American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:12 pm 
Gentlemen,
This must have been addressed by now, but I've been frequently out of touch over the past year. I installed the various HPS titles on my parents' computer while a guest at their home, and then removed them upon departing. And now I can't re-install them. Is this a protection feature to prevent the use of multiple versions? Is there a way around it?
Thanks & salute!
GEN Gene Nix, 2/I/AotM
Boggy Creek Swamp Rats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:23 pm 

Um.... nope, and I've uninstalled/reinstalled on more than one occasion.

Only thing I can think of is this... are you installing from a different drive? (ie, is the CD now E as opposed to D)

Major General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:05 pm 

It is possible that they were not completely uninstalled.

Do the titles still show up in the ADD/Remove dialog?

Or, are the folders for the games still on the computer?

If that is the case, try deleting ONE game folder, then try to install THAT game. If it installs, then delete the remaining old installs.

Otherwise, you might need to delete the references that MIGHT remain in the registry, for the HPS games.

I would check the other options, before tackling the registry.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:31 am 

Gene,

The most likely problem is that the registry wasn't cleaned upon the uninstall, or the game folders were just deleted.

This will be a multi-step process. First off, you need to go in and clean the registry of any reference to the game in question. So go to the Start button, then choose "Run". In the box type regedit and then click ok. Once in the registry editor go to the "Edit" menu and choose "Find". In the subsequent box type Corinth (Or which ever game it is) and then click find. Delete any keys you find with reference to the game.

Once done reboot the machine. When it has restarted and settled out go through and make sure all other programs are stopped. That includes all the little icons down in the task bar next to the clock on the lower right. Right clicking on each and saying "close" or "exit" should terminate them.

Then, insert the CD again. If the registry was cleaned completely the Auto-Run will begin and the install will proceed. If by some chance it doesn't and you're sure the registry is clean, go into the cd, and then to the "Campaign Corinth" directory. You will find a setup.exe file in there. Double clicking this should run it.

If all that fails drop me a line at SUpport@hpssims.com and we'll see what we can do.

Regards,
Rich

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:06 pm 
Rich,
Your advice cracked the code, and thanks much. I had conducted the standard un-installations and deleted the file folders, but the Control Panel's un-installer kept showing remnants which could not be removed, and which apparently prevented re-installation. Got it done, following your steps.[8D]

Salute!
GEN Gene Nix, 2/I/AotM
Boggy Creek Swamp Rats