American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:11 am 

I second that. The Bascom Affair was very interesting( I'd hate to live in Arizona or New Mexico during the Civil War!) The description of boiling a man's brain while he was tied to a wagon wheel was particularly revolting). But it led me to Military History Online. I never knew that existed. I used to read the Magazine regularly but for some reason stopped. Now I have it on my computer as one of my favorites. I have plenty of reading to do.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:28 pm 

The Bascom Affair was very interesting reading - had not heard of it before

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:33 pm 

As usual. the US Infantry made a bad situation worse. If only they had let Cochise find the perpetrators for them, it would have prevented the bloodshed that followed for years.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:13 pm 

March/April Archaeology Magazine:

An encrypted message in a bottle dating to the Civil War has been removed and deciphered by codebreakers. "You can expect no help from this side of the river," began the unsigned message, which is in a museum collection. It was meant for Lieutenant General John C. Pemberton, in response to his request for aid during the siege of Vicksburg in Mississippi. But the note never reached his hands--it was dated July 4, 1863, the date he surrendered to Ulysses S. Grant.

Army of the Tennessee
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:13 pm 

Was the gun fight at Fort Smith all about succession?

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:20 am 

I'm not sure as they never answered my request for an interview, but maybe the mail and stage coach service in Arkansas has never recovered till this day after losing five overland mail and Little Rock coach drivers. This was one of the big news stories of the week that displaced the never ending moans of impending war.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:56 pm 

I shall look up to see what happened to Anderson during the rest of the war :?:

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:56 am 

It is very interesting to read the background of the many events that happened to make up the Civil War period.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:33 pm 

Ned,

Keep up the excellent work Suh, I don't make it here everyday but always make sure I get caught up when I do!
<salute>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:07 pm 

General Loring-The North was better off without him.
Here is the rest of the story :D (Quoted for wiki-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_W._Loring)

Upon offering his services to the Confederacy, Loring was promptly commissioned a brigadier general and given command of the Army of the Northwest. His first assignment was to defend western Virginia from Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan, who was invading from Ohio. He soon acquired the nickname, "Old Blizzards" for his battle cry, "Give them blizzards, boys! Give them blizzards!"

Loring served in the Vicksburg Campaign and was cut off from the rest of the army at the Battle of Champion Hill. He then marched down to join forces with Gen. Joseph E. Johnston and was under the command of Johnston and Lt. Gen. Leonidas Polk, respectively. Loring took over command of Polk's corps temporarily when Polk was killed at Pine Mountain, and was replaced that same day by Maj. Gen. Alexander P. Stewart. After being wounded at Ezra Church, Loring was out of action until after the fall of Atlanta. Upon returning he fought at Franklin, Nashville, and in the Carolinas.

Egypt

After the Confederate defeat in the Civil War, Loring served for nine years in the army of Isma'il Pasha, the Khedive of Egypt. He joined about fifty Union and Confederate veterans who had been recommended to the Khedive by William Tecumseh Sherman. Loring began as Inspector General of the army, a position in which he suggested various ways to modernize the army. He was then placed in charge of the country’s coastal defenses, where he oversaw the erection of numerous fortifications.

In 1875 he was promised the command of an Egyptian invasion of Abyssinia, however Ratib Pasha was given the assignment instead, and Loring was named chief of staff. Ratib Pasha was the ex-slave of the late Said Pawshar, the viceroy of Egypt, with negligible military qualifications; according to one of Loring's American compatriots, the freedman was "shrivelled with lechery as the mummy is with age."[1] The campaign against Abyssinia ended in disaster at the Battle of Gura, and the Egyptians blamed the Americans for the disaster

BG Elkin Horse Artillery/3rd Div/(2nd Cav)/XVI Corps AotT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:50 am 

Was Twiggs a Reb or just a bad dude?

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:01 pm 

This is what Wikipedia has to say about David Twiggs:

David Emanuel Twiggs (1790 – July 15, 1862) was a United States soldier during the War of 1812 and Mexican-American War and a general of the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War. He was one of the oldest generals on either side in the Civil War.

Twiggs was born on the "Good Hope" estate in Richmond County, Georgia, son of John Twiggs, a general in the Georgia militia during the American Revolution. Twiggs volunteered for service in the War of 1812 and subsequently served in the Seminole Wars and the Black Hawk War.

He was Colonel of the 2nd U.S. Dragoons at the outbreak of the Mexican-American War. He led a brigade in the Army of Occupation at the battles of Palo Alto and Resaca de la Palma. He was promoted to brigadier general and commanded a division at the Battle of Monterrey. He joined Winfield Scott's expedition, commanding its 2nd Division of Regulars and led the division in all the battles from Veracruz through Mexico City. He was wounded during the assault on Chapultepec. After the fall of Mexico City, he was appointed military governor of Veracruz. Brigadier General Twiggs was awarded a ceremonial sword by the Congress on March 2, 1847. (The sword was recovered when New Orleans was captured in 1862 and returned to the Twiggs family in 1889.)

After the Mexican-American War, Twiggs was appointed brevet major general and commanded the Department of Texas. He was in this command when the Civil War broke out. Twiggs's command included about 20% of the U.S. Army guarding the border of the U.S. and Mexico. As the states began to secede, Twiggs met with a trio of Confederate commissioners, including Philip N. Luckett and Samuel A. Maverick, and surrendered his entire command to them. Although Texas had not yet surrendered, the Buchanan Administration received news that Twiggs would surrender the Army's property to the secessionists, and sent a relief, Col. Carlos A. Waite. Twiggs, hearing he was to be relieved, made arrangements with Captain John R. Baylor and Texas Ranger Ben McCullough to bring 1,000 militia into San Antonio. Twiggs then used their presence as an excuse to surrender the Alamo, the San Antonio arsenal, and all other federal installations, property, and soldiers in Texas.

Twiggs subsequently was dismissed from the U.S. Army for “treachery to the flag of his country,” and accepted a commission as a major general from the Confederate States. He was appointed to command the Confederate Department of Louisiana, but his advanced age and health kept him from pursuing an active command. He was replaced by Maj. Gen. Mansfield Lovell in the command of New Orleans and retired on October 11, 1861. He died of pneumonia in Augusta, Georgia, and is buried at "Good Hope".

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:22 pm 

He was certainly a traitor then

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:11 pm 
Random plug for the Civil War on National TV by Vin Scully, the LA Dodgers broadcaster, who compared the Giants/Dodgers game tonight to the great War between the North and South :D

I'll take it! At least someone remembered.

Chances are old Scully was around to give the play-by play at Appomattox as well:

"Lee, wearing a grey uniform and sword, takes his steps toward the large farmhouse with all eyes on him. His long-time opponent, Grant, is now coming in wearing mud-splattered boots. Grant, a native of Illinois, is undefeated in the War thus far. Grant, Ulysses S., was traded mid-season to the Eastern League and has been called upon to save the game for Lincoln...."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:43 pm 

This continues to be a daily read. The development of the political and military ideas make great reading.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next