American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HPS vs Talonsoft
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:03 pm 
Gents,
'Been playing BGG since released. Real quick (if possible): How is HPS version different from the Talonsoft originals? Better or worse? I know there is a strategic mode or something that can change the battlefield time and place. I'm sure there's a post here somewhere, but can't find one...

V2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:11 pm 
Sir

Are you a club member? Name and unit if you please.

Regardless, check the archives and you will find this has been discussed in various ways and in great detail multiple times.

It is more than a strategic phase, the game is a campaign which typically will result in 3 or more seperate battles, none of which need be at Gettysburg. In fact I believe the various combinations result in over 200 possible battles, with casualties carried over to the next battle.

As to 'better', as you will discover there are strengths and weaknesses to each, and the one you call better will be something of a matter of taste.

Lt Gen Mike Kaulbars Image
3rd "Freiheit" Division
VIII/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:27 pm 
I just joined the Union Army, and am awaiting details. Thanks for the scoop - I'll keep looking.

V2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:54 pm 

V2,

As General Kaulbars points out, one of the interesting twists of the HPS games is the ability to play campaigns -- combinations of individual battles that encourage more historical shepherding of forces and less fight-to-the-last-man type of tactics that can come into play in stand-alone scenarios. Even fatigue can carry over between battles, so it is important to keep men rested.

That said, it is possible to play any of the scenarios in the HPS game stand-alone -- and there are many of them to choose from. There are many versions of the individual battles from the campaign, plus scenarios that play no part in any of the campaigns and can only be played stand-alone.

Another basic difference is that casualties are taken in 1-man increments instead of 25-man blasts. It is still possible to get a 'No effects' result from firing, but you're just as apt to get 2 or 3 men taken out. Fatigue is figured on a basis of 100 points instead of 10, so there is much more variation in this as well. Supply wagons carry several hundred rounds of ammo instead of just (up to) 10.

There are different settings you can use. One emulates the Talonsoft style of play, so if you like that style you can continue with it. Another allows auto defensive fire against moving targets <i>while they move</i>. Both styles have their advantages and their disadvantages, and their proponents. You can find those who will only play one way or the other, and others who will play whichever you prefer.

Bridges can be more of a factor in many of the HPS scenarios as well. Bridges across large bodies of water are assigned strength values and can be destroyed. With upgrade patches available in some of the games (not Gettysburg, at least not yet), the kinds of units a bridge can carry depends on the relative strength of the bridge and partially destroyed bridges can be rebuilt. Some units are even equipped with boats and can cross bodies of water on their own for amphibious landings.

I'm sure I'm overlooking many of the details (and probably even some other major points), but I hope I've whetted your appetite enough that you'll want to pick up at least one of the HPS games and check it out.

And welcome to the club (even if you did choose the wrong side [:)] !).

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Ensign, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:29 am 

V2,

Glad to have you aboard, drop me a note if you need anything.

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Profile Send private message