American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:17 am 

<b>I want you to keep it hot! I don't want to see a single gun silent! </b>

Alexander and Longstreet at Gettysburg
July 3, 1863
Image Size: 17 1/2" x 29 1/2".
Overall Size: 23" x 33 1/2".
1250 Limited Edition Numbered and Signed.
100 Artist Proofs Numbered and Signed.

Colonel Edward Porter understood the awesome task that lay before him. A tall, lanky 28 year old officer, Alexander was in charge of the Confederate I Corp artillery. Officially, Alexander was just a battalion commander, but General James Longstreet had moved him to field command of his artillery. This was the third day of battle at Gettysburg. Following a season of victories, General Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia had taken the war to the North, marching in to Pennsylvania and dealing the Federal Army of the Potomac a staggering defeat on Gettysburg's first day. On day two, however, the men in blue - who defended strong positions on Cemetery Ridge - had turned back Confederate assaults on both flanks of the Federal line. Now Lee planned to pour everything into a mighty strike against the enemy's center. To precede the Southern infantry assault, he had directed Longstreet to unleash a massive artillery barrage against the Federal Line.

To execute the unprecedented bombardment, Longstreet turned to Alexander. Artillery crews from more than 150 guns would follow Alexander's lead - opening fire at the sound of two signal guns. After a sustained pounding of the Federal position on Cemetery Ridge, the guns would cease fire and the heart of Lee's army would go forth to break the Federal line and defeat the enemy. At approximately one o'clock, Alexander would launch the barrage. It would be the greatest field artillery bombardment of the war. "The ground fairly shook beneath the feet of the assembled armies from the terrible conclusion," a Confederate would report. "The skies were clouded with smoke, the air was filled with shrieking shot and shell until it seemed as though hell itself had broken loose."

It would not be enough. Despite Alexander's best efforts and the massive amount of Southern shot and steel hurled at the Cemetery Ridge, the Federal line would hold and Pickett's Charge would fail. Lee's greatest assault would become his greatest failure, and the course of the war would be thereafter set against the South. However, as Alexander and Longstreet watched the Confederate guns wheel into position, the fate of the South still remained cloaked by the future. The mighty bombardment and the great assault still lay ahead - and the quest for Southern independence still seemed within the grasp of Lee's legions.

Artist's Comments:

Searching for an idea for a painting is always a difficult task and they always come about in different ways. In the case of Forming the Line, I was looking for an artillery subject because I had not done one in a number of years. The one thing that I wanted to avoid was the repetition of a work that had been done by me or by another artist. Most paintings depict the guns firing because the smoke and flames are so dramatic. Equally dramatic, I think, is the act of forming the line, when the artillery is rolled in to place, unlimbered and set up. This was especially so on the third day at Gettysburg, when Confederates were preparing for the greatest field artillery barrage in American history at that time.

In Forming the Line, we see Colonel Edward Porter Alexander and General James Longstreet overseeing the confederate artillery. Alexander, Longstreet's young chief of artillery, uses binoculars to study the distant enemy line on Cemetery Ridge, while Longstreet waits for the gifted artillerist's observations. Around them is a swirl of activity as the guns are wheeled into place.

In composing the picture, I began to realize that I could show every phase of placing the guns in line. My sincere appreciation goes to Lt. Col. David Stanley, an expert on horse drawn artillery who I met in Raleigh N.C. He was invaluable help in my understanding the complete operation needed to compose this picture including maneuvers, the positioning of the men, the harnesses, etc.

In the extreme right foreground, we see a bronze Napoleon, unlimbered, the handspike in place. Near the middle of the picture, directly behind Longstreet, the crew of another Napoleon works at putting it into firing order. Farther back behind the staff officers, another crew works on their gun that has been just unlimbered, as the horse team is seen to the extreme left of the painting, riding right to left, as they pull their caisson to the rear. The teams in the extreme left background moving left to right are bringing up their guns to set into line.

It is the early morning of July 3. The artillery crews have worked all night positioning the guns and are almost finished with their preparation. In a few hours, a massive Confederate artillery barrage will launch the most famous infantry assault of the Civil War: Pickett's Charge.</center>

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<b>Major General Scott "The Mad Prussian" Ludwig</b>
Commanding Officer, Western Theater, CSA
Interim Chief of Staff, CSA
"The Army Commissary" and "The Traveling Blowhard of Virginia"
Retried ANV Commander 2004-06

http://www.networkforgood.org

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - 1NWCG[/url]</center>

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:45 am 

General Ludwig,

I realize you probably just copied this script from somewhere so you aren't responsible for their goofs, but it took me quite a while to figure out that the "Colonel Edward Porter" mentioned in the first sentence was the same man as the "Alexander" mentioned in most of the rest of the article.

Apparently the author inadvertently omitted Alexander's last name from the first sentence. It was not until the fifth paragraph that the mistake was corrected (and I only discovered that by using the 'Find' option to try and figure out who this "Porter" fellow was [:)] !)

Thanks for sharing. These are interesting paintings.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Ensign, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:13 pm 

If you wish to take it up, email the artist -

Mort Kunstler. [:p]

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - 1NWCG[/url]</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:06 pm 

In an excellent book: "Fighting for the Confederacy" subtitled "The Personal Recollections of General Edward Porter Alexander" edited by Gary W. Gallagher- University of North Carolina Press-1989-isbn-0-8078-4722-4.

Of Picketts Charge, Alexander states: At 1:25 PM in a note to Picket: "If you are coming at all you must come at once, or I cannot give you proper support."

At 1:35 PM, Alexander sent to Pickett: "For God's sake come quick. The 18 guns are gone (note Federal guns on Cemetary Hill). Come quick or I can't support you."

