American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:51 pm 

Gentlemen,

I've been eagerly awaiting release of the Banshee teams leader & units package for gettysburg. Now it's here I want to get a 3 versus 3 MP game going using Gen. Ross McDaniels excellent variant of the 3 day battle. His custome scenario really opens up the options for both teams on the historical map.

I suggest it's well worth the time and effort for all of us to have a go at this classic confrontation on one of the best custom variants I've seen.

Please post here or send riders to my tent at digglyda[at]aol[dot]com and let's get something going?
As I say: A 3 versus 3 affair is probably the best arrangement for an MP game so let's see if we can get a good mix of talent & experience on board.

Last edited by Ernie Sands on Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Email

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:26 am 
As I see no response, as yet,to BG Wilkes' challenge with my HPS 007 mod which uses default release and arrival times, I will offer an expanded explanation on that modified scenario, and a latest enhanced mod version which I have been developing.

My latest version of HPS 007 variant, "Battle Beyond Gettysburg," has added variable release times for on map units and the arrival of reinforcements as well as the earlier mod's increase to a one time divisional resupply for small arms fire for both armies. The added army trains and extra divisional supply units also have variable arrival times.
Variable release and arrival times are intended to greatly increase fog-of-war. Historical accuracy is somewhat sacrificed to adding uncertainty to commanders' knowledge of enemy capabilities. We tend to know too much about enemy deployments and the timing of their ability to arrive at battle fronts.
Units may be moving as much as two hours earlier or delayed indefinitely.
All Union on map units may be released, contrary to the default HPS 007 scenario. While theoretically possible that fixed/arriving units might never move, mod design is favorable toward releases close to the default release/arrival times.

Both versions are designed to give a realistic experience for both armies' commanders of deciding where to fight or avoid fighting, mostly on the bottom 2/3s of the large HPS 007 map.

Objective hexes:
The ANV is in enemy territory, Pennsylvania, and all initial VP hexes, except Cashtown (300 VPs), are in Union held locations and must be captured for the ANV to gain objectives' VPs.

There are 6 primary objective hexes in the Gettysburg vicinity for a total of 1500 VPs: Gettysburg town, Cemetery Hill, Culp's Hill, Power's Hill, LRT's Taneytown crossroads, and the Peach Orchard crossroads.

On the latest mod, there are 10 intermediate 100 point VP hexes past or outside the Gettysburg vicinity at crossroads and towns such as Two Taverns which the ANV may find worthwhile to run up its score and area control if the AoP commander decides to fall back and wait for reinforcements.

There are two west edge ANV supply road VP hexes (200 VPs each) with accompanying 100 VP objective hexes, in case the ANV commander decides to move his entire army south and abandon the Cashtown road supply route for more forces deployed to threaten Washington DC and Baltimore. Lee can thus establish supply lines south of Cashtown and shorten his supply line.

Finally, the final objective towns of New Oxford (3000 VPs), Littlestown (4000 VPs), Taneytown(5000 VPs), and Emmitsburg (3000 VPs) when captured represent successful advances by the ANV far beyond Gettysburg to threaten major Union cities.
It makes for a dull game if the ANV digs in around Gettysburg while the AoP hangs back waiting for reinforcements. This mod is designed to encourage ANV aggression and AoP willingness to stand and fight if the ANV advances after capturing Cemetery Ridge.
The AoP should have to pay to recapture strategic real estate that it gives up without fighting and the AoP commander should suffer political pressure if he allows the ANV to advance toward major cities without opposition.

This scenario mod works well for multiplayer games, the large map, far flung objectives, and large forces giving both sides plenty of opportunities to fight battles in separate mini campaigns to capture large value town hexes.

The earlier version offered by BG Wilkes is very similar, only lacking the intermediate objective hexes, and variable release and arrival of on-map units/reinforcements. Both mods are also quite promotional in that the rebels can attempt to push on far past Gettysburg....or dig in and try to hold against a Union superior force.

If interest and response are preferable toward playing the latest version, I shall be glad to provide it to all players. It is not yet fully play tested, but I have confidence that it will work. Right now, I am putting some final touches to it that will add FoW.

EDIT: Unfortunately, the variable release version is still not ready for play. I am now studying probability to solve such problems as....the probability that the exact default times for units' release and arrival are only 50% that it will happen before or on schedule, with a chance that units may be released hours or later.
What if.....the XII Corps divisions may start moving about the same time that Wadsworth and Doubleday divisions start their march....or not,.... and Rodes and Early also have independent possible release times.

Last edited by Ross McDaniel on Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:43 pm 

Right, a rather slow response gentlemen ...which is a shame I must say, but we now have enough players to get things rolling with a 2 versus 2.
Room for an additional player on each team as the forces come into play.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:06 am 

I am interested. I will email Gen Wilkes.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:45 pm 

Howdy Guys,

Still need a reb for the team? I'm interested, but after the weekend. Leaving tonight and be back sometime Sunday. If accepted, drop me an email at markvacc1[at]aol[dot]com with a list of everything I need to have and where to get it.

MG Mark Vaccaro
4/II/AoG/CSA

Last edited by Ernie Sands on Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Email