major General Don Golen
1st Div/ V Corps/
"The Bucktails"

General Golen,

Sounds as if you need to have a little talk with your wife about the use of the 'minimize' button -- but make sure you do it <i>tactfully </i>or you're apt to have all your games turned off [:D]!

I agree with you about not redoing moves. Actually, however, if you move somewhere and do not run into enemy troops you have, in effect, still 'scouted' the area and learned something (namely, that the enemy is not there). The only time I retake a move is when my machine crashes before I finish -- which it did Friday night, after about two hours of painstakingly moving up on General Schlitte in a Penninsula campaign [:(!] ! (I had Yankee death on my mind. Instead, I got the 'blue screen of death' myself [V] .) I decided I had had enough for that night. After restarting my machine, I called it a night and went to bed. I still let him know about the re-do, and tried to make all the same moves I had the first time.

To your original question, though, in all fairness to HPS, I experienced the same pathing problem in Talonsoft games.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Sergeant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Major General Don Golen
1st Div/ V Corps/
"The Bucktails"