The Confererate artillery was running out of ammunition and at about 1:50 PM, Pickett began his charge.

(Edward Porter Alexander. May 26, 1835 - April 28, 1910)

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:42 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:53 pm 

Yes, he out thought Alexander and conserved his ammo for the actual charge of Pickett.

ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:12 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">he out thought Alexander and conserved his ammo for the actual charge of Pickett.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

More accurate to say that Hunt "out thought" Longstreet. Alexander was just following orders to "keep it hot...", and doing everything he could to alert his commanders of the situation with the ammo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:22 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by LT. Col Shannon</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">he out thought Alexander and conserved his ammo for the actual charge of Pickett.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

More accurate to say that Hunt "out thought" Longstreet. Alexander was just following orders to "keep it hot...", and doing everything he could to alert his commanders of the situation with the ammo.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Not necessarily. In Alexander's account, he says that he urged Longstreet to give the command to move forward, but Longstreet did not. Finally, Pickett moved them to the attack.

ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:06 am 

The AoP finally had a command that could be on par with the ANV if not out think them to an extent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:35 am 
I don't know Ernie. Sounds like another example of trying to blame someone else for Longstreet's mistakes. If Longstreet had not unnecesssarily delayed, the attack at the very least could have been made with a bit more smoke concealing his troops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:56 am 

Afraid I am not a Longstreet fan. He did at Gettysburg what he did at Seven Pines, passively did everything he could to make the commander's plans fail. Somehow he shifted the blame at Seven Pines even though he should have been releaved of his command for his actions there. At Gettysburg apparently Lee didn't feel he had a replacement for him but his actions on the second and third day should have lost him his command or at least sent him West like most other officers Lee found wanting. Wait he did go West, interesting.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:10 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
<font face="Andale Mono"><font size="4"><font color="pink">I have to agree with Kennon! I am currently reading Stackpole's book, Cedar Mountain to Antietam, and during the battle of Second Bull Run, Lee was urging Longstreet forward with his Boys, Longstreet was able to put off the attack that Lee wanted. Stackpole makes a case that Longstreet's insubordination started there and ended with the business at Gettysburg, both the attack on day 2 and of course day 3! For what it is worth!

However, I do like the painting!

Respectfully,</font id="pink">

</font id="size4"></font id="Andale Mono">

<font color="pink">Nick Kunz
[img]C:\FrontPage%20Webs\Content\library\vol_1\v1p2_files\CsaGenStaffB.gif[/img]
General
Commandant, VMI
Confederate States of America</font id="pink">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:02 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by LT. Col Shannon</i>
<br />I don't know Ernie. Sounds like another example of trying to blame someone else for Longstreet's mistakes. If Longstreet had not unnecesssarily delayed, the attack at the very least could have been made with a bit more smoke concealing his troops.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That is what I was saying. Alexander urged Longstreet to order the attack, but Longstreet delayed and did not order it. Pickett went ahead and attacked.

ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:47 am 
I. Alexander was not even the highest ranking Confederate artillery officer at Gettysburg, and given that the bombardment on Day 3 involved guns from all 3 corps and the artillery reserve, the true commander was Nelson Pendelton. Longstreet deferred to Alexander only because of the connection with his own corps and close proximity to where Longstreet was sitting.

II. Only 1/3 of the attacking force came from Longstreet's corps, the remaining 2/3 from Hill, and therefore Hill should have truly been in command of the Pickett/Pettigrew/Trimble charge.

III. Some idiot moved the Confederate artillery reserve ammunition train farther to the rear during the bombardment to escape overshot Union counterfire, and didn't bother to tell Alexander or Pendleton where they took it, and it wasn't discovered until after the charge had been repulsed.

IV. Longstreet knew better than to attack - Pickett's charge would have failed no matter what time Longstreet ordered it to begin. The blame lies with Lee, not Longstreet. As is often the case with powerful generals, Lee allowed his ego to overcome his intellect and ignored the basic principles of warfare (one of which is surely never attack over 1 mile of open ground with the enemy able to fire upon you from three sides...)

V. General Johnson was with Longstreet at Seven Pines, waiting with his flanking column, but none of them could hear the sound of battle due to one of those freak atmospheric phenomenon and thus they did not know the battle had started.

VI. If Longstreet had committed his Corps piecemeal at Second Manassas on Day 2 it is highly likely that Pope would have been able to hold off those weaker attacks and then perhaps overwhelm the heavily outnumbered Confederates. As it was, Longstreet attacked with his entire Corps, overlapped Pope's ignored flank, and drove the Yankees back in dissarray. Pope being an idiot helped, of course...

I'm not a Longstreet apologist, but I do think he gets a great deal more blame than he truly deserved in many cases based on his actions in the post war era and getting on the bad side of so many other Confederate generals after the war when the history was first written.

Regards,

Brig. Gen. Alan Lynn
2nd Div, II Corps, AoA
VMI Training Staff

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:17 am 

How a man who witnessed Fredricksburg less than a year later could place into action an equally if not greater charge of death is very troublesome. I understand Lee's motives, but logic should have told him otherwise. Sadly I think it was hard for anyone to assess what the otherside had at its disposal, commanders, troops, artillery et al. So I don't blame just one person, a series of errors and fortuanes for bothsides occured.

The Union Artillery Reserve had not been used that much up to Pickett's Charge and Henry Hunt made a move that opened up the system and flow. He had ordered all Corps and Reserve supply trains to issues shots and shells to any cassions that came up, especially during Pickett's Charge. He also, to Hancock's anger, took personal charge of all artillery pieces from LRT to Cem. Hill and rode around like a mad man to evaluate the situation along the whole day.