American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:01 pm 

Received this for Christmas, had taken my family to Gettysburg on several of my annual visits and my daughter knew of my interest in Longstreet from us visiting his statue when they finally put one up for him there in 1998. Author Cory Pfarr presents evidence refuting the myth created by the 'Lost Cause" clique in their bid to deify Lee and get back at Longstreet for his acceptance of the defeat and attempts to reconcile southerners to the loss by blaming him for the loss at Gettysburg.

Being a Pennsylvania boy I am much more interested in the Union generals but always felt Longstreet was ignored in the myth building of Jackson and Lee. Little of this was new for me as I had rejected this myth long ago but it was nice to see someone put it all together in one volume. The author collects information from primary sources to refute the claims of the 'Lost Cause' authors and many of the late 20th century writers who swallowed it hook line and sinker.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:13 pm 

An excellent read, sir. I have it in my library as well.

2nd Corp

AoT
"Let's fill up our canteens, boys. Some of us will be in hell before nightfall and we'll need the water"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:30 pm 

I've always subscribed to General Lee's comments in his farewell address to his troops when he said "After four years of arduous service marked by unsurpassed courage and fortitude, the Army of Northern Virginia has been compelled to yield to overwhelming numbers and resources." If this makes me a 'Lost Causer' then so be it.

I know that Lee continued to correspond with Longstreet after the war and I do not feel that there was any long held animosity between them. I'm also a strong supporter of Longstreet and enjoyed very much reading his memoirs which can be found online for free at https://archive.org/details/manassasappomatt00longrich and a few other places.

One of my favourite anecdotes about artillery comes from General Longstreet's memoir where he recounts the Battle of Sharpsburg (Antietam).
"During the lull, after the rencounter of Walker's, Hill's, and Hood's divisions against Mansfield's last fight, General Lee and myself, riding together under the crest of General D. H. Hill's part of the line, were joined by the latter. We were presently called to the crest to observe movements going on in the Union lines. The two former dismounted and walked to the crest; General Hill, a little out of strength and thinking a single horseman not likely to draw the enemy's fire, rode. As we reached the crest I asked him to ride a little apart, as he would likely draw fire upon the group. While viewing the field a puff of white smoke was seen to burst from a cannon's mouth about a mile off. I remarked, "There is a shot for General Hill," and, looking towards him, saw his horse drop on his knees. Both forelegs were cut off just below the knees. The dropping forward of the poor animal so elevated his croup that it was not an easy matter for one not an expert horseman to dismount à la militaire. To add to the dilemma, there was a rubber coat with other wraps strapped to the cantle of the saddle. Failing in his attempt to dismount, I suggested that he throw his leg forward over the pommel. This gave him easy and graceful dismount. This was the third horse shot under him during the day, and the shot was one of the best I ever witnessed. An equally good one was made by a Confederate at Yorktown. An officer of the Topographical Engineers walked into the open, in front of our lines, fixed his plane table and seated himself to make a map of the Confederate works. A non-commissioned officer, without orders, adjusted his gun, carefully aimed it, and fired. At the report of the gun all eyes were turned to see the occasion of it, and then to observe the object, when the shell was seen to explode as if in the hands of the officer. It had been dropped squarely upon the drawing-table, and Lieutenant Wagner was mortally wounded.[66] Of the first shot, Major Alfred A. Woodhull, under date of June 8, 1886, wrote,—

"On the 17th of September, 1862, I was standing in Weed's battery, whose position is correctly given in the map, when a man on, I think, a gray horse, appeared about a mile in front of us, and footmen were recognized near. Captain Weed, who was a remarkable artillerist, himself sighted and fired the gun at the horse, which was struck."
Of this shot, Captain A. B. More, of Richmond, Virginia, wrote, under date of June 16, 1886,—

"The Howitzers have always been proud of that shot, and, thinking it would interest you, I write to say that it was fired by Corporal Holzburton, of the Second Company, Richmond Howitzers, from a ten-pound Parrott."

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia