American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:00 pm 
Great book by Larry Daniel.

Very detailed account of the battle of Shiloh and well worth a read before visiting the battlefield.

A special note!
I have the book in paperback and it was fine to read.

I also did a digital download on Amazon and... OH MY GOD... mistake! I never have seen so many slpeling eorros in my life! It was amlost unread a ble. I meen every other sen tence had some sort of ricculous error that just driven me nitz. For most of the book Collonel Allen was called Colonel Alien. :shock:

Buy it on paperback! Sad data transfer (worst I have ever seen by far!).

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:46 am 

I have a copy in hardcover, Xmas gift some years back as were many of the books in my library. Been a while since I've read it, will have to revisit it soon. Shiloh is on my list of battlefields to visit someday. I've visited many of the eastern theater battlefields, living in western Pa and having been stationed in Virginia during my time in the Marines . I did manage to spend a day each at Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain and Stone's River a few years back when I went to Nashville for TCIII.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:48 pm 

To my mind, Daniel writes too much like he has something to prove, or perhaps dis-prove. I much prefer Wiley Sword's "Shiloh Bloody April."

V Corps/AOP/USA

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:47 pm 
Daniel gives a lot of time and pages to the Sunken Road in his book. In Timothy Smith's more recent works on Shiloh he has really began to convince others, including me, that the most important fighting of the day wasn't done on the Sunken Road but rather by McClernand and Sherman. Smith points at the records of the battle written by the commanders who largely overlooked/ignored the Sunken Road in the aftermath of the battle. He also states that the mass graves of Shiloh are all located elsewhere and not by the Sunken Road (meaning more fighting went on elsewhere). He argues that it wouldn't have made any sense to bury Confederate dead a half-mile or mile from where they fell and all the mass graves are located elsewhere. Even the burial pits of Union regiments were largely away from the Sunken Road. Smith interestingly paints a different Shiloh picture and believes the popular Shiloh interpretation stems from the first Park Service Historian, and Shiloh veteran, David W. Reed. Reed served in an Iowa regiment along the Sunken Road and may have purposefully made the role the Iowa units played a bit more crucial than they actually were. He also believes the guided tour rout, laid out by Reed back in the early 20th Century, was made to emphasize the importance of the Sunken Road as the crucial point on the field. Only in the past five years has the battlefield FINALLY re-routed the tour to include more of the fields around the Sunken Road to tell the full story of the fight put up by Sherman and McClernand.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:38 am 

Blake wrote:
Daniel gives a lot of time and pages to the Sunken Road in his book. In Timothy Smith's more recent works on Shiloh he has really began to convince others, including me, that the most important fighting of the day wasn't done on the Sunken Road but rather by McClernand and Sherman. Smith points at the records of the battle written by the commanders who largely overlooked/ignored the Sunken Road in the aftermath of the battle. He also states that the mass graves of Shiloh are all located elsewhere and not by the Sunken Road (meaning more fighting went on elsewhere). He argues that it wouldn't have made any sense to bury Confederate dead a half-mile or mile from where they fell and all the mass graves are located elsewhere. Even the burial pits of Union regiments were largely away from the Sunken Road. Smith interestingly paints a different Shiloh picture and believes the popular Shiloh interpretation stems from the first Park Service Historian, and Shiloh veteran, David W. Reed. Reed served in an Iowa regiment along the Sunken Road and may have purposefully made the role the Iowa units played a bit more crucial than they actually were. He also believes the guided tour rout, laid out by Reed back in the early 20th Century, was made to emphasize the importance of the Sunken Road as the crucial point on the field. Only in the past five years has the battlefield FINALLY re-routed the tour to include more of the fields around the Sunken Road to tell the full story of the fight put up by Sherman and McClernand.

I have not read the book by Daniels, but agree with what you have said here. I grew up an hour's drive from the battlefield and used to play on the cannon when I was a kid (50's and 60's). Back then, the main entrance to the park was the Corinth Road and entered where the old hotel used to be. As you drove in, you were basically following the path of the attack. The Tennessee River was a clear blue then.

For anyone who has not been there, put it at the top of your list. It is isolated from any large communities and there is no issue of them building a shopping mall or a racetrack anywhere near it. Oh, and make sure you eat at the Catfish Hotel.

> "Gator Alley"

Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler !!!