American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Old Lady of Erin
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:54 am 

<font size="4"><font color="red">Is there any one out there that would like to fill this Old Lady of Erin's dance card.
A campaign maybe, she will leave the choice up to the gallant gentlemen of the Confederacy.
If there are no takers her sorrowful lament will be heard troughout the south.
What harm can she do you.</font id="red"></font id="size4">

General
Frank (Old Banshee) Mullins,
Connaught Brigade,
XV Corps,
Army of the Tennessee.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:15 am 
General:

Hate to see an old lady wail!
Rider of his way to your tent. [:D]

Brig Gen John Longstreet
Galveston Rifles
1/5/I/AoG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:27 am 

That is the freakiest picture I have seen in my life. [B)]

Lt. Col. Brad Slepetz
4th "Hell's Rifles" Brigade
1st Division
III Corps
AoG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:04 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by slepsta</i>
<br />That is the freakiest picture I have seen in my life. [B)]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It is a self-portrait.[;)][:o)]

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
President, Colonial Campaigns Club
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:41 am 

Excellent Comment Ernie!

I've injured myself laughing at it !

Unfortunately . . . . what You say is True!

Sorry Frank . . . but it was taken on one of Your BETTER days! [:D]

Pat.

Colonel Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Commanding
II Corps,
Army of Georgia.
"Spartan Southrons"
C.S.A.

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:26 pm 

<font color="limegreen">Yes gentlemen you can see the family likeness. Here is some information on the sweet girl.</font id="limegreen">
<font color="red">Banshee is Irish for fairy woman. This solitary woman fairy is noted for mourning and forewarning those only of the best families in Ireland. Each banshee has her own mortal family and whenever a member of her beloved family is dying, she paces the dark hills about their house. She sharply contrasts against the night's blackness, her white figure emerges with hair streaming to the ground.

There is no harm or evil in her mere presence, unless she is seen in the act of crying, for this is a fatal sign. The wail of a banshee pierces the night and always announces a mortal's death. Her sharp, cries and wails are also called "keening".

Unseen, banshees attend the funerals of the beloved dead. Sometimes she can be heard wailing, her voice blending in with the mournful cries of mortals. Out of love she follows her family to distant lands and overseas. Her wails can be heard in America and England, wherever the true Irish have settled for an Irishman never forgets their blood ties and neither does a Banshee.
Many times our families banshee has visited us before a death in the family, a bird (the form our families Banshee takes)will fly around inside our house. The banshee takes on various forms when you see her in one of these forms it is some relation who will die. When you see her as she really is then it is you.
Pat I am sure you can add to the above.
General Longstreet, the old lady will visit you later on today.</font id="red">

General
Connaught Brigade,
XV Corps,
Army of the Tennessee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:02 pm 

"The bean-sidhe (woman of the fairy- Ban=woman shee=fairy or hill)may be an ancestral spirit appointed to forewarn members of certain ancient Irish families of their time of death. According to tradition, the banshee can only cry for five major Irish families: the O'Neills, the O'Briens, the O'Connors, the O'Gradys and the Kavanaghs. Intermarriage has since extended this select list.

Whatever her origins, the banshee chiefly appears in one of three guises: a young woman, a stately matron or a raddled old hag. These represent the triple aspects of the Celtic goddess of war and death, namely Badhbh, Macha and Mor-Rioghain.)The Banshee She usually wears either a grey, hooded cloak or the winding sheet or grave robe of the unshriven dead. She may also appear as a washer-woman, and is seen apparently washing the blood stained clothes of those who are about to die. In this guise she is known as the bean-nighe (washing woman).

Although not always seen, her mourning call is heard, usually at night when someone is about to die. In 1437, King James I of Scotland was approached by an Irish seeress or banshee who foretold his murder at the instigation of the Earl of Atholl. This is an example of the banshee in human form. There are records of several human banshees or prophetesses attending the great houses of Ireland and the courts of local Irish kings. In some parts of Leinster, she is referred to as the bean chaointe (keening woman) whose wail can be so piercing that it shatters glass. In Kerry, the keen is experienced as a "low, pleasant singing"; in Tyrone as "the sound of two boards being struck together"; and on Rathlin Island as "a thin, screeching sound somewhere between the wail of a woman and the moan of an owl".

The banshee may also appear in a variety of other forms, such as that of a hooded crow, stoat, hare and weasel - animals associated in Ireland with witchcraft."

There is a rich folklore about the <i>sidhe</i> (pronounced "shee") throughout Ireland and Highlands of Scotland.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
President, Colonial Campaigns Club
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:07 am 
Frank and Ernie:

I thought I knew a little of the legend of the wailing ladies, but both your posts are very informative, THANKS!! [^]

General Mullin,
Did my rider make it through?[?]
If not you may respond here to me [url="mailto:"]lmjarl@aol.com[/url]
We will set the battlefield to get this party going![:p][;)]

Brig Gen John Longstreet
Galveston Rifles
1/5/I/AoG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:22 am 

Ernie, I bow my head to you. You are well schooled in the legend.
What ya got to add to Ernie's post Pat do you know any more of the old girl.
I always knew I had royal blood in me ;-).

General
Connaught Brigade,
XV Corps,
Army of the Tennessee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:53 pm 

Hi Frank (Mullins)!

I am impressed and a li'll humbled by Ernie's in-depth knowledge of the Auld Wan.

I can't add much to Her Legend . . . but I can give a li'll more background.

Na Sídhe (Nuh Shee-duh) are believed to have been the original Irish, back when Ireland was known as Banba. Their true name was Na Túatha Dé Dannan (Nuh Tooha day Don-on) and it's believed that they were a mongrel Race of Greek and Egyptian DNA. Some argue that the Greek part was actually Atlantean . . . but that depends on whether Ye believe in Atlantis or not. Na Sídhe told Tales of a mystical land on the Western Horizon of the Atlantic call Tír na n-Óg (Tear nuh Knowg - "Tear" as in Boo Hoo Tears & "Knowg" as in known, but with the n sound replaced with the guh of a G.)

TnÓg was a Land of Eternal Youth and Beauty . . . again it all ties in with Atlantis. [:p]

The Milesians arrived in Ireland around the end of the Bronze Age - these were the Celts. They whomped 7 shades of Sh*te outta the T Dé D, and took over. The T Dé D, faded into the background - never quite disappearing and became Na Sídhe or "Fairy folk" or "Little People" of Irish Legend. There are some that argue that because of a Tendancy within the Irish Language to name things Literally - The Little People should be re-labelled as the Faded or Disposessed People.

Na Sídhe had a fear of Iron and a nick from an iron weapon was enuff to poison their Blood and kill them. Funny - the Celts were the 1st Race to use Iron weapons in Warfare . . . see how the legend grows? [:D]

Back to Our Ancient crone for the Ending. The T Dé D, were a Druidic Race and regarded the Hawthorn Tree as sacred. lo & behold . . . Na Sídhe also revere the Hawthorn and curse those that dare to cut one down. If Ye have a Hawthorn growing in your Garden AND are also a member of one of the Families "entitled" to a Banshee . . . . if Ye hear Her Keening and wailing, look under the Hawthorn Tree. There's where She'll be standing . . . beneath the Boughs of the "Fairie Tree"! [;)]

I'm afraid Frank . . . that's all I can add to Ernie's excellent synopsis of the Banshee Legend.

I hope it was entertaining! [:D] [:o)]

Pat.

Colonel Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Commanding
II Corps,
Army of Georgia.
"Spartan Southrons"
C.S.A.

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:44 am 

<font color="red"><font size="3">Your scaring me now, I have always believed I was a Celt blue eyes red hair, I also believe the our Banshee takes the form of a bird.
Last week I removed an injured bird from under!!! a hawthorn tree in the garden. My mother died two months ago and I have birds hit the windscreen of the car and also the house and my sister has had the same thing happen to her.</font id="size3"></font id="red">Image

General
Connaught Brigade,
XV Corps,
Army of the Tennessee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:46 am 

<font size="4"><font color="red">Freak!! Freak Ah to be called the same thing as my hero Alice Cooper how kind of you Mr Lateur, who said the only good thing to come out of Holland was Van Nistelrooy.
Now I was thinking of a campaign not just one battle.
As to cutting ones head off well she is already dead she would just pick it up and reattach it. If it is my head you are talking about there are a few confederate officers who want that, many have tried alas only one or two have come close.
So what about the whole Gettysburg campaign!!!!!!
Pick your options and send your courier if he is not scared to venture our way.</font id="red"></font id="size4">

General
Connaught Brigade,
XV Corps,
Army of the Tennessee.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]