American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:38 am 

Not a topic about a specific book but rather your format of choice.
I find a nice balance between all of them.
First, you can't beat a good hard copy. I usually buy mine second hand and don't feel bad about writing in the margins and highlighting specific sections. I know hard back is the collectors choice but the majority of mine are paper back. Maybe one day I'll own a nice leather bound set of my favorites...you know, after I hit the lotto. :D
I will forever preach the benefit of e-books. You simply cannot beat the search feature they offer. It's also nice to have a tablet or iPad with you on the field instead of a backpack of books. I'm blessed to have most of my Gettysburg reference books as e-books as well as hard copies.
Audiobooks are my favorite. It seems my retention for information is best when I hear it. Yes. I have also read an e-book while listening to the same book on audio, following along with the reader.
As anybody who enjoys audiobooks as well as I do can tell you, it depends on the reader. I've listened to some ( Stephen Sears Gettysburg to be exact) that made me want to gouge my ear drums out with a red hot poker. Grover Gardner is my favorite (the guy who reads Shelby Foote's three volume classic on the Civil War).
Just curious as to where you gentlemens affections lie when it comes to "books".

2nd Corp

AoT
"Let's fill up our canteens, boys. Some of us will be in hell before nightfall and we'll need the water"

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:12 am 

I find it odd the two audiobooks you mentioned are the two I have on my iPhone now. It's like you are my evil Yankee alter-ego.

But, I use all the formats as well. I listen to books while jogging. Read a physical book when it is cheaper than the kindle version. And use my kindle the majority of the time. An iPad on a battlefield visit is a must. You are right about the search feature being invaluable. Remember the days of using the index in the back - gone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:51 am 

The good old days of reaching into your backpack for that certain book...only to find you didn't bring it because you didn't think you would need it. Lol
Do you use Overdrive, General? I highly recommend it if you don't have it.
Think about it, Rob. We're the last of a dying breed that can actually use a card catalog! I often stop and think of how we use to do it before our phones became mini laptops.

2nd Corp

AoT
"Let's fill up our canteens, boys. Some of us will be in hell before nightfall and we'll need the water"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:39 pm 

For me the definite preference is hard copy, a real book. I like something tangible for money I have spent.

Second would be e-books. Useful for out-of-print titles that could not be found elsewhere as a real book (except at exorbitant prices or as poor copies). I value highly the ever expanding list of e-books that are freely available on the internet as well as source documents and other materials that can be found on websites such as Library of Congress (e.g. a lot to like about this map https://www.loc.gov/item/99446754/).

Last, and the very least to me, are audiobooks. Whenever I read a passage from Foote's The Civil War I can hear his voice speaking the words, I would not want to hear anything else.

Cadet Swanson

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia